PDA

View Full Version : Parking - DYER GAP

Hammock Hanger
08-18-2008, 20:42
Has anyone ever parked a car at this trailhead for a week long hike?? Did it seem safe? Anyone know of a large vandal activity at this trail head??

I am thinking of parking a car here to be at the end of our GA Pinhoti hike.

It would be in Nov and hunting will probably be going on.

Thanks for any info or alternative ideas.

Marta
08-18-2008, 20:49
Your knees are doing better?

Hammock Hanger
08-18-2008, 21:05
Your knees are doing better?

Well it has basically been over a year since I hiked (with exception of two days with Mowgli in January.)

I have done PT and today I started my "rooster juice" injections. It has not been too bad and I noticed that I have all 10 toenails which means I should be on the trail.

This will be a short one week hike to see what condition I'm in. It has been rough being away from the trail so I am hoping for the best!!!!

MOWGLI
08-18-2008, 21:38
Sue, in all honesty, if I was gonna hike with a knee like yours, the Georgia Pinhoti is definitely not the trail I'd choose. And it has nothing to do with the terrain. I'd just be a bit more selective with my cherry picking.

Hammock Hanger
08-18-2008, 21:43
Sue, in all honesty, if I was gonna hike with a knee like yours, the Georgia Pinhoti is definitely not the trail I'd choose. And it has nothing to do with the terrain. I'd just be a bit more selective with my cherry picking.

Thanks for the input. Have yu hiked this section? Rugged mountains? Thinking of the descents.

Tennessee Viking
08-19-2008, 01:01
Has anyone ever parked a car at this trailhead for a week long hike?? Did it seem safe? Anyone know of a large vandal activity at this trail head??

I am thinking of parking a car here to be at the end of our GA Pinhoti hike.

It would be in Nov and hunting will probably be going on.

Thanks for any info or alternative ideas.I just day hiked Dyer Gap to Watson Gap on the BMT in the spring. I was the only hiker on trail. And only saw a group of mountain bikers on the forest road. The Pinhoti terminus is only a couple miles down river from Dyer Gap, where the BMT turns away from the S. Jack Fork Trail. There is also Shadow Falls off the BMT just below Dyer Gap trailhead.

Dyer Gap is pretty remote. I guess it used to be the main mountain road long time ago, being called Old GA 2 Road.

There is some parking there but not a lot. And there is an active cemetary next to the parking area. That is all I really know for the trailhead. The next trailhead after Dyer Gap is the highway crossing near Elijay.

From the signs of it, it is a pretty active area for riding horses and mountain bikers. Contact BMTA for parking history.

CBSSTony
08-19-2008, 07:54
I have not parked there either, but there is a campground not too far, to the SW. Jacks River Fields, maybe. Its set up for horses, but is fairly close to Dyer Gap and the Northern Terminus of the Pinhoti Trail. It may be worth the cost of a camp site. I have thought about using it for some section hiking of either of these trails.

Mother Nature
08-19-2008, 08:21
It has been several years since we have parked there. When we lived in Marietta it was a trailhead we used often. We have never had a problem with vandalism.