PDA

View Full Version : Lets Share Trail Receipes...

Happy
03-07-2004, 01:31
There are lots of lightweight foods for the trail, but most are very bland at best, so let us SHARE OUR FAVORITE RECEPIES even if it is just for the first night out:

My favorite dinner is burritos. I usually shop at Publics or Kroger and go to the health food section and look for "Fantastic Foods" dehyrated Taco filling, Instant refried beans, Black beans, or Sloppy Joe mix (all of these are soybased). First night out ONLY you may cut up and freeze, steak, chicken breast or shrimp. Place above in ziplock (if using dehyrated) with small amount of couscous...my favorite is "Near East" roasted garlic & olive oil.

Cut green peppers, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes and put in ziplock bag. Purchase, cheese, Tortillas (my favorite are tumaro's gourmet from Public's). Go by Taco Bell or local conveniece store and pick up packets of taco salsa.

In camp heat water and cook couscous and dehyrated soy-based meat in cozy, see SGT Rock's lemonade jar for instructions on how to make onehttp://hikinghq.net

My lid to my cookpot is a non stick frying pan (or just use your pot...add olive oil and the zip-lock of vegetables) and if using frozen meat/chicken/shrimp add those and cook until tender.

Pull out your burritos shells, salsa packets, cheese, roll and enjoy!

Rain Man
03-07-2004, 11:12
My lid to my cookpot is a non stick frying pan (or just use your pot...add olive oil and the zip-lock of vegetables) and if using frozen meat/chicken/shrimp add those and cook until tender. Pull out your burritos shells, salsa packets, cheese, roll and enjoy!

I got to see and smell Happy's recipe when he cooked it at the Springer Mountain Shelter last weekend. It looked and smelled GREAT. I was drooling. I would've called it fajitas, rather than burritos, but what the hey. :)

Up until I saw Happy's concoction, my favorite was "Camp Fire Pizza," which is even easier than Happy's fajitas, or maybe not.

Buy at the grocercy store or Super Wal-Mart a package of 6" or 7" Baboli (or whatever brand) pizza crusts, precooked and ready to eat, in sealed plastic "bags/pouches." They look a lot like pita bread to me. Buy some pre-sliced pepperoni (you can substitute hamburger, sausage, anchoives, veggies, whatever) in little sealed plastic bags. Buy package of shredded cheese. Buy can, jar, or pouch of "pizza sauce." I learned the hard way... if you buy a can, take a can-opener! LOL

To cook (over camp stove or camp fire, either one), I use the non-stick lid/frying pan of my cook-set, which the pizza crusts fit into perfectly, size-wise. First, put several tablespoons of water in the lid, then the crust, then smear some sauce all over the top of the crust, next some pepperoni/whatever, finally some cheese. Place the pot (the bottom of the cook-set) upside down on the lid. Get the picture? Instead of the lid being on the pot, the pot is on the lid. Place over the fire.

The water will create steam to melt the cheese and heat everything. I can smell when the crust begins to brown/burn after the water steams away and that's when I take it off the fire. I use the plastic pouch the crusts came in as a plate, onto which I slide the "pizza" from the lid, then cut it into quarters... and share!

The crusts come in 3-packs. I never use all the pepperoni, so I eat the rest of it for a spicey, salty treat later or the next day at a lunch stop.

I have only done this on mini-section hikes, so haven't had the worry of weight, but I'd definitely look for foil pouches of pizza sauce otherwise. Don't know about dehydrating it.

Enjoy! The folks at Springer Shelter last Sunday evening sure did.

:banana

Drynfood
04-29-2004, 15:48
Here's one of my favorite recipes from "Easy Dehydrated Gourmet Meals":

Cheesy White Cheddar Shells with Shrimp
1 pkg. Lipton White Cheddar Shells
1/2 c. dried peas
1/4 c. dried onin
1/4 c. died red bell pepper
2 small cans medium shrimp, dried with juice
1/2 c. powdered milk
parmesan cheese

Dry all the stuff at home individually, THEN put it all together for your trail meal.
On the trail: Rehydrate peas, onion and bell pepper in hot water for 20 minutes away from the heat.
Prepare cheddar shells according to package directions. When noodles are done, add the veggies and dried shrimp. Simmer to thicken and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Makes 2 serving (each serving is 2 cups of food)

The Easy Dehydrated Gourmet Meals Cookbook is available online at www.northernoutpost.com (http://www.northernoutpost.com)

bobgessner57
05-04-2004, 10:58
Just tried a modified recipe from my daughter. Dehydrated 2 1/2 c cooked and rinsed black beans, 1 c frozen corn, and 1 c salsa, salt to taste, mixed all together and yield was 4 1/2 cups, 39.25 0z by weight before drying.

After dehydrating came up with 2 1/4 c loosely packed, 4.5 oz weight.

To rehydrate add scant cup of water to 3/4 cup of dried salsa. I tried no cook, it worked with cold water, took about 1 hour, was decent but not as good as cooked method, seemed to stay soupy, could maybe use less water. To cook I used same proportions, brought to boil for about 1 minute, put in cozy for 20. After 20 everything was soft but a bit runny, (but good). Let stand while beating my teenage kids away and it thickened as it cooled.

Tastes great hot or cold, would be excellent with cheese, burger, etc.
I figured about 3 tablespoons wet per 6 inch tortilla. So 1 cup wet would do about 5-6 tortillas or more depending on how much other stuff you pile on.

Calories are only about 190 per cup, 6 inch corn tortillas about 60 cal each.
I would call this filling but not high cal until you start packing on cheese, etc.
Good flexible meal you can customize to meet your requirements.

TakeABreak
08-20-2004, 18:00
I found that you can eat almost as well on the trail as do at home if you give it some before thought. I make spaghetti sauce, sloppy joes, taco sauce and such, dehydrate it. Vacuum seal it, just rehydrate on the trail and you have nice meal.

You can also dehydrate apple sauce, yogurt and such,wrap it in wax paper and vacuum seal it six months later in middle of the Whites you have a nice treat.

MOWGLI
08-20-2004, 18:37
One of my co-workers talks about an old Ed Garvey recipe that is made from Peanut Butter, Powdered Milk & Honey. He says it delicious. Sounds like it packs some calories too. I forget what he called it. Is anyone else familiar with this early form of Goo?

Chip
08-20-2004, 22:38
"Citadel Spread" from Ed's book "The New Appalachian Trail", see page 203.

18 oz. jar Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter
2 - 4 oz. bacon grease (residue from 6 -8 slices)
1/2 cup honey
2 -4 cups granular powdered milk (Carnation)

Add milk & stir until mix gets crunchy. Put in pint plastic freezer containers. It will keep in refrigerator indefinitely; it keeps for at least 3 weeks unrefrigerated.

Maybe this is the recipe ??

Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

MOWGLI
08-20-2004, 22:42
"Citadel Spread" from Ed's book "The New Appalachian Trail", see page 203.

18 oz. jar Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter
2 - 4 oz. bacon grease (residue from 6 -8 slices)
1/2 cup honey
2 -4 cups granular powdered milk (Carnation)

Add milk & stir until mix gets crunchy. Put in pint plastic freezer containers. It will keep in refrigerator indefinitely; it keeps for at least 3 weeks unrefrigerated.

Maybe this is the recipe ??

Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

That's it. Thanks Chip. BTW, my buddy did not mention the bacon grease.