PDA

View Full Version : permit and fishing license for JMT

garbanz
08-19-2008, 06:43
I'll be flying into Fresno Sept 4 to start my JMT thru hike (Happy Isles to Whitney Portal). I'll probably end up taking a bus to Yosemite via Merced. Where can I pick up a 10 day non resident fishing license?:sun Also at what office and when would it be best to seek a walkup JMT hiking permit?

MOWGLI
08-19-2008, 07:21
I'll be flying into Fresno Sept 4 to start my JMT thru hike (Happy Isles to Whitney Portal). I'll probably end up taking a bus to Yosemite via Merced. Where can I pick up a 10 day non resident fishing license?:sun Also at what office and when would it be best to seek a walkup JMT hiking permit?

You can pick-up the license at Yosemite. I have purchased licenses in both Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows. Same applies for the permit. If you're leaving from Yosemite Valley, that's where you'll need to pick-up your permit. The offices open at 7:30. Suggest you get there before it opens. You'll be getting a permit to start the following day.

garbanz
08-19-2008, 12:05
Its good to know I can get a fishing license right there. Next question:if I am required to obtain the hiking permit a day in advance, is there be a camping area close to the permit office that I can tent in without having a reservation?

MOWGLI
08-19-2008, 12:17
Its good to know I can get a fishing license right there. Next question:if I am required to obtain the hiking permit a day in advance, is there be a camping area close to the permit office that I can tent in without having a reservation?

Yes, relatively close to the permit office there is the backpackers campground. $5/day - no reservations.

MOWGLI
08-19-2008, 12:25
I'll add that you should not miss fishing the South Fork of the San Joaquin River. That's probably your best bet for big fish. If you are fly fishing - bring some big dry flies with lots of hackle. I had an expert fly fisherman give me a very large hand tied fly (size 6 or 8) and I lost it shortly thereafter on a big fish. :(

Phreak
08-19-2008, 22:02

Our paths should pass during my JMT hike with Doodah Man starting on 9/5 (NOBO).

garbanz
08-25-2008, 12:10
I thought it would be less crowded after Labor Day. I will try to avoid backpacking in the hottest part of the day. :welcomeWhat kind of high/low temps are you anticipating at the various elevations?

garbanz
08-25-2008, 12:15
Knowing I will be buying a 10 day nonresident fishing license for 21 days on the JMT I was wondering for which part of the trail should I have the 10 day license predated for (according to the best fishing).

Dogwood
08-27-2008, 21:24
You can pick-up the license at Yosemite. I have purchased licenses in both Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows. Same applies for the permit. If you're leaving from Yosemite Valley, that's where you'll need to pick-up your permit. The offices open at 7:30. Suggest you get there before it opens. You'll be getting a permit to start the following day.

MOWLI gives U good advice. I don't think U will have much of a problem with the hiking permit, particularly if U R applying for a permit during a weekday at that time of yr. Could also camp at Camp 4(the climber's campground). The backpacker's CG limits U to 2 nights. There is also a PO in Yosemite Valley(right next door to where U get the hiking permit) U can mail stuff to ahead of time so U don't have to haul eveything in to YNP. Just make sure U mail your gear Priority or Express mail and clearly mark it 'Please Hold For Thru-Hiker'. U will have to choose where U want to legally fish with the 10 day license. The first day or so of your hike and the last one U will probably not be fishing. U can interpret this as U will, but U R probably not going to come across more than a few rangers, at most, during your entire hike. I hiked the JMT in June/July 07 and wished I had brought a fishing pole and license, as I saw someone fishing at Rae Lakes catch 30 fish in 33 casts. On this yr's. thru-hike of the PCT I didn't make the same mistake. I caught 2 fish(mainly 10-12 Brook trout, but some Rainbows, Browns and 2 Dolly Vartens) for every 3 casts I made by simply tossing Rooster Tails and Panther Martins.

Egads
08-27-2008, 22:06
Our paths should pass during my JMT hike with Doodah Man starting on 9/5 (NOBO).

I am so jealous of you guys.

fiddlehead
08-27-2008, 23:19
I hike sometimes with a friend from Idaho who doesn't bring much food at all, just a fishing pole and hooks and a small frying pan. We eat good. (but i'm not saying where)