PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Authors from New England

mnof1000v
08-19-2008, 09:32
I'm looking for some authors of books about long-distance hiking trails (ie - the AT, PCT, CDT, etc.). Specifically, though, I'm looking for authors from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Southern Vermont, or Southern New Hampshire.

Any ideas? :-?

MOWGLI
08-19-2008, 09:47
For an event? Check the AMC catalog of titles.

mnof1000v
08-19-2008, 19:24
Yes, it's for a Grand Opening of an Eastern Mountain Sports in Foxboro, MA.

MOWGLI
08-19-2008, 19:37
If I was in your shoes, I wold look for an author or three that have written local or regional hiking guides. 99% of your hiking customers are day hikers. The long distance hiker is few and far between.

Good luck! I have coordinated a number of Writers Roundtables in my day. They are great fun!

mnof1000v
08-20-2008, 10:10
That's a good point Mowgli... I'll do some snooping.

Any ideas, though, while I search?

EAnderson
09-22-2008, 00:48
Not sure if he has written much about long distance hiking, but Steve Smith is a great resource and has authored many books about hiking in the Whites. He has co-authored some with Mike Dickerman, and both are in NH (but not in the southern part). Steve runs the Mountain Wanderer Map Store (in Lincoln, NH) which has tons of books.

rlharris
09-22-2008, 14:16
Ruth Doan MacDougall (daughter of Daniel Doan)
Kim Robert Nilsen (author of The Cohos Trail guidebook)
Steve Bushey & Angela Faeth (authors of White Mountains Map Book, owners of Map Adventures)
Marty Basch (author of some of the Winter Trails books)
Diane Bair & Pamela Wright

rlharris
09-24-2008, 15:34
Another thought. Many hiking guides for New Hampshire refer to J. E. Henry's (and others) logging operations throughout the Whites. Bill Gove, a retire forester from Vermont has written four books about logging. Three are tied into railroading (include J. E. Henry's exploits) and the fourth is about the log drives on the Connecticut River. While not about hiking per se, they are about the area the trails go through (and some of the trails use). He might be someone to consider for the store opening.

Toolshed
09-24-2008, 17:13
Bill Bryson ...... ;)