PDA

View Full Version : question for trail journal users

skinny minnie
08-19-2008, 11:01
Did you use pocket mail? Or did you have someone transcribe for you?

How many people used their phones to update their journals?

To me it just makes the most sense that if you have a phone with the ability, why not use it? Or is service going to be too spotty to make it worthwhile...

Can I have some input, please? Thanks everyone.

Footslogger
08-19-2008, 11:13
Did you use pocket mail? Or did you have someone transcribe for you?

How many people used their phones to update their journals?

To me it just makes the most sense that if you have a phone with the ability, why not use it? Or is service going to be too spotty to make it worthwhile...

Can I have some input, please? Thanks everyone.

=====================================

I hand journalled and sent home the pages every two weeks or so - - along with my pics on media cards. My wife would transcribe and upload the entries/pics. It worked well for me but YMMV.

For me the handwriting was faster than if I had attempted to type out the journals. I did, on occasion, pop into a library now and then and logon to TJ myself and do the entry and pic upload but for the most part my wife did the transcribing.

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
08-19-2008, 18:07
One year I hand wrote, it was not to my liking.

Next 6 years I used Pocketmail and had a transcriber cut and paste my notes to TJ.

I think I will probably use my phone when I hike next.

I am currently transcribing for Stumpknocker and he sends all his notes and pics via his cell phone. He has Verizone and gets pretty good reception. There are a few dead zones but that is to be expected when in the woods.

Thing is to have a transcriber to deal with it once you send it in. You don't want to be worrying about it while you should be enjoying the woods.

gravityman
08-19-2008, 18:42
Hand wrote and transcribed by poor Papa John. He was a saint!

If you can use your phone, go for it! It'll be a lot easier than having someone transcribe.

If you don't want the technology out there, someone will volunteer to transcribe. Just ask...

Gravity

Blissful
08-19-2008, 19:34
You are in town so often that it is pretty easy to update via the Internet. I took written notes in a small journal while inbetween towns and then transcribed them. Worked out fine for me.

Phreak
08-19-2008, 21:14
The Pocketmail service blows. I now use my Pocketmail as an electronic journal, then use Dragon Naturally Speaking to transfer it from the unit to my PC.

skinny minnie
08-21-2008, 09:05
Thanks guys. Any other input? I refuse to believe there are only 5 trailjournal users on here... :)

And I'd really like to know what phone service is best...

because I hate pay phones, and despite being a "grown up"... I know my mom is going to be freaking out! Sad, but true. I think having a phone with the best service in the woods will really help ease her mind, and besides that, I hate my phone and it's time to update.

Marta
08-21-2008, 09:08
I think the consensus is that Verizon is the best service.

When I did my AT TJ, I used PocketMail. Their customer service sucks, though, and I have never been able to get through to a human to reactivate the service, in spite of repeated efforts. After a while, I took that as a sign that I should not reactivate the service. For the JMT I used pen and notebook, then transcribed it when I got home. For this summer's little hike, I did the notebook part, but have never gotten around to the transcription part.

If I were setting off on another long hike, I would use the little device that Stumpknocker is using now. It's like a Blackberry, but much better.

Quoddy
08-21-2008, 09:10
I did my TJ of the Long Trail last year from my Verizon Blackberry. There were only a couple of days that I had to wait to send it because of no cell service, otherwise it was up daily including a couple of photos. I often tried to include a "live" photo taken while I was writing to give the reader an ijpression of "being there".

skinny minnie
08-21-2008, 09:11
Thanks Marta. That was really helpful.

And I'm intrigued. Definitely want to know what Stumpknocker is using!

Marta
08-21-2008, 10:02
... Definitely want to know what Stumpknocker is using!

I forget what it's called. Verizon service. Has a camera. Small keyboard. Looks a bit like PocketMail, but smaller. Whole service package was considerably cheaper than what I paid Nextel for phone service plus Blackberry data package.

smaaax
08-21-2008, 15:46
Verizon had pretty good service on the trail. Used a PDA phone and posted directly. If I did it again I would probably just email the entries to someone to post as you can do that with a weaker connection.