PDA

View Full Version : Getting canister fuel in Maine

Peanut
08-19-2008, 11:43
Hi there!! I'm almost to Maine and was looking at where I can buy canister fuel in Andover, Caratunk, Stratton, or Monson. The fuel article says I can get it in Gorham, Caratunk, and Monson, but my companion only mentions other fuels and not the Canister fuel. Does anyone know where in any of these towns I can purchase it? Thanks!!

Blissful
08-19-2008, 11:46
I don't know of any place offhand, esp since the Ferryman closed down his store. Might need someone to mail you a can ASAP to Shaws in Monson. Carry a bigger size can out of Gorham.

Jim Adams
08-19-2008, 11:51
Peanut,
Almost to Maine! Good job...must have been those martini's on Springer! :)

Steve probably has cannisters in Caratunk. You may be able to also get them in Monson at Shaw's. When I went thru in 2002, Steve was out of stock and so was Shaw's. I hitched a ride to Dover-Foxcroft and the outfitter there had them.

You can get them in Gorham. See if you can buy an extra and have it ground transported to another drop for you in Maine. Just some thoughts.

geek

smaaax
08-19-2008, 12:15
Peanut,
Almost to Maine! Good job...must have been those martini's on Springer! :)

Steve probably has cannisters in Caratunk. You may be able to also get them in Monson at Shaw's. When I went thru in 2002, Steve was out of stock and so was Shaw's. I hitched a ride to Dover-Foxcroft and the outfitter there had them.

You can get them in Gorham. See if you can buy an extra and have it ground transported to another drop for you in Maine. Just some thoughts.

geek

Nothing is open anymore in Caratunk except the PO and that outdoors place. No cannisters there.

Just grab one in gorham and check the hiker boxes if you are running low.

hammock engineer
08-19-2008, 13:11
None of those are going to have one. Last year Shaw's drove some other southbounders to an outfitters not too far away. They may have one, might have a big shuttle charge.

You can have one maildropped to you. You have to declare it and it gets a ground shipping only label. Somewhere on here there is a thread with the USPS regulation number that says you can. I printed that out and brought it in. That helped since the people working there did not believe me.

Kirby
08-22-2008, 21:13
Andover: No.

Rangeley: Large, yes. Small, no.

Caratunk: No.

Monson: Shaw's will shuttle you to Monson for 15 dollars per car load to Greenville, where there's an outfitter that sells canisters.

Kirby

KG4FAM
08-22-2008, 21:53
I called Sue at the Stratton Motel before I got there to check about fuel and she picked one up at the outfitter for me and just charged an extra buck for the trouble..

Kirby
08-23-2008, 20:56
I called Sue at the Stratton Motel before I got there to check about fuel and she picked one up at the outfitter for me and just charged an extra buck for the trouble..

Otherwise, Stratton does not have a place to purchase canisters, this seems like the best option for this town.

Kirby