PDA

View Full Version : What section Next?

barefoot
08-19-2008, 12:43
What section Next?

I live in Charlotte, NC and lead a church youth group on the trail every summer. We usually do 60 +/- miles over 5-6 days. We have done Davenport Gap to Hot Springs, Roan Mountain area, and this pass summer Mt Rogers/Damascus. So where should I go next? Can't do the Smokey's because of group size (that's another thread). Can't go past Maryland North because I would lose a whole day of driving. I do most of my AT hiking in these area so I'm not familiar with other great sections. Obviously we love great views, waterfalls, etc. We don't want 5 days of "woods". Thanks for any tips.

Kerosene
08-19-2008, 13:19
Atkins south to Damascus in southern Virginia. 75 easy miles with outstanding views. You could shorten to ~60 miles by starting at Partnership Shelter (VA-16).

[Oops, I guess I skipped over the part about you already covering Mt. Rogers. Sorry.]

Plodderman
08-19-2008, 13:25
I agree with Kerosene that is a very pleasant hike with great views. Good place to start at Partnership shelter also.

Just Plain Jim
08-19-2008, 17:11
Atkins to Damascus would be ok if you hadn't already done the best part of that section. What about Hot Springs to Erwin, Tn. [66 miles]? Is that too much? How about the first part of the AT, Amacalola Falls to Neels Gap in Georgia [39.3 miles]

barefoot
08-20-2008, 09:33
We did Marion south to Damascus this summer. Is there a good section in the Shenandoah area?

Tennessee Viking
08-20-2008, 13:00
What section Next?

I live in Charlotte, NC and lead a church youth group on the trail every summer. We usually do 60 +/- miles over 5-6 days. We have done Davenport Gap to Hot Springs, Roan Mountain area, and this pass summer Mt Rogers/Damascus. So where should I go next? Can't do the Smokey's because of group size (that's another thread). Can't go past Maryland North because I would lose a whole day of driving. I do most of my AT hiking in these area so I'm not familiar with other great sections. Obviously we love great views, waterfalls, etc. We don't want 5 days of "woods". Thanks for any tips.
Your next big waterfalls are from 19E to Hampton. Elk River (1mile off trail), Mountaineer Falls, Jones Falls, and Laurel Falls. There a number of side trails in Dennis Cove that lead you to other falls.

Look into doing like Camp Creek, Coldspring, Big Bald, and Beauty Spot for open views.

chelko
08-20-2008, 13:14
Standing Indian/Deep Gap to Nantahala Outdoor center About 55 miles or so. Nice hike, good scenery, lots of water. Ron Haven in Franklin can help with shuttles. I have take youth and scout groups on this hike in the past, it works well for a moderate sized group.

chelko
08-20-2008, 13:15
Allen Gap to Erwin Tn also a good hike for kids.

flemdawg1
08-20-2008, 14:51
Devils Fork Gap to Hot Springs in Oct, a quick 30-miler (2 nights), but it'll be my first on the AT.

flemdawg1
08-20-2008, 14:54
Doh! I thought you meant what section I was doing next.

Humph, another thread not about flemdawg.

EarlyBird2007
08-20-2008, 15:14
I would start doing Shenendoah National Park, starting north from Rockfish Gap (near Waynesboro, VA). FYI, I am leading a group of first time adult backpackers on a hike there next month. Here is planned itinerary for our 5 day hike. If you are leading a more experienced group you might want to be more ambitious.

Day 1 – get hiking permits, hike to Calf Mtn. Shelter (7 mi.), camp there.

Day 2 – hike to Blackrock Hut (13 mi.), camp there.

Day 3 – hike to Loft Mtn. Campground, resupply & eat there, hike to Pinefield Hut (13.2 mi.), camp there.

Day 4 – hike to Hightop Hut (8.2 mi.), camp there.

Day 5 – hike to Lewis Mtn. Campground (11.7 mi.)

Kerosene
08-23-2008, 11:52
Another idea: James Foot Bridge (Glasgow) south to Catawba, Virginia -- ~78 miles with great views off Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob. Dragon's Tooth is just south of the Catawba road crossing. If you end at Catawba you can fuel-up at The Home Place (http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/) a mile from the trail crossing.

modiyooch
08-23-2008, 12:03
Another idea: James Foot Bridge (Glasgow) south to Catawba, Virginia -- ~78 miles with great views off Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob. Dragon's Tooth is just south of the Catawba road crossing. If you end at Catawba you can fuel-up at The Home Place (http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/) a mile from the trail crossing.
This is my recommendation as well. I live in Hickory, NC and it is a three hour drive for me. I imagine the same for you. 77n to 81n. The small town of Catawba has those two jewels, McAfee Know and Dragon Tooth.