PDA

View Full Version : cold forecast for Mt Washington and Presidentials!

DavidNH
08-19-2008, 15:22
Check this out folks!

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php

I hope the AT thru hikers are prepared for this. I bet there will be some at least that didn't bring sufficiently warm clothes! It's only August 20. Where did summer go? Windchills well below Freezing!!!!

By the way.. I am going hiking anyway. Not up Mt Washington, but something above Tree line!!

David

twosticks
08-19-2008, 16:35
It would be great to be there today. In the DC metro area a balmy 92 degrees. Fortunately, the humidity isn't so high today.

warraghiyagey
08-19-2008, 22:33
Check this out folks!

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php

I hope the AT thru hikers are prepared for this. I bet there will be some at least that didn't bring sufficiently warm clothes! It's only August 20. Where did summer go? Windchills well below Freezing!!!!

By the way.. I am going hiking anyway. Not up Mt Washington, but something above Tree line!!

David

Madison!:D

Hikerhead
08-19-2008, 23:57
I'm glad to see this now instead of in two weeks when Cookerhiker and I are doing a 60 mile AT/Blue Blazing hike in the presi's. Let us pray....please give us blue sky, warm days, cool nights and no rain for one week starting on 8-31...Amen and thank you.
:)

Cookerhiker
08-20-2008, 18:15
I'm glad to see this now instead of in two weeks when Cookerhiker and I are doing a 60 mile AT/Blue Blazing hike in the presi's. Let us pray....please give us blue sky, warm days, cool nights and no rain for one week starting on 8-31...Amen and thank you.
:)

That goes for me too!

DavidNH
08-20-2008, 18:19
well I ended hiking to the top of Mt. Chocoroa today. 3500 feet high and all exposed rock. A full blown gale, temps probably in 50's. The view to the Presis showed mt washington completely socked in. most other peaks were in the clear.

DavidNH

NICKTHEGREEK
08-20-2008, 18:27
It would be great to be there today. In the DC metro area a balmy 92 degrees. Fortunately, the humidity isn't so high today.
50's tonight in the burbs

Blissful
08-20-2008, 19:59
When we were up there this time last year, Mt Washington had sleet. SO not uncommon at all. On Franconia Ridge, the wind alone made it zero degree wind chill. That's why you need winter gear by Glencliff heading NOBO, no matter the time of year. Forewarned is forearmed.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2008, 20:44
just have the proper gear and walk for crissakes. and a map to know where to bail. you AT hikers are so weenified :) it's just a mountain

Tin Man
08-20-2008, 21:38
just have the proper gear and walk for crissakes. and a map to know where to bail. you AT hikers are so weenified :) it's just a mountain

I will be there next week... and I am keeping my weenie in my pants, my sniveling to myself, and I will NOT, repeat NOT, moon the cog.

Can't wait to "ASSAULT" the presidentials ... even if it takes all week to go from Franconia to Pinkham. :D

Gray Blazer
08-20-2008, 21:43
D--n Global Warming!!

twosticks
08-22-2008, 13:27
50's tonight in the burbs

Hasn't this weather of late been absolutely awesome down here? 80's and 60's? I even had a fire in my firepit a few days ago. Maybe we'll get some snow this year?

Gorp-Gobbler
08-22-2008, 16:15
That's what a lot of those poor unfortunates said that died up there, It's just a mountain.

ZEKE #2
08-22-2008, 16:17
I hope a lot of the NOBO's are getting through there today. 70 degrees up on the mountain. Finally some good weather for the north bounders!

boarstone
08-22-2008, 17:03
The black common grackles are flocking up already....sign of an early winter?:(

Lone Wolf
08-22-2008, 22:55
That's what a lot of those poor unfortunates said that died up there, It's just a mountain.

much ado about zilch

kayak karl
08-22-2008, 23:31
much ado about zilch
i was in Eastern Mountain Sports in Christiana, Delaware. I was talking to a store "rep" and was told he got frostbite twice (two times) on his thru-hike. he said if you want to hike light, these things happen!:-? Where are some peoples minds at?
LW, Got to agree. if you got the gear, notta problem!
But LW, why refer to a romantic comedy by Shakespeare:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
08-22-2008, 23:35
i was in Eastern Mountain Sports in Christiana, Delaware. I was talking to a store "rep" and was told he got frostbite twice (two times) on his thru-hike. he said if you want to hike light, these things happen!:-? Where are some peoples minds at?
LW, Got to agree. if you got the gear, notta problem!
But LW, why refer to a romantic comedy by Shakespeare:rolleyes:

don't know nutin' about no shakespeer but i used to make snow at jay peak in the middle of the nite at -10. i know cold and know how to dress.

The Old Fhart
08-22-2008, 23:43
Lone Wolf-"...i know cold and know how to dress."
I don't think I've seen you in a dress.;)

Seriously I've been on top of Washington in winter more that most people here, perhaps combined, and I've never got frostbite but I been careful.

Undershaft
08-23-2008, 14:09
It was very nice Thursday and Friday up in the Whites. I camped a little over 4300 feet up in the Pemi and it was almost balmy. Washington is another story. It's always cool up there. The record high is only 72 degrees. Again, It's always cool up there, and frequently cold. The weather on Washington is no secret, but lots of hikers are unaware or refuse to acknowledge this fact.

Sarge
08-23-2008, 15:16
It was 34 degrees with a 19 degree wind chill temp, about 50' visibility, snow flurries and sleet, and ice on the rocks when I went across on July 2nd last year. Just like LW said, be prepared, dress properly and keep moving and you should have no problems. I actually had a couple of people come flying past me while wearing shorts and tee shirts in those conditions. I couldn't believe it. I thought I was seeing things.

Pokey2006
08-23-2008, 15:18
I find it hard to believe that a thru-hiker would get frostbite. Not impossible, but very, very hard to believe. It's not like climbing Everest. I think that guy was pulling some legs.

4eyedbuzzard
08-23-2008, 15:56
I'd think that frostbite is probably much more likely in the higher terrain of the southern appalachians for most NOBO's in March/April and in Dec/Jan for SOBO's than in the Whites. Darn few thru-hikers go thru the Whites outside of the summer months.