PDA

View Full Version : MSR hydroflow

Waterbuffalo
08-19-2008, 16:57
Anybody have one likes? dislikes? 7.6 oz and 1.5 liters a min flow

ZEKE #2
08-20-2008, 09:04
MSR Hyperflow? I used it the last part of my section hike. I got tired of pumping all day using my MSR Miniworks. What a difference! The technology is different, maintenance is different, the decrease in weight was welcomed. I had no problems.

Roots
08-20-2008, 11:09
I have to agree with my favorite hiking buddy, Zeke #2:). I bought the Hyperflow in May and LOVE it. It is much faster than other filters I have seen. It is not an issue with the backflushing and it is lighter than other filters. I highly recommend it.

take-a-knee
08-20-2008, 14:23
Well, many here have posted they've had beau-coup problems with the new MSR filter. I was in Wellsville Pa a few weeks ago and the manager of the local outfitter store had a hyperflow she'd had nothing but problems with. Maybe the initial problems have been corrected, I hope so since I'd like to buy one.

rafe
08-20-2008, 14:28
TAK, the only problems I've heard about have had to do with cold weather and freezing. What else have you heard? I've never even seen one of these, so I have no idea. A few have reported at least decent performance from them, as I recall.

Valentine
08-20-2008, 14:48
I had the Hyperflow. I loved it UNTIL....the third day into my hike It started to become extremely difficult to pump and It wouldn't backflow either.
I took it home and tried to backflow it in a controlled environement with the instructions right in front of me and it still wouldn't backflow. I find it hard to believe that it would clog 100% after 10-12 liters and then not backflow. I returned it.

take-a-knee
08-20-2008, 14:58
TAK, the only problems I've heard about have had to do with cold weather and freezing. What else have you heard? I've never even seen one of these, so I have no idea. A few have reported at least decent performance from them, as I recall.

Several here have posted that they had difficulty backflushing, there are two valves that have to be reversed to do so and possibly these were faulty, I've not heard that though. Also that hollow fiber technology in the filter is prone to clogging so if you can't backflush it, you have a useless filter pretty quick. The girl in Wellsville PA loved hers, right up until it quit, I'm guessing hers had the bad valves. She'd always liked and sold MSR products and used a Miniworks on an AT thru. That filter is nice and compact, the freezing isn't an issue as I see it, just put it in a ziploc and stick it in your bag. The hyperflow is so small that wouldn't be a problem.

ZEKE #2
08-20-2008, 16:11
Perhaps my method of filtering water has something to do with it. I learned from Powder River to gather my water in a designated water bag from the source, let it stand for a bit,and then filter it back at the tent site into my clean water container. This prevented the filter from having to deal with all the gunk in the water and I didn't create a line at the water source.

I've had a filter need cleaning after one filtering when the water source had many particles in it.

rafe
08-20-2008, 16:19
I know from experience that it's possible to gunk up a Katadyn (Hiker/Hiker Pro) filter in one session from seriously dirty water. At this point I'm biased against any non-cleanable filter element for this reason. The old MSRs (with ceramic filter elements) could at least be scrubbed down and renewed in the field.

Chicken Feathers
08-24-2008, 21:35
I guess there are con and pro to everything but I purchased a HyperFlow for my trip to Yosemite for ten days in the backcountry. Well my filter worked great for the first few liters and then it got hard to pump and so I tried back flushing but that did not seem to help by the thirdth day it was almost impossible to pump water and it took about 15 minutes to get a liter of water if not longer and by the time yougot that liter I felt like I had just completeda 20 mile hike and I had 7 more days in the back country so I thought it best to purchase another filter at Tuolumne Meadows. So REI will be getting this filter back. MSR need to do more work on this filter. I have read several post on other sites that had the same problem So I would not buy one anytime soon until MSR does more work on the filter. Just my two cents worth. :-?

Chicken Feathers
08-24-2008, 21:49
Several here have posted that they had difficulty backflushing, there are two valves that have to be reversed to do so and possibly these were faulty, I've not heard that though. Also that hollow fiber technology in the filter is prone to clogging so if you can't backflush it, you have a useless filter pretty quick. The girl in Wellsville PA loved hers, right up until it quit, I'm guessing hers had the bad valves. She'd always liked and sold MSR products and used a Miniworks on an AT thru. That filter is nice and compact, the freezing isn't an issue as I see it, just put it in a ziploc and stick it in your bag. The hyperflow is so small that wouldn't be a problem. Take-a-knee read my post about the HyeClog I mean HyperFlow MSR needs to do more research on the filter before it was released oh I forgot they had $ sign in their eyes and more testing would interfer with that.
Anyway read my post. I don't care how compact it is if it does not work no filter at all is more compact.

Chicken Feathers
08-24-2008, 21:52
I had the Hyperflow. I loved it UNTIL....the third day into my hike It started to become extremely difficult to pump and It wouldn't backflow either.
I took it home and tried to backflow it in a controlled environement with the instructions right in front of me and it still wouldn't backflow. I find it hard to believe that it would clog 100% after 10-12 liters and then not backflow. I returned it. Valentine please call MSR and let them know about the problem and how dissatified you are with the product

Chicken Feathers
08-24-2008, 21:56
TAK, the only problems I've heard about have had to do with cold weather and freezing. What else have you heard? I've never even seen one of these, so I have no idea. A few have reported at least decent performance from them, as I recall.Terrapin I am not TAK but read my post about the filter. unless you can afford $100 for 2 liters of filtered water it is not a good buy

Chicken Feathers
08-24-2008, 21:59
Well, many here have posted they've had beau-coup problems with the new MSR filter. I was in Wellsville Pa a few weeks ago and the manager of the local outfitter store had a hyperflow she'd had nothing but problems with. Maybe the initial problems have been corrected, I hope so since I'd like to buy one.T_A_K call MSR and tell them of the problems you have read on Whiteblaze. This is rediclious that they sell a filter that does not work for long

Valentine
08-25-2008, 10:38
Don,
I have contacted MSR via emai. No response. That was unusual because my first email was responded to promptly. I am going pumpless and will be using Aqua Mira.

Hooch
08-25-2008, 10:47
......I am going pumpless and will be using Aqua Mira.I went pumpless and went with a ULA Amigo Pro (http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm) gravity filter. Excellent quality stuff! Still trying to figure out how to turn my old Katadyn filter into a lamp or vase. :banana

NICKTHEGREEK
08-25-2008, 11:01
T_A_K call MSR and tell them of the problems you have read on Whiteblaze. This is rediclious that they sell a filter that does not work for long

Anyone who buys MSR stuff in the first year it's on the retail market is asking for troubles. Good stuff after a year or 2 of additional Test, Evaluate and Fix.

Valentine
08-25-2008, 14:34
Anyone who buys MSR stuff in the first year it's on the retail market is asking for troubles. Good stuff after a year or 2 of additional Test, Evaluate and Fix.

is this from a particular experience. I would love if they figured out how to get the kinks out of the hyperflow.

Chicken Feathers
08-26-2008, 10:50
Don,
I have contacted MSR via emai. No response. That was unusual because my first email was responded to promptly. I am going pumpless and will be using Aqua Mira. Valentine they do not won't to hear any negative response so no suprise that you have not heard from them. I also sent them an email no reply. but it says on their site they take all email seriously and respond prombly. I guess negative replys do not need a response they only want to read and reply to positive email. So be sure to pass the word around that the HyperClog is a piece of trash for the next couple of years anyway.

Berserker
08-26-2008, 13:24
I have also posted about some of the issues I have had with my HF. First it was problems with the back flushing. Now I have gotten the back flush to work properly and I am having issues with the pumping force required, which is mentioned by others here. I also posted about this over at backpacking.net and got a few replies of others who are having issues with the "hard pumping" so to speak. In a nutshell, even if I back flush as recommended (every 8 liters), the thing is still extremely hard to pump...and that's pumping clear stream water.

So yeah, I agree that filter appears to be flawed in some way. It's a bummer, and I may try to contact MSR as others have suggested to let them know of my issues. Looks like I'll probably be going back to my Katadyn Hiker or my Sweetwater (yeah I know...another MSR filter...this one actually works right though...and mine is a pre-MSR version).