PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Mountain Sports Opening in Foxboro, MA

mnof1000v
08-19-2008, 19:34
The Grand Opening celebration for the new Eastern Mountain Sports in Foxboro, MA will be October 3rd, 4th, and 5th. The three day event will include free food, raffles, bands, a climbing wall, a live radio broadcast, and lots of discounts.:banana

To that end, the store currently has the following job openings:

Bike Tech
Snow Sport Tech
Foot Guru
Guides

If you know anyone who might be interested in a position, send me a private message.

Blissful
08-19-2008, 19:38
Well, hope they get some good people in there that know what they are doing. After the way my son was treated at a EMS in North Conway, NH by the manager and the interaction we had with a store in NY and another in Rutland, VT (the people there had no idea what they were talking about with regards to equipment and footwear), I'm not very happy with them. Maybe some hikers with knowledge will help. So please apply!

daibutsu
08-19-2008, 19:49
Now that the mom and pop operations are no more, anything is better than REI !!!!!!

Blissful
08-19-2008, 19:54
Now that the mom and pop operations are no more, anything is better than REI !!!!!!

Not so in VA anyway - Rockfish Gap Outfitters near Waynesboro is excellent and worth the trip. Need more places like them along the trail. But after Harper's Ferry heading north, the outfitters tend to fade out fast.

rafe
08-19-2008, 19:56
EMS used to be the cat's meow. I remember their original store on Commonwealth Ave. in downtown Boston. But like lots of other retail ventures, as they've grown they've "gone generic" and lost their edge. An EMS store near my home closed this spring (other stores in the same strip mall are also closed or struggling...) I actually tried and failed, on several occasions last year, to buy something useful there. It was sad, actually.

chknfngrs
08-19-2008, 21:30
Arlington VA has Casual Outfitter!

gotta give a shout-out.

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2008, 05:15
Jeez, what a bunch of naysayers. The two EMS stores I've dealt with over the years (West Lebanon, NH and Manchester Center VT) have been well stocked, well staffed, and well-managed, and if a thru-hiker has ever had a serious problem with either shop, I never heard about it. I wish the Foxboro shop well. Funny thing, tho......some folks complain when a local store closes its doors......others will complain when they open them. Go figure.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-20-2008, 05:56
Arlington VA has Casual Outfitter!

gotta give a shout-out.
You mean Casual Adventure? www.casualadventure.com/ The last of 3 independents left around DC that I'm aware of. Nice store

Lyle
08-20-2008, 09:13
I've always been happy with my dealings with EMS. Up until a few years ago, they had a store in the Detroit area, but then chose to close all their Michigan stores. I was disappointed.

I started out my backpacking back in the '70's using some EMS brand gear and was very satisfied. I now use an EMS Velocity 35 sleeping bag for summer and am very satisfied with it. Best synthetic bag I've ever owned. I was steered toward it by the salesperson at the EMS store. He also admitted to me that he buys his tents/packs from cottage industry players.

I thought that was being quite honest. I'm sure his attitude was altered by the type questions being asked and the perceived level of customer knowledge when talking with his customers. Selling EMS gear is his job after all. But to say he wasn't knowledgeable would be a stretch.

Big name retailers are selling mostly to the general public, for occasional use. To folks who don't necessarily know how to care for their gear but expect the store to offer 100% warranties. They have to go with the bomb-proof (heavier) products.

I wish EMS were still here. REI is good in the same way as EMS, but for some intangible reason I always preferred EMS.

mnof1000v
08-20-2008, 10:08
I feel obligated to reply to some of the negativity because I work for EMS and I started this post. Eastern Mountain Sports reaches out to the local community at each retail location - including at the corporate offices. We offer free clinics on snow sports, kayaks, climbing, stove use, and many other pieces of gear. We give discounts to college students year round. We are growing, and our stores are changing a bit, but just because we're not "independent" doesn't mean we don't care. Each store tries to cater to it's customer base, and each store tries to involve as many local organizations as possible.

Anyways, you're all entitled to your opinions. I posted this notice for two reasons: to spread the word about an exciting opening to potential shoppers, and to seek out possible employees from a pool of outdoor enthusiasts. I guess some negative responses can be expected, but my information is still valid. The store will have it's Grand Opening October 3rd, 4th, and 5th. And we are still hiring the positions I listed, both Part-time and Full-time.

And whatever your opinion, I invite you to the opening. :sun

Blissful
08-20-2008, 10:09
Jeez, what a bunch of naysayers. The two EMS stores I've dealt with over the years (West Lebanon, NH and Manchester Center VT) have been well stocked, well staffed, and well-managed, and if a thru-hiker has ever had a serious problem with either shop, I never heard about it. I wish the Foxboro shop well. Funny thing, tho......some folks complain when a local store closes its doors......others will complain when they open them. Go figure.

Jack, I really have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge of the trail - but you were NOT in our shoes last year when I had a manager in Conway, NH call my sixteen year old a liar when he tried to return his shoes after they fell apart in one week on the trail last year (and at the inital EMS store in NY where we bought him the boots, they tried to first sell his grandfather - who was buying him the boots as a gift - a pair of $200plus boots saying he had to have only those kind of boots to backpack. I had to help educate them and help his grandfather not make an exorbitant purchase). That is not to say EMS was responsible for defective merchandise (North FAce was). But it was responsible for the way they treated my son. I also had a guy at the Rutland EMS have no idea what I was talking about when I asked about Big Agnes pad and he had to get the store manager.

SO the naysayers may have a legitmate reason and a wish that EMS hires knowledgeable and competent staff. That's not to say all stores are like that, obviously, but the bigger stores like EMS etc don't seem to hire the personnel that know hiking compared to the smaller places. And I can say that after visiting 3 stores in three different states.

But I do hope the new store does well, esp seeing some thru hikers and others as part of the business. They can only benefit.

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2008, 10:33
Blissful:

I'm sorry you evidently had a rough time....were I you, I'd have got the guy's name and sent HIS supervisor a letter. And I also agree with you that smaller, independently owned stores tend to have more knowledgeable staff (the owner or manager is usually the product buyer so these folks are the go-to folks if you have specific gear questions). Employees also tend to stick around longer at smaller stores, so there's a greater chance they have hand-on experience with the stuff they're selling. But in any case, there's never an excuse for rude service, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this particular store.

Old Grouse
08-20-2008, 10:44
In my experience the independents are also more willing to special order something they don't carry if you ask politely. And to offer to do so even before you ask.

rafe
08-20-2008, 10:58
I don't have a bone to pick with any particular outfitter. I've been doing business with REI, EMS and Campmor since the late 1980s (and earlier in some cases) and no serious complaints with any of them -- other than the fact that their selection, over the years, has tended more to generic yuppie clothing and such.

Both stores have great return policies and a good selection of "generic" outdoor gear. Both have nice sales from time to time, and reasonably helpful and friendly sales associates, for the most part. Ya gotta figure, their typical customer is, at best, the weekend warrior, and not a hard-core thru-hiker. If it were the latter, they'd all go bust. It's just not that big a market.

What we don't have, unfortunately, in our neck of the woods, is a small, non-chain outfitter. That would be nice. As it stands, for "serious" gear, or anything remotely non-generic (like, say, a Tarptent) it's down to purchasing online.

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2008, 12:33
Actually, REI sells some lightweight tarps, tarp tents, alternative shelters. I know they carry MSR lightweight shelters; Integral Designs tarps, Go-Lite lightweight shelters, etc. As for some other lightweight items, including several tarptents that shall remain nameless.......well, in my experience, the reason a lot of outfitters don't carry them is twofold: In some cases, the product simply isn't that good; and in some cases, the big chains demand steep discounts that smaller gear manufacturers can't afford to give them, or they expect the manufacturer to take back unsold items at their own expense, etc. Oh, and some smaller companies that make "serious" or "non-generic" gear PREFER to deal directly with their customers and not deal with stores, i.e. if some of these companies do all their business thru catolog or on-line sales, it's because they CHOOSE to.

Mags
08-20-2008, 12:50
other than the fact that their selection, over the years, has tended more to generic yuppie clothing and such.

Most in demand items, largest profit margin as well.

Stores only sell what people want. And people want a certain look (for better or worse).

Having said that, all stores do sell so-called "hard core outdoor person" items. A person just has to look a bit more than in previous years.

All things change.

(I say so-called "hard core outdoor person" because that is such a loose term...)

Peaks
08-20-2008, 15:47
Another thing to note: I think that EMS has changed ownership a couple of times over the past several years. With that comes some changes. For a while I think they were becoming more fashion than function, but don't necessarily think that anymore.

Sure, I shop there. Their 20% off storewide "Upgrade your gear" sale in April and October is hard to beat. But, I also shop other places as well, including the local independent outfitter. It all depends on what I am looking for.

Had a run-in with an employee? Like most things in life, it's people to people, and I wouldn't condem the entire company on the actions of one individual, any more than I would characterize all thru-hikers as lazy bums.

mudcap
08-20-2008, 20:22
Another thing to note: I think that EMS has changed ownership a couple of times over the past several years. With that comes some changes. For a while I think they were becoming more fashion than function, but don't necessarily think that anymore.

Sure, I shop there. Their 20% off storewide "Upgrade your gear" sale in April and October is hard to beat. But, I also shop other places as well, including the local independent outfitter. It all depends on what I am looking for.

Had a run-in with an employee? Like most things in life, it's people to people, and I wouldn't condem the entire company on the actions of one individual, any more than I would characterize all thru-hikers as lazy bums.

Well said,one employee does not sour the whole company...good thing.

I was in Lake Placid,a customer was renting a bear canister. He asked about buying bear spray. The employee says...you don't need bear spray. The bears won't bother you in the ADKs. :rolleyes: Must have been his first day.:confused:

I have been an EMS customer for about 30 years,have noticed the changes...but I will keep buying from them.

mnof1000v
08-20-2008, 22:09
Wow. This is a direction I hadn't anticipated.

I still welcome you all at the opening. ;)

OregonHiker
08-21-2008, 01:35
Wow. This is a direction I hadn't anticipated.

This is WB :sun

mnof1000v
08-21-2008, 15:15
I know.

MOWGLI
08-21-2008, 15:37
I was in Lake Placid,a customer was renting a bear canister. He asked about buying bear spray. The employee says...you don't need bear spray. The bears won't bother you in the ADKs. :rolleyes: Must have been his first day.:confused:

When was the last time someone was attacked by a bear in the Adirondacks? Just curious.

I happen to agree with the employee in this instance.

Homer&Marje
08-21-2008, 15:44
They have no chance against Bass Pro Shop right next door basically. Bass Pro Shop will put that store out of business in a year. EMS might sell more in the way of sleeping bags and backpacks, but BPS prices will kill them. Off topic but $4.98 for 15lb bag of Kingsford! Grilling makes me happy

rafe
08-21-2008, 16:42
When was the last time someone was attacked by a bear in the Adirondacks? Just curious.

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that bear canisters are required in the DAKs these days. Odd, I was in that same EMS store (Lake Placid) last week, a day or two prior to the Rutland Music festival. Bought a map and a pair of cheap sunglasses. Nice store.

MOWGLI
08-21-2008, 17:09
I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that bear canisters are required in the DAKs these days.

Bear canisters and bear spray are two very different things. I am aware of a bear attack in the Catskills a few years back, but nothing in the Adirondacks. My daughter is the 4th generation in my family to recreate in the region, so although I currently live in TN, I am very familiar with the ADK area.

Mags
08-21-2008, 17:38
Bear spray is overkill for black bear areas IMO.

Black Bears, tend to not be as aggressive as their Griz cousins.

Gotta agree with the EMS employee as well.

mudcap
08-21-2008, 18:18
My point was that if you are required to carry a bear canister,why not have some bear spray? I think the employee has an obligation to offer spray if he is taking your cash for a mandatory expense for the ADKs. I mean this guy was actually just blowing off the customers request while accepting the money for a bear resistant tube,how tough would it have been to just sell him some spray?

This is not a bash at EMS,just one employee.

IceAge
08-21-2008, 19:03
Hard to say, the customer might have left there relieved that they had a little extra money in their pocket. Or maybe they went hiking without the spray and got eaten.

The point is, let's talk about the "free food", what kind of food are we talking here? :D

rafe
08-21-2008, 19:08
My point was that if you are required to carry a bear canister,why not have some bear spray?

I don't follow the logic of that at all. And having been in a similar situation recently (ie., renting a canister) I know of at least one other sales clerk (in Mammoth Lakes, CA) equally "guilty," per your notion. Bears are mainly after an easy meal -- they're not that into attacking humans, as far as I know.

Patrickjd9
08-21-2008, 19:16
Isn't that new store pretty near one I remember at Emerald Square mall in Attleboro? Still have a family camping tent from there.

Also wore a brown Gore-Tex/down winter coat from the former Gaithersburg, MD EMS for about a decade. I paid $80 for it after a mild winter. It's still in very good shape, but 'pleased to announce that I shrunk out of it late last winter.

If my brother doesn't want it, watch the items for sale list here on Whiteblaze (size XXL). I promise not to sell for more than I paid for it

mudcap
08-21-2008, 19:42
I don't follow the logic of that at all. And having been in a similar situation recently (ie., renting a canister) I know of at least one other sales clerk (in Mammoth Lakes, CA) equally "guilty," per your notion. Bears are mainly after an easy meal -- they're not that into attacking humans, as far as I know. Another bear expert:-?

slow
08-21-2008, 19:59
Still waiting to hear about the 400lb on the AT.

MOWGLI
08-21-2008, 21:34
My point was that if you are required to carry a bear canister,why not have some bear spray? I think the employee has an obligation to offer spray if he is taking your cash for a mandatory expense for the ADKs. I mean this guy was actually just blowing off the customers request while accepting the money for a bear resistant tube,how tough would it have been to just sell him some spray?

This is not a bash at EMS,just one employee.

Because it's not needed. Bear canisters are required in the Sierra, but bear spray is totally unnecessary. The same situation applies for the ADK region. Griz country is a different story.

Like I said before, if you can make a case for why bear spray is needed, I'm all ears. But I don't think there have been any bear attacks or incidents in the ADK region that bear that out (no pun intended). Maybe I'm mistaken. If I am, please enlighten me.

Roland
08-22-2008, 04:59
Isn't that new store pretty near one I remember at Emerald Square mall in Attleboro? ~

Just like Starbucks, the EMS in the Emerald Square mall closed.

Peaks
08-22-2008, 08:11

Bears in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks just want your food. They have gotten pretty good at getting food bags off bear lines and such. Hence, the requirement to use canisters. (If ADK provided bear boxes, that would solve the problem also.)

I haven't heard of any bear attacks. So, I bear spray seems unnecessary. But, I'm sure there are people that carry it and also carry bear bells.

mnof1000v
08-22-2008, 15:00
They have no chance against Bass Pro Shop right next door basically. Bass Pro Shop will put that store out of business in a year. EMS might sell more in the way of sleeping bags and backpacks, but BPS prices will kill them. Off topic but $4.98 for 15lb bag of Kingsford! Grilling makes me happy

I've nothing negative to say about Bass Pro, but for the most part we service different customers. There is some overlap, but we're not direct competition. That's like saying Home Depot will put Walmart out of business because they both carry some hardware. :sun

Mags
08-22-2008, 15:14
Another bear expert:-?

I'm not an expert on bears, but a bear canister does not mean you need bear spray.

Black Bears are not as aggressive as grizzes. Bear spray is over kill in black bear country IMO.

I've hiked a fair amount in black bear and grizzly country, so I feel comfortable making this statement.

Homer&Marje
08-23-2008, 11:13
I've nothing negative to say about Bass Pro, but for the most part we service different customers. There is some overlap, but we're not direct competition. That's like saying Home Depot will put Walmart out of business because they both carry some hardware. :sun

Specifically how are you servicing different customers, elaborate. Clothing, hiking equipment, rock climbing, fishing?, shoes, boots, rain gear, cold weather gear, socks, kayaking... etc... Those are all the things I could think of EMS providing, then I think BPS has all that stuff plus a few hundred other things, only difference is the lower prices and I don't think they carry EMS brands.

Undershaft
08-23-2008, 13:08
I feel obligated to reply to some of the negativity because I work for EMS and I started this post. Eastern Mountain Sports reaches out to the local community at each retail location - including at the corporate offices. We offer free clinics on snow sports, kayaks, climbing, stove use, and many other pieces of gear. We give discounts to college students year round. We are growing, and our stores are changing a bit, but just because we're not "independent" doesn't mean we don't care. Each store tries to cater to it's customer base, and each store tries to involve as many local organizations as possible.

Anyways, you're all entitled to your opinions. I posted this notice for two reasons: to spread the word about an exciting opening to potential shoppers, and to seek out possible employees from a pool of outdoor enthusiasts. I guess some negative responses can be expected, but my information is still valid. The store will have it's Grand Opening October 3rd, 4th, and 5th. And we are still hiring the positions I listed, both Part-time and Full-time.

And whatever your opinion, I invite you to the opening. :sun

I assume you work at the Plymouth store? I think it's a good store considering it's small size. I don't think they have a very diverse selection of gear, but the employees are friendly and try to be helpful. I've bought a couple pieces of gear there and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. In fact, I may be in real soon to look at new boots. My only real complaint is that they keep rearranging the store. What's up with that? I'm only there every few months or so, but everytime the store is completely different and it takes me ten minutes to find what I'm looking for.

HUGOPUSS
08-23-2008, 13:51
There is an excellent EMS in Middletown RI. Two thru-hikers run the hiking department--very knowledgeable.

IceAge
08-23-2008, 15:15
Congratulations on your new store, EMS. May you have the happiest customers in the world!

This thread has run its course. If you would like to have any of the numerous tangents from this thread split into a new one, PM me and I'll get er done.