PDA

View Full Version : Much Ado About Chafing: ()()

Homer&Marje
08-19-2008, 22:03
I am a big guy, about 230 lbs, so I sweat a lot, huff and puff a bit and get some serious chafing sometimes. I work in a restaurant so am used to moving around quite a bit, have had the problem many times at work and found that being liberal with baby powder before the shift is crucial, especially on hot, humid days. It's quite inconvenient really to put baby powder on while on the trail, I can start out with it, but is the solution I am looking for Vaseline and not powder, rather the reverse effect?? Any miracle cures? Any opinions will help.

Less Chafing = Happier Trails

Nicksaari
08-19-2008, 22:04
gold bond, the yellow or green bottle. they make travels sized. FEEL THE ICE!!!!!!

Sleepy the Arab
08-19-2008, 22:11
I only get chaffing problems in the most humid and hot conditions, but when I do I've found zinc oxide to be a godsend.

rafe
08-19-2008, 22:17
You aren't wearing cotton undies, I hope. Try a pair of body-conforming boxer shorts... non-cotton. I use Gold Bond or Glide when the going gets rough -- but very rarely need either, these days.

Footslogger
08-19-2008, 22:41
I am a big guy, about 230 lbs, so I sweat a lot, huff and puff a bit and get some serious chafing sometimes. I work in a restaurant so am used to moving around quite a bit, have had the problem many times at work and found that being liberal with baby powder before the shift is crucial, especially on hot, humid days. It's quite inconvenient really to put baby powder on while on the trail, I can start out with it, but is the solution I am looking for Vaseline and not powder, rather the reverse effect?? Any miracle cures? Any opinions will help.

=======================================

I think you'll find that vaseline is NOT the way to go. It actually causes the skin to thicken and can cause friction and more iritation ...plus, it doesn't allow air to get at your skin.

The best solution to chafe is keeping the area clean and dry. Carry wet wipes (non alcohol and unscented) and clean the dirt and dried perspiration (salt) off the skin and allow it to dry. Powder sometimes helps but it can be messy.

'Slogger

Bulldawg
08-19-2008, 22:42
I use the Under Armour tight fitting long boxers. They are warming and prevent chaffing for me. They are expensive ($20 a paair) but well worth it. Plus they are sythetic, so you can wear them for days.

Jim Adams
08-19-2008, 22:46
I use the Under Armour tight fitting long boxers. They are warming and prevent chaffing for me. They are expensive ($20 a paair) but well worth it. Plus they are sythetic, so you can wear them for days.

These work great for me also if I'm wearing shorts or pants.
Washing the sweat and salt off as often as I can also helps.
Best cure that I've found so far is a kilt...absolutely NO chaffing...ever!

geek

Summit
08-19-2008, 22:57
http://www.rei.com/product/745879

and

http://www.rei.com/product/732624

and your problem is history!

Believe me, I tried many other solutions before finding the answer! ;)

What's cool about BodyGlide is it applies like a deodorant stick, and is not greasy or messy.

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2008, 00:16
We have seen this before - and gold bond can irritate even more if you are not careful

Chafed skin (http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-relieve-skin-chafing.htm#), which can be caused by many factors, is extremely uncomfortable. It often appears as a raised red rash or even blisters, which hurt as though the skin has been burned. It can occur in just about anyone, and anyone who has it is immediately interested in finding ways to relieve it.
First off, it is best to try to prevent skin chafing rather than to develop it. You may want to start by wearing clothing that is well fitting, but not too tight, and is made of natural fibers so that the skin can breathe. Sometimes, people recommend loose clothing to avoid skin chafing, but this can actually make matters worse. Skin can chafe against looser clothes, especially at seams, and create the problem.
You’ll also want to make sure that areas prone to skin chafing, like between the upper thighs, are protected from each other. Choose pants instead of short shorts or a skirt so the legs are not rubbing up against one another, and use a protective ointment like petroleum jelly (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-petroleum-jelly.htm) or a lotion with Micatin, an antifungal agent used to prevent chafing of the skin in areas where it has been a problem.
If you already have chafed skin, focus should be on protecting and treating the skin as soon as possible. You can treat skin chafing with either of the lotions mentioned above, or you can use cornstarch (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cornstarch.htm) powder. Lotions tend to be preferable to powder since they help provide a protective barrier which guards against further chafing.

As a last stop gap measure - Zinc Ointment.

Summit
08-20-2008, 06:53
Sorry WOO but I have to disagree with your treatment suggestion of petroleum jelly. I tried it and it made matters worse. Besides, why would anyone want to apply a gooey, sticky mess when BodyGlide is so opposite that, easy to apply, and works wonders? Anyone using petroleum jelly has most likely never tried BodyGlide, and anyone who has tried BodyGlide would never use petroleum jelly. The difference in application and effectiveness in treatment and healing is striking. ;)

rpenczek
08-20-2008, 08:05
Have to agree here on the body glide and UA boxer Jock, nothing better IMHO. Even the feamales I hike with use UA boxer Jocks.

Finally, each evening get clean and dry with a wet wipe and air.

good luck

Homer&Marje
08-20-2008, 08:12
Such a vast wealth of knowledge on this site, really. I have never heard of that BodyGlide product and it seems very intriguing. I have used baby powder for most of my problems and it works just fine "Most" of the time.

It always happens towards the latter half of my day, obviously, when I am sweatier and more apt to let my legs ride together. If I give myself a good 6-8 hours before I am on the trail again it usually has gone away but those few hours in camp... aren't the most pleasant sometimes

I would love a few pair of under armours, B-Day is in November folks, Hint:D but find spending $25 on underwear just, well it hurts worse than chafing I think. (Dont think I want to buy used on Ebay) hahaha

But in interest of all things considered here I really am going to look into the BodyGLide and gonna probably get myself a hiking kilt as it seems the best for "ventilation" reasons.

rafe
08-20-2008, 08:19
You don't need the Body Armour brand specifically. Any tight-fitting boxer short will do. Just make sure it's not cotton. Look around in Sears, Bobs Stores, Jacque Penniez...

mister krabs
08-20-2008, 08:22
Like yourself, I used to be in the kitchen and am a little heavy. I also have humongous thighs from years of playing goal in hockey. I can't wear regular boxers at all without ripping the seams on the thighs or stretch boxers without making sausages of my thighs. I use body glide in combination with Jockey Go series stretch trunks that I bought at walmart for 6$ Trunks fit me best because they don't make my thighs into sausages like boxers. The "go" stretch series are wicking microfiber like the Under Armor brand, but much cheaper. I find that they're not so "compressing" as underarmor, but still a good stretch fit.

mrc237
08-20-2008, 09:04
Surprising! Most kitchen workers, bartenders, waitstaff folks I know use plain ole cornstarch cheap and effective. Just try it once you'll be sold. Also Haband has boxer briefs in this style: HealthRite® Insta-Dry™ Mid-Length Briefs

mrc237
08-20-2008, 09:09
link; http://www.haband.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/categoryID/f582751c-fad4-4e62-9e53-f3b22e7b8e30/productID/307091a7-9be1-491b-9c27-56e54353dca5/

Memphis
08-20-2008, 09:38
I use the WalMart brand of the UA long boxerswhich are much cheaper.

dessertrat
08-20-2008, 09:51
Definitely use some sort of spandex underwear, it will eliminate leg chafing completely. If it is very hot, you may get some monkey butt as a side effect, but you can use some vaseline/body glide or similar for that.

Blissful
08-20-2008, 09:54
It's tough to find the size. My hubby takes a xxl. Sierra Trading Post used to carry boxers like that, but it's getting harder to find. Target has them but not in the right size. He needs some for every day now, so Under Armor is a bit expensive for that. Will keep looking. Maybe Sears.

Cabin Fever
08-20-2008, 10:00
I have UA boxer jocks and they work very well except for the monkey butt issue. However, I bought some medalist spandex underwear at Trail Days and they are AWESOME! They are a looser fitting spandex and have a much softer materials. These combine the comfort of cotton boxer briefs with the breathability and cleanliness of UA boxer jocks.

FritztheCat
08-20-2008, 10:09
You don't need the Body Armour brand specifically. Any tight-fitting boxer short will do. Just make sure it's not cotton. Look around in Sears, Bobs Stores, Jacque Penniez...

Totally agree. I had a chaffing problem as well and upon recommendation by many from this site, I spent the $20 bucks for Under Armour Compression Shorts. Fixed the problem!

A few days later, I found a pair of Basic Concepts shorts on a clearance rack that felt just like the Under Armour brand. They were $4 so I picked up a pair to give them a shot. Same effect! No chaffing!

$20 bucks is admittedly pretty steep but I think well worth it. Chaffing is horrible to deal with.

mister krabs
08-20-2008, 10:12
Surprising! Most kitchen workers, bartenders, waitstaff folks I know use plain ole cornstarch cheap and effective. Just try it once you'll be sold. Also Haband has boxer briefs in this style: HealthRite® Insta-Dry™ Mid-Length Briefs

Cornstarch is great! However, when you're really sweating for an extended period of time, it gets less effective and after multiple applications you end up with an unmentionable colloidal emulsion in your nether regions. :eek:

I learned the hard way, 109* on the line in the kitchen, 3 turnovers of the dining room.

Man, I don't miss that at all. :banana

mister krabs
08-20-2008, 10:49
Forgot to mention that I do not like the underarmor type compression shorts (like bike shorts without the pads) that work for many people, though I've only tried them in the summer (which is when I need them most.) Way too hot and sweaty and way too much tendency to induce the monkey butt. I'm not sure which is worse, munkey butt or chafing. I don't like either, and the wicking jockeys that I mentioned earlier help prevent both. They're made with coolmax, the super wicking stuff and relieve the hot and musties. Great in underwear, shirts and socks and even bandannas and hats.

mrc237
08-20-2008, 10:55
colloidal emulsion = fumunda cheese? :D

mrc237
08-20-2008, 10:58
It's tough to find the size. My hubby takes a xxl. Sierra Trading Post used to carry boxers like that, but it's getting harder to find. Target has them but not in the right size. He needs some for every day now, so Under Armor is a bit expensive for that. Will keep looking. Maybe Sears.

Try Haband.com - comes in all sizes and cheap

tentman
08-20-2008, 11:08
A&D ointment, carried in a small contianer works all day and immediately. Hey it works for babies.

rmw

jesse
08-20-2008, 11:16

Champion found at Target. I try to find them on sale. I have paid about $4/pair.

superman
08-20-2008, 11:38
On a previous thread about chafing someone said to try Monostat, Chafing Relief Powder/Gel. You'll find it with the women stuff in the pharmacy section at Walmart. In the summer months when the sweat is poring freely I had tried everything with limited results. This stuff is amazing.
My question is am I the only one. When I was hiking the AT in 2000 every time I believed I was alone I'd drop my shorts to do a proper powdering only to find that the trail hooked around, to my surprise.;)

mister krabs
08-20-2008, 11:53
Course, if we're talking salves, my baby likes
http://tdmiller.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/butt-paste.jpg

mister krabs
08-20-2008, 12:02
colloidal emulsion = fumunda cheese? :D

Fromunda something that's for sure.

Slightly thicker than a colloidal suspension, it's a non-newtonian fluid. :banana
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid)

rafe
08-20-2008, 12:03
My question is am I the only one. When I was hiking the AT in 2000 every time I believed I was alone I'd drop my shorts to do a proper powdering only to find that the trail hooked around, to my surprise.;)

Nope. Works every time. If you want company on the trail, drop your pants. Strange how that happens.

Blue Jay
08-20-2008, 12:24
If you want company on the trail, drop your pants.

That's another reason to wear a skirt, you never have to drop your pants. No chafing or pants dropping. Since the original poster is over 200 pounds, he dosen't even have to call it a kilt.:banana

Hammock Hanger
08-20-2008, 12:45
Course, if we're talking salves, my baby likes
http://tdmiller.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/butt-paste.jpg

Target carries this in small disposable packets for a buck a piece.

I find a large May Apple leaf stuck where the sun don't shine works for a number of miles before it needs to be replaced.

Summit
08-20-2008, 15:08
Hmmm, stick leaves up my rear or use BodyGlide? Tough choice . . . uh, I think I just decided! :eek: :p :D

mister krabs
08-20-2008, 15:16
Hmmm, stick leaves up my rear or use BodyGlide? Tough choice . . . uh, I think I just decided! :eek: :p :D

Ya, but definitely something to take note of for emergency situations. I looked up may apple and it's touted on herbalist sites. It's also very distinctive appearing.

cavscout
08-20-2008, 17:08
Best option is a kilt and add body glide for extra protection.

Alternate is to wear the compression shorts but that seem in the crotch sure gets bad after a while :(

NICKTHEGREEK
08-20-2008, 17:23
Definitely use some sort of spandex underwear, it will eliminate leg chafing completely. If it is very hot, you may get some monkey butt as a side effect, but you can use some vaseline/body glide or similar for that.

Specifically for said MB http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172067&catid=76580&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=76580&trxp2=172067&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT
:D

jcazz
08-20-2008, 17:28
http://antimonkeybutt.com/index.html

fitz
08-20-2008, 17:42
I work part time at Kings Island Amusement Park and we use a combindation of desitin ointment and baby powder to help with chaffing.

fitz

Summit
08-20-2008, 17:59
Ya, but definitely something to take note of for emergency situations. I looked up may apple and it's touted on herbalist sites. It's also very distinctive appearing.That's good that it's 'distinctive.' I'd hate to do a poison oak leaf suppository by mistake! :eek:

That would bring new meaning to the song "I could have danced all night." :D

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2008, 18:02

Same problem. I run on the beach a few times a week - keeps the skin perpetually toughened up. Suck it up.

Summit
08-20-2008, 18:03

Alternate is to wear the compression shorts but that seem in the crotch sure gets bad after a while :(In addition to the UA compression shorts I linked, I have a pair of bicycle spandex shorts that do not have that seam and they do work better. I picked them up at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for about $30 best I can remember. I've gotten years of use out of them and they show no wear.

Jim Adams
08-21-2008, 09:13
I use the WalMart brand of the UA long boxerswhich are much cheaper.

I've used the Wal-mart brand, Sears brand, TNF, Patagonia and Under Armor...the UA are the only ones that last. My Patagonias ($26) were totally shot in 6 days on the PCT. I'm still using my first pair of UA.

Body Glide didn't work for me. I applied it often and still chaiffed. Seemed that washing often simply woorked better.

Still found NOTHING that beats my kilts.:cool:

geek

Summit
08-21-2008, 10:22
Body Glide didn't work for me. I applied it often and still chaiffed.Hmmm, first person I've heard state that. I guess each person's unique body chemistry creates varying results. I once had a raw crotch area after completing the day's hike. I applied BG as soon as I set up my tent and again before going to sleep, and woke up the next morning to an about 95% healed area. I was absolutely amazed. I applied another dose of BG, hiked a good day's milage that day, and at the end of the day, the affected area was even more healed.

Homer&Marje
08-21-2008, 15:19
That's another reason to wear a skirt, you never have to drop your pants. No chafing or pants dropping. Since the original poster is over 200 pounds, he dosen't even have to call it a kilt.:banana

What would I call it? An upper thigh and buttocks wrap/cover. Please elaborate for my curiosities sake.

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 17:12

The Body Glide would definitely be my first choice, however, if you are out or get caught unprepared, leaves are a very viable choice.:D

lastminute1257
08-21-2008, 17:18
there is a can of stuff called BAG BALM it is mainly used to moisten the chaffed udders of cow's on farms, but it is one of the best secrets for chaffing on trail. Bear's Den hostel right before Harper's Ferry introduced me to it. Body Glide is another simple and easy option, its always worked good for me as well.

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 17:19
Ya, but definitely something to take note of for emergency situations. I looked up may apple and it's touted on herbalist sites. It's also very distinctive appearing.

I would hope that a hiker would have enough common sense not to use any foliage that they were unsure of. I used leaves and moss for many first aid purposes. -- It is kind of like when hikers start looking for and eating ramps (wild onions) but have no idea what they look like. I know they are pretty distinctive but I saw some hikers that were NOT eating ramps. I did not know what they were but I do know they weren't ramps.:confused:

leeki pole
08-21-2008, 17:26
The best way to avoid chafing is to lose some weight so your thighs don't rub together. Pretty simple, and I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2008, 17:35
The best way to avoid chafing is to lose some weight so your thighs don't rub together. Pretty simple, and I hope I didn't offend anyone.
That's true for some, but not all, like me. And that's why I keep the area perpetually toughened. With as active as I am I'd spend a small fortune on bodyglide type stuff.

Same problem. I run on the beach a few times a week - keeps the skin perpetually toughened up. Suck it up.

Homer&Marje
08-21-2008, 17:46

When I work out and am in good shape my thighs get larger, can you explain how I deal with this problem, again a lot of people aren't overweight, just large. The lowest weight I have been in the last 8 years was 217 lbs, I was fatter, out of shape, out of breath up a flight of stairs. Best shape I was in I was 242 lbs ran every day with a 40 lb pack on my back to do stair sets and a 2 mile jog, 45 minutes on the punching bag, 250 situps, 100 pushups. So with your theory if I lose weight, I get out of shape my legs deflate and I am a useless hiker with no chafing because my ass is on the couch. Thanks though.

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2008, 17:51
When I work out and am in good shape my thighs get larger, can you explain how I deal with this problem, again a lot of people aren't overweight, just large. The lowest weight I have been in the last 8 years was 217 lbs, I was fatter, out of shape, out of breath up a flight of stairs. Best shape I was in I was 242 lbs ran every day with a 40 lb pack on my back to do stair sets and a 2 mile jog, 45 minutes on the punching bag, 250 situps, 100 pushups. So with your theory if I lose weight, I get out of shape my legs deflate and I am a useless hiker with no chafing because my ass is on the couch. Thanks though.
So what did you do about the chaffing then? Like I said just keep running and it goes away, at least in my case. I also have beefy legs.

Mr. Parkay
08-21-2008, 18:24
I've used the Wal-mart brand, Sears brand, TNF, Patagonia and Under Armor...the UA are the only ones that last. My Patagonias ($26) were totally shot in 6 days on the PCT. I'm still using my first pair of UA.

Body Glide didn't work for me. I applied it often and still chaiffed. Seemed that washing often simply woorked better.

Still found NOTHING that beats my kilts.:cool:

geek

I just wanted to second what geek mentioned about using the Under Armour brand... . I have also tried other brands, like walmart and Patagonia boxer briefs, but they all failed since they tend to "bunch up". UA seems to be made of sturdier material, so it's worth the price.

The combination that works best for me is UnderArmour + Power... although it's clear that other things may work for others. Here's an excellent choice for the powder... if it hasn't been mentioned yet: Anti-Monkey Butt :D (http://www.antimonkeybutt.com)

Jim Adams
08-21-2008, 18:28

My thighs don't rub together, it is thigh to scrotum friction that chafes me. The body glide seems to work for alittle while but then as soon as I start sweating heavily, the salt build up under the BG causes severe irritation. At that point, I then need to wash off the BG and the salt.
I have found that the UA compression underware works great as long as I rinse them out every night.
Washing the area with a quick rinse with a wipe about every hour works also.
Still, nothing works as good as my kilts.
Could just be me and my metabolism though.:-?

geek

Summit
08-21-2008, 18:42
My thighs don't rub together, it is thigh to scrotum friction that chafes me. The body glide seems to work for alittle while but then as soon as I start sweating heavily, the salt build up under the BG causes severe irritation. At that point, I then need to wash off the BG and the salt.
I have found that the UA compression underware works great as long as I rinse them out every night.
Washing the area with a quick rinse with a wipe about every hour works also.
Still, nothing works as good as my kilts.
Could just be me and my metabolism though.:-?

geekExactly! Except our body chemistry must be very different, because one morning shot of BG, pull up the UA compression underware and although I may sweat profusely in the groin area, I'm good for the whole day without any further bother.

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 18:49

No offense... (to me anyway) However, i take it you are "trim". Not as simple as you make it sound. There are medical and physical reasons some people find it harder to lose weight. May I ask if you are a post menopausal woman, with four kids and thyroid problems??? Not an excuse for being overweight but it is a factor. Not all overweight people are slackers who sit on a couch and eat bon bons. It is always a slap when a thin person uses the word "simple or easy".

It is true less weight, less chaffing... but it is not "a simple" thing.

I did not get offended by the quoted post nor am I directing any harsh remarks to the poster. Take that for what it is worth.

Time for me to leave WB and go over to TJ and post the adventures of Stumpknocker, :D

Jim Adams
08-21-2008, 18:51
Exactly! Except our body chemistry must be very different, because one morning shot of BG, pull up the UA compression underware and although I may sweat profusely in the groin area, I'm good for the whole day without any further bother.

Summit,
I don't need the BG if I'm wearing the compression shorts, only if I wear normal underwear, shorts or pants, doesn't matter whether they have a liner or not.

geek

Homer&Marje
08-21-2008, 19:07
So what did you do about the chaffing then? Like I said just keep running and it goes away, at least in my case. I also have beefy legs.

If we may all remember, I started the thread yesterday to ask for advice on the problem. I haven't had time to actually test some of these theories. Promise I will get back to you with all my undercarriage problems and results. Are pictures necessary, seems like a curious group:D

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 21:13
If we may all remember, I started the thread yesterday to ask for advice on the problem. I haven't had time to actually test some of these theories. Promise I will get back to you with all my undercarriage problems and results. Are pictures necessary, seems like a curious group:D

I will say that any chaffing I get is usually a one time things as once the thigh skin toughens it goes away, so I agree with John on that point. Until then care for it.

Summit
08-21-2008, 21:46
Summit,
I don't need the BG if I'm wearing the compression shorts, only if I wear normal underwear, shorts or pants, doesn't matter whether they have a liner or not.

geekSame here basically. Every now and then on a very warm day I may develop a 'hot spot' wearing the UA compression underwear. I just slap on a little BG and no more worries. :)

Summit
08-21-2008, 21:48
Are pictures necessary, seems like a curious group:DSpare us, please! We may be curious, but we ain't sick . . . well, I can only speak for myself! :D :p

Homer&Marje
08-22-2008, 07:39
I will say that any chaffing I get is usually a one time things as once the thigh skin toughens it goes away, so I agree with John on that point. Until then care for it.

I have had this problem for at least 9 years that I can remember. At the risk of being disturbing, the skin already looks like a chewed up beaver tail. It just doesn't toughen any more. If I go hiking ( or to work) and then do the same thing the next day after getting chafing and not treating it somehow, My legs will bleed. Did that 17 mile hike with my father a week and a half ago and didn't think my legs had chafed at all, drove 2 hours back home and when I got out of the truck I almost died. I had to walk with my feet 3 ft apart till I got some powder on the legs.

Valentine
08-22-2008, 09:15
Ditch the underwear, it just absorbs sweat and holds in heat. Apply some sort of zinc oxide, anti perspirant to affected areas. Just double check your fly after watering the bushes!:D

Hammock Hanger
08-22-2008, 10:09
I have had this problem for at least 9 years that I can remember. At the risk of being disturbing, the skin already looks like a chewed up beaver tail. It just doesn't toughen any more. If I go hiking ( or to work) and then do the same thing the next day after getting chafing and not treating it somehow, My legs will bleed. Did that 17 mile hike with my father a week and a half ago and didn't think my legs had chafed at all, drove 2 hours back home and when I got out of the truck I almost died. I had to walk with my feet 3 ft apart till I got some powder on the legs.

WOW!!:o That sounds very painful. Guess you are just going to be one of those people that always has chaffing issues and major precautions and treatment will always be a part of your routine. Have you gotten an suggestions from a dermatologist??

Homer&Marje
08-22-2008, 15:19
I don't trust doctors. Just Hikers:D.... just kidding, I don't think i'd buy the prescription they gave me anyways. I have many suggestions that I've just received through this thread, if all else fails, maybe I'll see a dermy tologicista thingamajig

the goat
08-22-2008, 15:26
A+D medicated ointment. it lubricates & medicates and is the ultimate chafing cure.

cavscout
08-22-2008, 15:40
A lot of these ointments being mentioned, I could see using them as healing treatments when the chaffing has already occurred. Many of the ointments are just too wet and goopy to wear as preventive measure as they would wipe off on the clothing and even if they don't wipe off entirely, they will get your clothes slimy. For prevention you would want to use something that will go on relatively dry and thick.

Summit
08-22-2008, 18:25
A lot of these ointments being mentioned, I could see using them as healing treatments when the chaffing has already occurred. Many of the ointments are just too wet and goopy to wear as preventive measure as they would wipe off on the clothing and even if they don't wipe off entirely, they will get your clothes slimy. For prevention you would want to use something that will go on relatively dry and thick.Yup, like BodyGlide! Not trying to beat a dead horse, and in all likelyhood, some of the other potions mentioned work also, but I'll stand by BG for its phenominal results I've experienced. I turned my wife onto it for monkey butt reasons when doing exercise walking and now I can't keep a stick of it around for myself . . . she steals them! :)

Wags
08-23-2008, 00:03
hehe i still have some of the A&D leftover from my last tat

Undershaft
08-23-2008, 13:32
Going commando worked for me last summer on the AT. Never wore underwear when hiking and never had problems. It was hot and humid too, I was in the mid-atlantic section in July. Yesterday, when I was hiking out of the Pemigewasset Wilderness I was wearing boxers and got some serious chafing at the intersection of my butt, thighs, and sack. I was on fire! It was not a pleasant ride home. Gold Bond gave relief after a shower, but I never should have let it happen. Boxers trap heat and sweat, and provide another surface for friction. Going commando allows air to get to the skin, and dry skin is key to being comfortable.

Homer&Marje
08-24-2008, 10:32
Going commando is probably best, May I assume the nature of your trail name,Undershaft :D

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2008, 19:31
Ditch the underwear, it just absorbs sweat and holds in heat. Apply some sort of zinc oxide, anti perspirant to affected areas. Just double check your fly after watering the bushes!:D

I have tried commando - depends on your overall weight some times it works sometimes it makes it worse...

men men men... Monty Pythonish.

Undershaft
08-25-2008, 21:32
Going commando is probably best, May I assume the nature of your trail name,Undershaft :D

That's good! I never thought of that interpretation before. Undershaft is actually the name of the antagonist in a hundred year old play by G.B. Shaw.

satchmo
08-25-2008, 22:13
I used a tube a something My kid had for or diaper rash . May be called desitin cant remember. It soothed and cooled.

seaside
08-26-2008, 10:57
A+D medicated ointment. it lubricates & medicates and is the ultimate chafing cure.
Yes, A & D might be the answer. That is what hospitals use to prevent bedsores on patients.

Marta
08-26-2008, 13:05
I used a tube a something My kid had for or diaper rash . May be called desitin cant remember. It soothed and cooled.

I don't doubt Desitin would work as far as the rash, but given its cod liver oil content, it seems as if it would be the ultimate perfume for attracting bears.:eek:

Wanderer
08-26-2008, 15:37
I have gone commando for 20 years of hiking and never have any problems.

Fort Defience
Abington, Pa

NICKTHEGREEK
08-26-2008, 16:33
Here's some ww-2 nose art (tail art is more appropriate) that would make a fine avatar

deadair
08-28-2008, 00:43
body glide!

Homer&Marje
08-28-2008, 07:47
It won't let me view page 5, lets see if I post it will teleport me:D

gjbu
09-02-2008, 23:08
Desitin and balmex work good. I did not have any this weekend and a friends goldbond saved the day. Nick the Greeks nose art was me Sunday.

ZeroC
09-05-2008, 15:14

Alternate is to wear the compression shorts but that seem in the crotch sure gets bad after a while :(

I know it's unconventional, and not fashionable if you're not wearing shorts, but i wear my compressions shorts inside out so the "smooth clean seam" is on the inside. Why they have the rough seem in the inside to begin with is beyond me. Be much more comfortable to have a smooth seam on the inside.