PDA

View Full Version : Tent Platforms??

Mountain Dog
08-20-2008, 10:05
Silly to some but an unknown to those of us hiking mostly in the southeast, but how do you erect a tent on a tent platform? I've seen one platform down here and I only used it to take a short break. I do not remember seeing anything to which I could tie to to errect a tent. I'm looking at doing the Whites next year and I'm curious as to how the tent platforms work in case I need to carry something special.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2008, 10:07
Silly to some but an unknown to those of us hiking mostly in the southeast, but how do you erect a tent on a tent platform? I've seen one platform down here and I only used it to take a short break. I do not remember seeing anything to which I could tie to to errect a tent. I'm looking at doing the Whites next year and I'm curious as to how the tent platforms work in case I need to carry something special.

lotsa cord and eyehooks

rafe
08-20-2008, 10:20
There's always a way -- don't sweat it. Cord and eyehooks, like LW says. Or just some twigs jammed in between the slats of the platform. Obviously, this is where a free-standing tent comes in handy.

JohnnyB
08-20-2008, 10:37
As terrapin says, if the tent is freestanding it's real easy. Other than that, cord and eye hooks as well plus one other trick. You can sometimes run cord to the edge of the platform and pull it down through the slats at the edge. Then girth hitch a horizontal stake to the cord and pulled up against the boards. Do the same on the other side and tension will hold it down nicely.

summitnh
08-20-2008, 17:48
I just returned from the Whites. Stayed at Kinsman Pond Shelter/tent platforms. The tent platforms there have several Hooks (bolts..I don't know what to call them) on all sides of the platforms. I brought some cording to tie my tent to them. I could also just jam my tent stakes in between the platform boards.

JohnnyB
08-20-2008, 19:46
As terrapin says, if the tent is freestanding it's real easy. Other than that, cord and eye hooks as well plus one other trick. You can sometimes run cord to the edge of the platform and pull it down through the slats at the edge. Then girth hitch a horizontal stake to the cord and pulled up against the boards. Do the same on the other side and tension will hold it down nicely.

Sorry, I meant to say clove hitch, not girth hitch.

Blissful
08-20-2008, 19:56
I was glad to have a freestanding tent in the the Whites, esp with the wind factor and other unpredictable weather conditions. We used the MSR Hubba hubba. We used the tarptent down south.

Mountain Dog
08-22-2008, 16:44
Thanks for the info. I'll carry soem extra cord and juryrig something if I hit a platform without eye hooks or such around the edges of the platform.

veteran
08-23-2008, 13:51
Tent platform w/eyebolts (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums/NewPicoShelter/aak.sized.jpg)