PDA

View Full Version : Water situation from Dennis Cove to Damascus

ric2hunt
08-20-2008, 11:16
What is the current water situation from Dennis Cove to Damascus? Also, what is the foot traffic like on this section this time of year?

Lone Wolf
08-20-2008, 11:49
springs are low and there's very little traffic on the trail

Tennessee Viking
08-20-2008, 12:53
What is the current water situation from Dennis Cove to Damascus? Also, what is the foot traffic like on this section this time of year?We really haven't had a sustained for a while.
No troubles with water around Dennis Cove.
I heard that you might have to walk a little further down at Vandaventer. Then one source around Iron Mtn Shelter is considered contaminated (signs should be posted).
I would bet springs around Watauga Lake then up Grindstaff would be low. They were usually the first ones to go last year.

The spring at 421 was ok. But the spring north of Double Springs Gap was really low.

SouthBounders will probably won't be showing up till mid September. And its usually light thru traffic.

Cabin Fever
08-20-2008, 20:52
We really haven't had a sustained for a while.
No troubles with water around Dennis Cove.
I heard that you might have to walk a little further down at Vandaventer. Then one source around Iron Mtn Shelter is considered contaminated (signs should be posted).
I would bet springs around Watauga Lake then up Grindstaff would be low. They were usually the first ones to go last year.

The spring at 421 was ok. But the spring north of Double Springs Gap was really low.

SouthBounders will probably won't be showing up till mid September. And its usually light thru traffic.

What he said + the fact that Damascus to Watauga Lake is practically all on the ridgeline except for the climb out of Damascus and descent to the lake. I would consider stashing water at road crossings if you can.

Tennessee Viking
08-20-2008, 22:35
Last year, a number of SOBOs were hiking without water after leaving Damascus. Bob Peoples and some others usually leave a water drop at TN91. Then section hikers from Dennis Cove and Damascus will hide a water stash. Just keep it well hidden.

Cabin maybe we should talk the TVA into installing a water fountain or spiket at the dam or access road before heading up Iron Mtn.

Mocs123
12-09-2008, 12:20
I am planning on hiking this section over New Years weekend? Has anyone been up there lately and checked the water? I am assuming that this time of year everything would be flowing, but just wanted to make sure.

Cabin Fever
12-09-2008, 14:33
I haven't been up there, but I would guess that it is flowing. We have gotten a good bit of rain and snow lately. Of course you can get water at Laurel Fork. After that, there is the lake. From the lake to Damascus, Double Springs Shelter and Low Gap are probably ok. Iron Mountain Shelter could be flowing. I think you could be fine if you fill up at the lake to keep you to at least Iron Mountain Shelter or Double Springs Shelter.

Mocs123
12-09-2008, 15:40
I thought the water source at Iron Mountain Shelter was closed due to some sort of contamination, is that no longer the case?