PDA

View Full Version : Bly gap to springer

alliep
08-20-2008, 15:06
I plan on section hiking from Bly gap to springer in october. I live in Ohio...and plan on dropping my car off at amicalola state park and having my parents drive me back up to Blue ridge gap- apparently there is road access at mile 72. Is there free long term (1-2 week) parking at amicalola state park and has anyone used that access road before?
Thanks!!! :)

Lone Wolf
08-20-2008, 15:09
I plan on section hiking from Bly gap to springer in october. I live in Ohio...and plan on dropping my car off at amicalola state park and having my parents drive me back up to Blue ridge gap- apparently there is road access at mile 72. Is there free long term (1-2 week) parking at amicalola state park and has anyone used that access road before?
Thanks!!! :)

parking will cost you $3 at amicalola state park. i've been up that road before, it's gravel but driveable

Hoop
08-20-2008, 15:10
You'll pay a small fee ($3.00?) to park when you arrive. Register at the visitor center, and you can leave the car in the adjacent parking lot.

max patch
08-20-2008, 15:40
The one time I tried that road (years ago) I was in a 4wd ford explorer and had to turn around as the road was way too rough. Since then they've done regular maintenance on the road, but some people report they've had to turn back and others have reported they've been able to drive on the road to its end. Depends on the conditions at the time.

I'd suggest you send a PM to Mother Nature (who I think is the maintainer in that section) and/or start a Blue Ridge Gap thread closer to your start date and see if you can get the current condition of the road and if you need a high clearance vehicle to get there.

Parking at ASP is safe. $3 for up to six months.

Ron Haven
08-20-2008, 19:41
I do shuttles to that area often in a 2 wheel drive chevy van.I was there about a months ago and it was very passable then.

bigmac_in
08-20-2008, 20:09
I do shuttles to that area often in a 2 wheel drive chevy van.I was there about a months ago and it was very passable then.

There you go, no more information needed. Have fun on your hike - you'll love it.

max patch
08-20-2008, 20:14
Thanks Ron, I should have listed you as an information source for that area. Brain freeze, I guess.

bigmac_in
08-20-2008, 20:23
I'd suggest you send a PM to Mother Nature (who I think is the maintainer in that section) and/or start a Blue Ridge Gap thread closer to your start date and see if you can get the current condition of the road and if you need a high clearance vehicle to get there.

I met Mother Nature this June at Blue Ridge Gap, doing some maintaining. That is definately her section (from Blue Ridge Gap to Bly Gap I believe).

take-a-knee
08-20-2008, 22:01
I met Mother Nature this June at Blue Ridge Gap, doing some maintaining. That is definately her section (from Blue Ridge Gap to Bly Gap I believe).

Well, Mother Nature rocks then, when I was through that section in June it was absolutely manicured.

Skidsteer
08-20-2008, 22:20
Well, Mother Nature rocks then, when I was through that section in June it was absolutely manicured.

You got that right. Positively pristine.

alliep
08-21-2008, 08:49
thanks guys!!!!

Ron Haven
08-21-2008, 09:54
Thanks Ron, I should have listed you as an information source for that area. Brain freeze, I guess.I am glad to help.O you do fine.ps plan on coming up for our hiker Christmas party the 1st weekend in December.

I met Mother Nature this June at Blue Ridge Gap, doing some maintaining. That is definately her section (from Blue Ridge Gap to Bly Gap I believe).Mother Nature and Smoke Stack are both super,super people and friends.:sun

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 10:26
Mother Nature and Smoke Stack are both super,super people and friends.:sun

I see her car at Dicks Creek Gap it seems like every single time I am up there!!

Roots
08-21-2008, 11:06
Gungho and I were just up there in July. That section looks good and has definitely had a lot of work done on the trail since I came through in April. I met up with Mother Nature and Smokestack when Ron came to pick us up. It was great seeing them again. I made sure to complement her work on the trail. :sun

alliep
08-21-2008, 16:37
Another quick question! If I don't want to backtrack going from blue ridge to bly to blue ridge and then to springer, is there a road access a little further north of bly gap that would be quicker to take?

Skidsteer
08-21-2008, 16:57
Another quick question! If I don't want to backtrack going from blue ridge to bly to blue ridge and then to springer, is there a road access a little further north of bly gap that would be quicker to take?

Not really.

Deep Gap is the next road access @ 6.8 miles North. OTOH, Deep Gap is an easy shuttle for Ron Haven....