PDA

View Full Version : Official Volunteer here

rootball
08-20-2008, 16:40
I got signed up and will now be tracking my hours as a volunteer trail clearing, weed whacking, downfall moving monster. It will be like that time on Seinfeld when Kramer re-painted the lines in the road. LOOK OUT! TIMBER!!! Woo hoo gonna do some choppin'. Thanks for the advice from folks on this board. I never knew that signing up had benefits like insurance. I'm gonna get a custom hard hat with a picture of big fat beaver on it.
Move it or lose it - trail choppper comin' through! :eek:

Digger'02
08-20-2008, 16:48
alright! are you with the SMHC?

flemdawg1
08-20-2008, 17:22
Awesome. I'm tired of having to move over for other people. Make that puppy a 6-laner. :-)

Lyle
08-20-2008, 17:42
Great! Welcome. This is a whole new way to enjoy our trails. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling that simply hiking them doesn't.

One drawback: once you learn proper trail design and maintenance procedures you forever are analyzing the trails you hike. :) But you do develop a sincere appreciation of all the work that went into the construction and maintenance even when they aren't perfect.

Enjoy and BE SAFE!

Cookerhiker
08-20-2008, 18:02
Congratulations! Welcome to the brotherhood/sisterhood of maintainers. What section are you doing?

Cabin Fever
08-20-2008, 20:54
I got signed up and will now be tracking my hours as a volunteer trail clearing, weed whacking, downfall moving monster. It will be like that time on Seinfeld when Kramer re-painted the lines in the road. LOOK OUT! TIMBER!!! Woo hoo gonna do some choppin'. Thanks for the advice from folks on this board. I never knew that signing up had benefits like insurance. I'm gonna get a custom hard hat with a picture of big fat beaver on it.

Congratulations and thanks for becoming a trail maintainer! Just don't paint white blazes on side trails!

Lone Wolf
08-20-2008, 20:55
wow! hey! i just got accepted to to drive a rescue sqaud vehicle for the Damascus Lifesaving Crew! i'm special :cool:

camojack
08-20-2008, 21:02
wow! hey! i just got accepted to to drive a rescue sqaud vehicle for the Damascus Lifesaving Crew! i'm special :cool:
We've always known you were special. Now you can compete in the Special Olympics... ;)

Tennessee Viking
08-20-2008, 22:29
So do we need to post or PM you on WB instead of calling 911.
How many hikers can you stick inside the ambulance when shuttling hikers.
And do your lifesaving services stop at the shelters. lol:banana

Dances with Mice
08-20-2008, 23:28
wow! hey! i just got accepted to to drive a rescue sqaud vehicle for the Damascus Lifesaving Crew! i'm special :cool:Yes you are.

Will you have to go for EMT training?

Tennessee Viking
08-21-2008, 00:08
Move it or lose it - trail choppper comin' through! :eek:You get insurance with the Smokies crew...:o

Dang..I had to sign my life away being a non-Eastman employee for the TEHCC crew. Then again, we get a number of college students and hikers to do the same. haha

Lone Wolf
08-21-2008, 06:48
Yes you are.

Will you have to go for EMT training?

no but i probably will later on anyway

NICKTHEGREEK
08-21-2008, 08:28
Wondered why it was parked outside of Dot's

Dances with Mice
08-21-2008, 08:41
i'm special I told them I wasn't but they made me ride the short bus anyway.

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 08:42
Think about it. Faster response time, so parking the rescue vehicle there is a public service.

StarLyte
08-21-2008, 08:47

I like your attitude rootball--you sound excited...I would be too!

I hope to run into you while you're on the Trail - that would be so cool.

Thanks a lot and good luck! :sun

StarLyte
08-21-2008, 08:50

I think that's great - all joking aside !

And when you rescue someone...your life will change forever.

Good luck and start another thread to tell us the stories ha ha ;)

(I hope this doesn't mean you're not attending the Gathering :mad:)

Lone Wolf
08-21-2008, 08:57
(I hope this doesn't mean you're not attending the Gathering :mad:)

i may not but it has nothing to do with driving the rescue vehicle

OregonHiker
08-21-2008, 09:50

the short ambulance? :)

Bare Bear
08-21-2008, 17:43
and once when I was at 'rescue camp' we all got drunk and ..............