PDA

View Full Version : Red Wolves of Deep Gap Shelter

slider
03-08-2004, 11:11
This past weekend we excited to hear Red Wolves in the distance..they were letting us know they were in the area. Twice during the night we were called to by the pack that was in the area. Everyone in the shelter felt we were given a special gift from the trail.

Youngblood
03-08-2004, 11:50
Slider, are you talking about the Deep Gap Shelter in Georgia that is 63.3 miles north of Springer?

Youngblood

MOWGLI
03-08-2004, 11:56
This past weekend we excited to hear Red Wolves in the distance..they were letting us know they were in the area.

Slider, just curious... How did you distinguish the call from that of a Coyote?

slider
03-08-2004, 16:52
Slider, are you talking about the Deep Gap Shelter in Georgia that is 63.3 miles north of Springer?

Youngblood

Yes that is the correct Deep Gap Shelter..

slider
03-08-2004, 16:55
Slider, just curious... How did you distinguish the call from that of a Coyote?
Heheheheh ..well if it had been just me I would have said the old coyote with a southern accent..but there was a Forest Service Ranger in the shelter that informed us that it was indeed Red Wolves. She had been studying the movements of the pack.

MOWGLI
03-08-2004, 16:57
Heheheheh ..well if it had been just me I would have said the old coyote with a southern accent..but there was a Forest Service Ranger in the shelter that informed us that it was indeed Red Wolves. She had been studying the movements of the pack.

Thanks for the info.

Funguy
06-14-2004, 22:16
I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think there are any wolve's in the wild in Georgia - only coyote's

"The only wild population of red wolves occurs in northeastern
North Carolina, where over 100 red wolves span 1.5 million acres. http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_51027.asp"

torch
06-15-2004, 09:52
I was involved in gray wolf reintroduction out west. While I am by no means an expert on red wolves, I am pretty knowledgeable on the subject. I am thinking the girl wasn't likely being very honest with you. Red wolves are, or were before being wiped out, coastal animals primarily. This is why the original repopulation attempts in the mountains of NC failed. Currently, the population isn't dense enough for them to start moving to higher elevations. Too many resources and not enough crowding for them to start abandoning their favored habitat. Likely you heard coyotes, because it will probably be a long time before red wolves make it to the AT.