PDA

View Full Version : Gas mask at Rainbow stream

dragonfly_me
08-20-2008, 23:46
I was wondering if anyone can explain what is up with the gas mask at Rainbow stream lean-to in the 100 mile wilderness? It was hanging in a bag in the shelter. A bit random but pretty funny. There were also 2 crutches on the trail right before Rainbow stream lean-to and one at the shelter. Just wondering if there is a story behind this.

warraghiyagey
08-21-2008, 01:36
IT wasn't there at the end of June.
Sounds like someone had a very eclectic gear list.

KG4FAM
08-21-2008, 06:04
There were 5 people at the AT Lodge around the 1st of July carrying lots of Army Surplus. I know that 2 went home at Abol Bridge, but this is something that they would have carried. They each had over 80 lbs after sending home 60 lbs before they started. They were using ammo vests to carry their cheese crackers and each had an army shovel. Maybe those boys left it in the hiker box when they went home and someone picked it up.

Doughnut
08-21-2008, 07:24
I was at Rainbow Springs Shelter around July 10th, there wasn't a gas mask or crutches that I saw, there was a huge, heavy, hand ax (aka hatchett) Everyone thought of keeping it, no one wanted to lug it.

The place was a mess, so two guys from Conneticut and I cleaned it up. Seems people just leave their unwanteds, assuming someone else will police it up.

Doc
08-21-2008, 07:54
I also found a crutch on a tree just in from Rt. 15 in Monson. I was coming back from a work trip and added it to my supply of trash to be carried out. I suspect that a miracle took place and an injured person has able to walk again after experiencing the wonders of the AT for a half mile. He/she then cast off the crutch and was able to walk on to the big K.

Doc

warraghiyagey
08-21-2008, 08:24
I also found a crutch on a tree just in from Rt. 15 in Monson. I was coming back from a work trip and added it to my supply of trash to be carried out. I suspect that a miracle took place and an injured person has able to walk again after experiencing the wonders of the AT for a half mile. He/she then cast off the crutch and was able to walk on to the big K.

Doc
There was a crutch there when we came out on July 3rd. After doing the 100 mile it was kind of funny.

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 08:25
I've had an episode or two where a gas mask woulda been handy. However, I adjusted my diet and that got better. :sun

Jason of the Woods
08-21-2008, 09:27
Some people convert those into smoking apparatuses. I read a book about it one time.;)

Freeleo
08-21-2008, 09:29
they were not there on july 24 of 2008

Lone Wolf
08-21-2008, 09:31
they weren't there on august 10th of 2000

Darwin again
08-21-2008, 10:08
Looks like a Russian cilvilian model. Lots of them are being sold at dizzyingly high markups by military surplus joints and "preparedness" shysters on the internets.

Something like that could help out in a few areas: 1) protection against hiker funk 2) dealing with the consequences of the all-bean hiking diet 3) could be used as blackfly protection (very effective, if very hot). 4) could be used to scare wildlife or 5) could be used to attract police attention in towns.
But useful against chemical or biological attack? Nah, not so much.

I wouldn't have put that thing on and breathed through it. Those filters are sketchy at best, even when new and after hanging around in the forest for a while could be full of all manner of germs and/or mold or unknown, unhealthy funks.

MOWGLI
08-21-2008, 10:09
I was wondering if anyone can explain what is up with the gas mask at Rainbow stream lean-to in the 100 mile wilderness? It was hanging in a bag in the shelter. A bit random but pretty funny. There were also 2 crutches on the trail right before Rainbow stream lean-to and one at the shelter. Just wondering if there is a story behind this.

Shelter flatulence. Need I say more?

Time To Fly 97
08-21-2008, 10:15
Fart baseball champions these days just have it easier...its better equipment that wins the game, not actual skill. lol

Happy hiking!

TTF

weary
08-21-2008, 10:50
Nor October 3, 1991!

Odd Thomas
08-24-2008, 23:44

I found chem filters for a gasmask in a dead campfire once, someone had been cooking meth in the woods.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-25-2008, 00:08

LOL, 200"0" good one!

But useful against chemical or biological attack? Nah, not so much.
Those filters are sketchy at best

I agree with you one that comment. When I was in the Army (playing war games not in a war at that time) they issued FAKE filters ... how brilliant was that, lol. Kind of difficult to 'test' gear for the real things when they use faulty masks to begin with and Heaven forbid some happened as no one would have time to dawn the real mccoy:eek:

hikemikehike
04-09-2011, 17:16
sounds like somebody knows quite a bit about cooking meth ;)

mweinstone
04-09-2011, 19:52
just got back from abol. found a howletzer and a mac 10 just laying in the trail with boxes of ammo. me and my buddys got evey bit. nice find.

One Half
04-09-2011, 20:00
years ago in the 100 mile wilderness there was a tree with an electrical outlet in it.

didnt have my hair dryer to check it out though :)

veteran
04-09-2011, 22:58
just got back from abol. found a howletzer and a mac 10 just laying in the trail with boxes of ammo. me and my buddys got evey bit. nice find.

A Howitzer...how did you transport it?

http://www.olive-drab.com/images/id_m777howitzer_02_700.jpg