PDA

View Full Version : Age Span of Members

Brushy Sage
03-08-2004, 11:36
Today, on my birthday (75), I'm wondering who the oldest (me?) and youngest members of WhiteBlaze are. Anybody in the bidding?

Streamweaver
03-08-2004, 12:59
Today, on my birthday (75), I'm wondering who the oldest (me?) and youngest members of WhiteBlaze are. Anybody in the bidding?

Happy birthday!!! I think Brian is prolly the youngest, not sure about the oldest tho. Streamweaver

Wyatt
03-08-2004, 13:31
27 years of hiking, climbing, sleeping and "getting lost" in the woods here.

Happy Birthday!

Wyatt

nlaing
03-08-2004, 13:48
I've got Wyatt by a year at 26.

max patch
03-08-2004, 14:49
Happy birthday!!! I think Brian is prolly the youngest, not sure about the oldest tho. Streamweaver

Good guess about Brian; he's 16 years old which is a few months younger than Earlyriser who was my first guess.

However, Dirty_Wabbitt has only had 6 birthdays!

illininagel
03-08-2004, 15:16

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your 75th...

Illininagel

:clap

Rain Man
03-08-2004, 15:34

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Brushy! Though I think Uncle Wayne and I might have you beat. That is, if we can tag-team ya! I'm a real young feller, but I think Uncle Wayne must be real old, for I hear he has more grey in his beard than I do! LOL

weary
03-08-2004, 15:37

Well, you beat me by a little less than two months. I reach the three quarter century mark on May 4, chronologically at least.

A couple of weeks ago our land trust had a "strategic" planning retreat. And folks worried about who was going to carry on when we were gone. The lament was, "we have no young people." I looked around the room, saw a range from 35-63, and thought, "this is a worry. There's me, but who else." Then I remembered.

By the way. Does anyone know how "strategic" planning, differs from ordinary long range planning? I recognize the human desire to be pompous. I search my 1946 Merriman Webster, and my more recent 1999 version, without finding any real clues.

Do you suppose this is an age thing? The distinction between "strategic" and "long range" totally escapes me. Well. "Strategic" is admitedly fuzzy. The alternative implies a bit of meaning, at least.

Weary

MOWGLI
03-08-2004, 16:06
By the way. Does anyone know how "strategic" planning, differs from ordinary long range planning? I recognize the human desire to be pompous. I search my 1946 Merriman Webster, and my more recent 1999 version, without finding any real clues.

To me, strategic planning suggests a planning session for an organization that is Mission specific. This usually involves a SWOT analysis, and the outputs are clearly defined & measureable goals. I'm not sure that long range planning is always as focused on the Mission.

By the way, SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunites & Threats.

Weary, I met MATLT Board Member Tony Barrett at Trails Advocacy Week in DC. Nice fellow, and nice brochure.

oyvay
03-08-2004, 21:38
:banana :banana
Congrats on your day! If I make it to 75 I hope I have half as much energy as you!
:clap

brian
03-08-2004, 22:14
One day, Ill be sitting with my grandkids, and telling them about this great website that was called Whiteblaze.net

I think I'm the youngest too...

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013=>After Grad School

Jaybird
03-09-2004, 06:51

Happy belated BIRTHDAY

i hope i'm still hiking @ 75.....i beleive you are as young as you feel...& if i keep walkin', hikin', backpackin', campin', & cyclin'....i should stay young (feelin') for a loooooooooooooong time!

i turn 50 on April 27th :D

which means my beard is gray...but, my hair...(what little i have left)..is mostly brown...heading to gray...hehehehehe

Uncle Wayne
03-09-2004, 08:16
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Brushy! Though I think Uncle Wayne and I might have you beat. That is, if we can tag-team ya! I'm a real young feller, but I think Uncle Wayne must be real old, for I hear he has more grey in his beard than I do! LOL

Hope you had a good day Brushy, somehow I missed this thread yesterday.

Rain Man,
If you could see me without my hat you'd note that my hair is grey also. I have never worried about being grey headed or bearded. When I still had dark hair a grey haired sage told me that when hair grows down and hits brain matter it turns grey, when it doesn't hit brain matter it turns loose. :D

Don't shave until Grasspicker comes home. Really have enjoyed your updates.
Uncle Wayne, 51 in June.

smokymtnsteve
03-09-2004, 10:28
One day, Ill be sitting with my grandkids, and telling them about this great website that was called Whiteblaze.net

I think I'm the youngest too...

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013=>After Grad School

your grandkids will then ask you "what is a website?"

Frosty
03-09-2004, 11:31
By the way. Does anyone know how "strategic" planning, differs from ordinary long range planning?

My guess is that "strategic" is borrowed from the military.

Tactical = immediate, of most interest to lower level leaders, the ones who get shot at before breakfast

Strategic = long term planning, of most interest to high level leaders, the ones who eat catered brunch while sticking pins in maps, not realizing they are making soldiers set up camps in the middle of swamps and rice paddies when high ground is only a few hundred yards away. (Okay, it's been 35 years and I'm still annoyed about THAT one.)

Matt Pincham
03-15-2004, 10:36
Happy (very) belated birthday Brushy Sage.

On a similar topic, does anyone know who are the oldest and youngest people to complete a thru-hike? I'm 21 and my girlfriend's just turned 19 so all things going well we should finish. Even if we don't, I'm still gonna have the time of my life.

Matt

Jersey Bob
03-15-2004, 17:39
at least 10 characters

Uncle Wayne
03-16-2004, 02:12
Happy (very) belated birthday Brushy Sage.

On a similar topic, does anyone know who are the oldest and youngest people to complete a thru-hike? I'm 21 and my girlfriend's just turned 19 so all things going well we should finish. Even if we don't, I'm still gonna have the time of my life.

Matt

Matt,

One of our fellow Whiteblazers thru hiked when he was 6! I believe he is registered as mcw1882. Quite a story. There's a thread he started on here somewhere.

You've got the right attitude. Go out there to have fun!

Saluki Dave
03-16-2004, 21:30
Just what are the age demographics of Whiteblaze members?