PDA

View Full Version : Overweight and on the trail

adventurousmtnlvr
08-21-2008, 13:36
It was proposed to me by a moderator no less, that overweight people are more likely to have chaffing and ??Monkey Butt (WB term certainly not mine, until yesterday I had no idea what that even was, lol) and that if overweight people would lose weight they wouldn't have those problems. I would be in a category of overweight due to medicine and medical problems. But I also work out daily, sometimes twice as well as roller-skate, dance and hike. I've never had either of those problems myself (yet) although I have read that "some" people do. So what are your thoughts in this matter?

MOWGLI
08-21-2008, 13:46
Carry and use Body Glide if it is a concern.

Tipi Walter
08-21-2008, 13:48
Monkey butt and/or mud butt can occur at anytime to nearly anyone and is not dependent on total body weight, etc. This is my latest and most mature opinion.

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 13:49
It was proposed to me by a moderator no less, that overweight people are more likely to have chaffing and ??Monkey Butt (WB term certainly not mine, until yesterday I had no idea what that even was, lol) and that if overweight people would lose weight they wouldn't have those problems. I would be in a category of overweight due to medicine and medical problems. But I also work out daily, sometimes twice as well as roller-skate, dance and hike. I've never had either of those problems myself (yet) although I have read that "some" people do. So what are your thoughts in this matter?

There are a number of us that start on the trail more overweight then we would like. As we hike the weight adjust. That said i have friends who are NOT overweight that have had cases of M-Butt. Even thin people sweat. As for chaffing, thin people are less likely have chaffing from the legs rubbing against each other. Lucky them!!! If you are overwt but are still healthy enough and have a desire to hike just plan for the chaffing and carry whatever precautions or help you can for it.

Two Speed
08-21-2008, 13:54
. . . . . . . . .

Mags
08-21-2008, 14:21
It is not so much Monkey butt, but what runners call "chub rub" (http://amandalovato.blogspot.com/2006/07/chub-rub.html)that people who carry a little extra weight (does not take much) may experience.

(AS the link shows, even uber-athletes get it, too. Just more likely to happen if you are like most of us ordinary mortals :D)

A bit more problematic in running than hiking, but still something that my happen. Esp. in hot and humid conditions.

Body Glide, as suggested earlier, works really well.

Though a running site, this may be helpful as well:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mr050721lt

Monkeywrench
08-21-2008, 14:37
As a runner I can say for sure that chafing is bad, but what really takes the cake is the first time you finish a long run and then notice the two lines of blood dripping down your front after your shirt abraded the ends of both nipples off. Yikes!

Nip-Guards: Don't Leave Home Without Them!

buff_jeff
08-21-2008, 14:39
I'm not fat and I got some swamp ass and chafage this summer.

Mags
08-21-2008, 14:50

Yet another use for duct tape! (I've had the bloody nipples thing..not fun..esp once you get in the shower. OUCH ! :eek:)

Alligator
08-21-2008, 14:54
As a runner I can say for sure that chafing is bad, but what really takes the cake is the first time you finish a long run and then notice the two lines of blood dripping down your front after your shirt abraded the ends of both nipples off. Yikes!

Nip-Guards: Don't Leave Home Without Them!A cycling problem also.

Homer&Marje
08-21-2008, 14:59
I am 230 lbs and 6' tall, I'm not fat... though I'm not skinny either. I have a lot of muscle mass on me and am in very good shape. My legs rub together and i get chafing. Both my parents were marathon runners back in the 80's and 90's, they would vaseline the legs, nipples, and armpits before anything over 15 miles, now I hear of this Body Glide stuff, gotta look into it. Marje is very intrigued on my "Cheek" application process, as am I.

Just for reference, my father is 6' 165 lbs, He gets chafing too and he's like a rail. My brother is 5'7" 115 lbs and he gets chafing and he's built like an anorexic teenager. Sweat + Friction = Chafing

dessertrat
08-21-2008, 17:19

If I start to notice that as a problem while hiking I put bandaids over both nipples. And people can laugh all they want- it works.

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 17:23

I have heard of this... however as a woman who usually hikes braless I find it strange that I have never experenced it. Maybe my are bouncing too much...:eek:

Bare Bear
08-21-2008, 17:32
Starting a thru overweight might actually be helpful. I lost 70 pounds on my thru and was in great shape when I finished versus several hikers I know that really sufferred since they started near a 'normal' weight and got too thin so that it really affected their hikes. I know of two hikers that developed heart problems due to being seriously under weight....

Bare Bear
08-21-2008, 17:33
BTW HH, I always thought you were just 'atheletic'. :)
I still have from Gold Head to the end of the FT to do this winter!

Monkeywrench
08-21-2008, 17:47
A cycling problem also.

Really? I've never had it from cycling. Road or MTB? I'm thinking maybe the upright position of MTB riding would lend itself to chafing.

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 18:56
BTW HH, I always thought you were just 'atheletic'. :)
I still have from Gold Head to the end of the FT to do this winter!

Keep me in mind. I doubt I would want to hike all the way from GH (which is just down the road from me) to the north end. However, I do have a 20 mile stretch in the Apalachicola to finsh up. Perhaps I can meet up with you. Keep me in the loop. HH

Wise Old Owl
08-21-2008, 19:29
. . . . . . . . .

Follow the light TS.... Don't follow the dark side or my path -tis' dark in the wood.

Mag's Duct tape - where? woooay to sensitive. use bandaids.

Cookerhiker
08-21-2008, 19:39
Re chaffing, the only bad case I had was not in humid, sweaty conditions but on the John Muir Trail. Something about the dryness made the contact between my shorts with my upper thighs more and more sore.

Re cycling, I haven't had any chaffing issues including on my 124 mile ride from Cumberland to Harpers Ferry on the C&O on some very humid days.

Marta
08-21-2008, 20:05
Re chaffing, the only bad case I had was not in humid, sweaty conditions but on the John Muir Trail. Something about the dryness made the contact between my shorts with my upper thighs more and more sore.

I'm not a heavy sweater, but on the JMT the dry air left sand-like salt deposits on my skin. I could feel it on my face.

No chafing issues, though, since I wore long pants and long-sleeved shirt instead of sunscreen.

khanti
08-21-2008, 22:12
I've recently dropped a lot of weight and I no longer chafe from my legs (inner thigh) rubbing together, so for me anyhow, one type of chafing was weight related.

Hammock Hanger
08-21-2008, 22:16
I've recently dropped a lot of weight and I no longer chafe from my legs (inner thigh) rubbing together, so for me anyhow, one type of chafing was weight related.

Congrats, that is always a good thing. :)

ScoutingFamily74
08-21-2008, 23:27

So what do you use to prevent that? It happens to me frequently, I went with band-aids but they didn't last long.

Alligator
08-22-2008, 00:03
Really? I've never had it from cycling. Road or MTB? I'm thinking maybe the upright position of MTB riding would lend itself to chafing.I've never had them bloody, but irrated from road riding a couple of times on the MS 150 and recently even on a shorter 35 mile ride.

bretly
08-23-2008, 03:35
hi,
I am 230 lbs and 6' tall, I'm not fat... though I'm not skinny either. I have a lot of muscle mass on me and am in very good shape. My legs rub together and i get chafing. Both my parents were marathon runners back in the 80's and 90's, they would vaseline the legs, nipples, and armpits before anything over 15 miles, now I hear of this Body Glide stuff, gotta look into it. Marje is very intrigued on my "Cheek" application process, as am I.

Just for reference, my father is 6' 165 lbs, He gets chafing too and he's like a rail. My brother is 5'7" 115 lbs and he gets chafing and he's built like an anorexic teenager. Sweat + Friction = Chafing.
================================================== ======

davison

Maine Drug Addiction (http://www.drugaddiction.net/maine)

vibedog
08-23-2008, 05:42
body glide will keep you from chaffing. look for it at running stores. use it on you legs, hips and any oher points of contact