PDA

View Full Version : No water in Ga

Bare Bear
08-21-2008, 17:37
I just did a short hike from Springer to Woody Gap and there was very little water anywhere. Justus Creek was a slow ditch.......worst I have ever seen it run. Absolutely no water between Justus and Neels Gap I saw some hikers in rough shape from poor planning. The guides may say there is water but that is not always so.

Egads
08-21-2008, 17:41
I passed 4 flowing water sources between Unicoi and Hog Pen just 1.5 weeks ago.

Bulldawg
08-21-2008, 20:29
I passed 4 flowing water sources between Unicoi and Hog Pen just 1.5 weeks ago.

That is one section I've never hiked. I need to get it knocked out this fall. How long did it take you Egads, 4 hours?

FanaticFringer
08-22-2008, 16:55
Anyone know how the spring at the Tray Mtn. shelter is looking?
I've got some time off next week and am thinking of hanging there.

leeki pole
08-22-2008, 17:05
With the remnants of Tropical storm Fay coming through and as slow as she's moving, I don't think water is going to be a problem.

Valentine
08-22-2008, 17:31
I have section hiked from Springer to Wesser, NC over the last 11 months and water has been low and silty most everywhere. However I haven't been without water for more than 5 miles, just don't pass up trickling springs hoping there is something better. Do use a coffee filter over your prefilter. I think I hosed my Hyperfilter by not using one. Can't remember about Tray Mnt.

Egads
08-22-2008, 17:42
Anyone know how the spring at the Tray Mtn. shelter is looking?
I've got some time off next week and am thinking of hanging there.

FF - When I was there July 19, it was a lethargic steam like pissing with an enlarged prostrate.

How is that for a visual?

FanaticFringer
08-22-2008, 18:06
FF - It was a lethargic steam like pissing with an enlarged prostrate when I was there July 19.

How is that for a visual?

Are you speaking from experience?:p

Egads
08-22-2008, 18:53
FF - When I was there July 19, it was a lethargic steam like pissing with an enlarged prostrate.

Perhaps this is written more clearly. And NO.

Bulldawg
08-22-2008, 19:53
With the remnants of Tropical storm Fay coming through and as slow as she's moving, I don't think water is going to be a problem.

Latest forecasts have Fay staying south of Atlanta. But I did do a rain dance tonight nonetheless.

Bare Bear
08-24-2008, 23:16
Spoke to a friend in Ellijay (20 miles west of Springer) and no rain still as of this afternoon.......................still very dry all over the southern Appalachians.

Blue Wolf
08-24-2008, 23:51
Very dry hiking today in the Smokey's.............

Pokey2006
08-25-2008, 03:55
I think this summer New England stole all your rain...Wish we could share some of it with you folks down there.

highway
08-25-2008, 05:27
I wish we could have given you some of ours...~ 30 inches a few days ago...most in one day

Speer Carrier
08-25-2008, 06:13
The North Georgia mountains will get plenty of rain in the next few days. Should make things better. It had been bad, however. My maintenance section between Cut Locust gap and Unicoi Gap had absolutely no water last week, and I know some springs that are not listed on any map.

Sailor (The other one)
08-25-2008, 10:32
Mudpie and I have planned a trip in October walking from Three Forks to Tray Gap. Last October we started at Amicola and walked to Stover Creek, which had the first water in over 11 miles, making it difficult for us slow hikers. I'm thinking that with the water situation bad in Ga now, we should have a back up plan in case the section we are planning on is dry. We'll be driving up from Florida. Any suggestions for the southern most section that will more than likely have water in October?

Summit
08-25-2008, 12:37
The Standing Indian area (Nantahala National Forest) is very nice and just across the GA border in NC. Search "Standing Indian" for lots of threads and info on it. Many loop hike possibilities in and out of Standing Indian Campground, making transportation easy. It's possible to do a 26-mile loop from one vehicle back to same vehicle without any back tracking, and about 20 of those miles is AT!

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2008, 12:43
You guys that live in Georgia, how accurate is this link?
https://01ef580.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=15

Note: Last updated 7-20-08

Valentine
08-25-2008, 14:20
It is accurate as a "yes" or "no" there is water present but it is still low and silty.
It comes from hikers word of mouth of course.

max patch
08-25-2008, 14:35
This is from the GATC. This is current info as of last Friday.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/water_resources.html

troglobil
08-25-2008, 16:13
where is the link on the GATC page for that info? I can't find it.

max patch
08-25-2008, 16:17
where is the link on the GATC page for that info? I can't find it.

I couldn't find it last week either when I was looking for it.

Its on the home page, near the bottom, in red.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/index.html

Gaiter
08-25-2008, 16:26
water in ga today, but u gotta catch it

troglobil
08-25-2008, 16:40
ok, thanks

Lead Dog
08-25-2008, 16:44
We camped there this May. Shelter is in good condition with water source behind it. Runs from pipe in the mtn. Not sure about flow this time of year but was good in the spring. Great camping spots before the shelter with nice views out. Catch the sunrise/sunsets.

simplysql
08-30-2008, 20:23
we've had some serious rain this week - from Fay - I can't imagine that there would be problems with water along the AT in GA.

Sir-P-Alot
08-30-2008, 20:53
I just did a short hike from Springer to Woody Gap and there was very little water anywhere. Justus Creek was a slow ditch.......worst I have ever seen it run. Absolutely no water between Justus and Neels Gap I saw some hikers in rough shape from poor planning. The guides may say there is water but that is not always so.

I don't know how that can be. I did the same section on the weekend of the 15th and there was water at Stover Creek, Three Forks, Long Creek Falls, Hawk Mtn., the two streams were flowing well between Hawk and Gooch Gap Shelter, the spring at the Gooch Gap Shelter was flowing, and there was water at FS 42 and Gooch Gap.

SawnieRobertson
08-31-2008, 19:47
Not to worry. Look at the projected path for TS Hannah. She's a-turning and looks to be planning to deliver her blessings to AT vicinities by Friday.--Kinnickinic

boarstone
08-31-2008, 20:37
Not to worry. Look at the projected path for TS Hannah. She's a-turning and looks to be planning to deliver her blessings to AT vicinities by Friday.--Kinnickinic

You guys are sure to get all the water one could care for,... I hope so- for the water deprevation you are currently experiencing....