PDA

View Full Version : No/Low water north of Hot Springs

Tennessee Viking
08-21-2008, 21:04
I drove up to Hurricane Gap today & hiked up to Rich Mtn firetower. There are a few good blackberry bushes, but ultimately no water on the top. The springs above Hurricane Gap and near the firetower trail were bone dry.

I ran into a couple sectioners coming from Hot Springs at the campsite on top. They reported that only the pond near Mill Ridge was the only source north of Hot Springs.

On the way back, I checked the water at the old campground and Paint Creek Campground, both were very low.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2008, 21:15
I drove up to Hurricane Gap today & hiked up to Rich Mtn firetower. There are a few good blackberry bushes, but ultimately no water on the top. The springs above Hurricane Gap and near the firetower trail were bone dry.

I ran into a couple sectioners coming from Hot Springs at the campsite on top. They reported that only the pond near Mill Ridge was the only source north of Hot Springs.

On the way back, I checked the water at the old campground and Paint Creek Campground, both were very low.

given the time of year and the past 2 years of drought, this is pretty normal. never count on water sources and shelters. just walk

and it's funny, a lot of folks PM me about this area, i tell 'em water is LOW. they don't listen then post a sniviling report later on. oh well

Kirby
08-21-2008, 21:26
When I rolled through in March it was also very dry on each side of Hot Springs, I told Elmer and he relayed the message to Standing Bear to inform thru hikers about the water situation.

Kirby