PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Fill

JumpInTheLake
08-21-2008, 22:43
I'm looking at Kelty's Foraker and Light Year sleeping bags. The 20 degree and the 0 degree bags in each model have the same fill. What's up with that?

The Foraker claims to have 750 units of fill for both bags, and the Light Year claims to have 650 units for both bags.

Surely there is a difference. What is it though?

How are folks liking these bags?

thanks

Alligator
08-21-2008, 23:11
The fill rating (750 and 650) refers to the amount of volume in cubic inches that one ounce of down will loft to. The bags should have different weights of fill in each. That is, the 0 degree Foraker will have more fill by weight than the 15 degree Foraker.

JumpInTheLake
08-22-2008, 04:03
Should I interpret that as meaning the 750 fill is more desirable than the 650 fill?

I went to Kelty's site, and I read the specs well. You are correct. The bags rated for colder conditions have more fill. And that must be why the Foraker costs much more. I had no idea what the fill numbers really meant. Now I can make some good comparisons.

Armed with my new knowledge I'm leaning toward the 0 degree long Foraker. It will be a three season bag - and summer will not be one of them. Does anybody have experience with this bag? It sure looks like a nice one.

Thanks

Hoop
08-22-2008, 07:22
Don't know about that bag but check the zipper length - full, half or third - before you buy so you won't be surprised. For example, a full-lenght can open up if temps are milder but you might feel trapped in a third or half.

rafe
08-22-2008, 09:15
Should I interpret that as meaning the 750 fill is more desirable than the 650 fill?

Yes. The higher the number, the better the fill... More (better) insulation for a given weight of fill. It's all about the loft. If you can get more loft with less weight, that's a good thing.

Hooch
08-22-2008, 09:33
Yup. More loft = more warmth. I have a hammock underquilt and top quilt that are filled with 900 fill power goose down. Good stuff and worth every single penny I paid for them and then some. :banana

BookBurner
08-22-2008, 09:57
No first hand experience. That being said, consider that the Foraker is a heavy bag (3 lbs, 7 0z.) and expensive ($400) compared to other options. You could do much better in both categories if weight and money are concerns.

mister krabs
08-22-2008, 10:12
Google shopping is your friend. They're both pretty heavy (all things considered), but can be had cheap.
Lightyear 15 down is available at campmor for 129$

http://www.google.com/products?q=kelty+foraker&oe=utf-8&scoring=p

http://www.google.com/products?q=kelty+light+year+bag&btnG=Search+Products&show=dd

JumpInTheLake
08-22-2008, 21:53
Thanks everybody. This bag will probably only be used in the winter. I hate to be cold all night. It ruins the trip. I'm a big guy, and in good condition, and if I can keep the big three under five pounds each I'll be satisfied. My tent is under five pounds, and my pack is five or six, so I'm ok with the sleeping bag weight - it's under four pounds. I'd rather be comfortable at night and carry an extra pound or two. I usually head out well prepared around forty pounds. I've never had a down bag.

Has anyone ever dealt with SunnySports.com? They have the best price on a bag that I want to purchase for my wife. It's a women's 0 degree LiteYear by Kelty. She's cold natured, and if she's not happy, well you know.......

Alligator
08-22-2008, 22:03
There are a lot of people on this site with solid experience with other down bags. You might want to search some other threads to get an idea of some other manufacturers besides Kelty. Just a tip before you buy, especially since you were considering an expensive bag.

JumpInTheLake
08-22-2008, 22:24
There are a lot of people on this site with solid experience with other down bags. You might want to search some other threads to get an idea of some other manufacturers besides Kelty. Just a tip before you buy, especially since you were considering an expensive bag.

I have been doing exactly that. I have also been to other manufacturers sites, and the Kelty bags look like great products. Is there something I should know?

What I'm noticing from the competition is 550 fill with comparable or less price, or 800 fill with much higher prices. Or the bags are just bare bones, and they don't look like they would seal out drafts well.

I'm eager to hear anyone's opinion.

Hoop
08-22-2008, 23:05
Western Mountaineering's website is very informative about what makes a good bag good; it's not just a pitch for their brand because loft, fill, etc., applies to any bag.