PDA

View Full Version : Leki Super Makalu problems?

88BlueGT
08-22-2008, 00:00
I am ready to buy my first set of trekking poles and was looking at the leki super makalu's. From what I can see I like them but I have been doing some research on them and have read numerous times about them unlocking when their obviously not supposed to. Are these reviews old? have they fixed this problem? Can anyone suggest anything different? I have a budget of absolutely no more than 150. Thanks.

Dan

SmokeHouse
08-22-2008, 00:54
I bought the LEKI Makalu Tour AS Trekking Poles a few years ago and they gave me no problems. Have many miles on them...
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___32054

88BlueGT
08-22-2008, 01:04
they look nice but I'm definitely looking for something with a cork handle. Does anyone know if the super makalus have a lockout for the spring?

Roland
08-22-2008, 04:48
~ Does anyone know if the super makalus have a lockout for the spring?

Yes....

fehchet
08-22-2008, 04:56
Great poles. My first pair lasted for ten years and many miles with a free mid-shaft replacement about two years ago. Then my home burned to the ground 3 weeks ago and they along with everything else were destroyed. I have a new pair now and they seem great with the spring portion now located inside the bottom shaft. I've had them out for a couple of spins with many smiles. I plan a 15 miler on the Bruce Trail, Caledon Hills, Ontario this morning. Certainly a good buy and under the $150 limit you have set.

MOWGLI
08-22-2008, 07:46
I am ready to buy my first set of trekking poles and was looking at the leki super makalu's. From what I can see I like them but I have been doing some research on them and have read numerous times about them unlocking when their obviously not supposed to. Are these reviews old? have they fixed this problem? Can anyone suggest anything different? I have a budget of absolutely no more than 150. Thanks.

Dan

Buy your poles from American Hiking Society and you'll save some serious $$$.
The $150 poles are $85.

https://americanhiking.org/stAHSGear.aspx

Tagless
08-22-2008, 08:35
I have been doing some research on them and have read numerous times about them unlocking when their obviously not supposed to.

I've been using mine for one year and haven't had this problem occur. Must be old news.

Marta
08-22-2008, 08:37
I've been using the same pair since early 2005. I check their tightness at least once a day, and haven't had any serious problems.

buz
08-22-2008, 09:19
I have these as well. Sometimes when I change the length, one pole or the other will not relock. Worst case is I have to disassemble and move the locking widget (technical term lol) around and that is it, relocks wherever I want it. Just an irritator, never takes more than a minute to fix, but doesn't always work right the first time. Otherwise, I like the poles and the cork grips are great.

Cuffs
08-22-2008, 09:27
Ive never had a problem with mine, 3 years old now... I check that they are tight each morning before heading out. I got the Cork with the Positive Angle grip, thats the best!

CBSSTony
08-22-2008, 10:39
I have these also, the abuse I put these through, you wouldn't imagine. They have been lost in a water fall for 2 weeks. I took my son back with me and he managed to find them. They needed some cleaning and lubing, but still work just fine. Lucky for me, I bought mine with the rubber handles or the cork would have been beaten off by the water.

KG4FAM
08-22-2008, 10:42
I found one in the hikerbox in the AT Lodge a couple of years back that looked like it had been through thousands of miles. The anti shock was limp, but the pole never collapsed and the cork-latex grip feels great

bigcranky
08-22-2008, 17:26
Interestingly enough, while I have never had my Leki's loosen on their own, my daughter has this happen a couple of times an hour on the trail. Very annoying. So one day we traded poles -- she got my Super Makalus and I got her Ultralite Ti's -- and she had the same problem, only with *my* poles. When I used her poles, they stayed locked nice and tight.

So I guess it just happens to certain people. I love my Super Makalus.

gravityman
08-22-2008, 18:08
Great poles. My first pair lasted for ten years and many miles with a free mid-shaft replacement about two years ago. Then my home burned to the ground 3 weeks ago and they along with everything else were destroyed. I have a new pair now and they seem great with the spring portion now located inside the bottom shaft. I've had them out for a couple of spins with many smiles. I plan a 15 miler on the Bruce Trail, Caledon Hills, Ontario this morning. Certainly a good buy and under the $150 limit you have set.

Hardcore! I don't know that hiking poles would be purchased within 3 weeks of my house burning down.

Sorry about the house. Total stinker!

fehchet
08-23-2008, 05:08
Because I'm visually impared, I can't hike without poles. My daughter and her husband sent them to me. Maybe hardcore, but it is time to bounce back, find a new job, and move forward with a smile on my face because the Lord is with me.

warren doyle
08-23-2008, 06:56
I have done of these problems with my $1 ski pole purchased at a thrift store. Reuse and recycle.

Egads
08-23-2008, 08:03
I've had no problems with mine, but now carry single piece CF poles. Leki has a lifetime warranty so they're good stuff

The Old Fhart
08-23-2008, 08:10
I've hiked with one Leki Super Makalu pole for years. It has taken a lot of abuse (broken tip, bent section, etc.) but I've had the reps at Trail Days repair it in 2004 and 2008. If the pole is starting to slip, try taking it apart and cleaning the plastic locking mechanism and the inside of the section where it locks against the section's wall. Do not put any oil or grease on this piece or it will slip!

mtnkngxt
08-23-2008, 11:47
I don't have the supers, but I do have the Makalu Tours and I love them. Help my weezy uncoordinated self up and going.

smaaax
08-23-2008, 12:36
Have you tried using hiking poles with the shock absorbers? They annoy me, but everyone is different. Every pole is different. My right pole comes unlocked a couple times a day, and my left rarely does. Annoying.

88BlueGT
08-24-2008, 20:56
Did leki just come out with a new version of the super makalu's for 08 because I just seen an ad for them and it said... lockout? not necessary! our spring only bla bla bla bla bla 10mm.

Problem is, I DEFINITELY want a lockout because I have a feeling i dont like the springs. I've been hiking w a bamboo stick for a while and love it but I want to move to something a little better/comfortable. So is there a new design?

88BlueGT
08-24-2008, 21:01
i read this on campmor's website. by the way, the reason I was thinking they have a revised model or something is because if you look at the top of the screen where the item description is it says -2008 next to it.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27439

fehchet
08-25-2008, 04:28
Yes, the 2008 version is totally set up differently. The spring action now located in the bottom shaft only moves 5cm. I like them.

Lilred
08-25-2008, 08:11
I've had mine slip a couple of times, but only due to operator error. Didn't tighten them down enough. I use my poles for my tent and am always adjusting the heights. Leki is an excellent choice. They guarantee the poles for life. Great customer service. They will fix or replace your poles for free, no questions asked. Anytime, anywhere.

88BlueGT
08-25-2008, 13:00
Yes, the 2008 version is totally set up differently. The spring action now located in the bottom shaft only moves 5cm. I like them.

so they have no lockout?

NICKTHEGREEK
08-25-2008, 15:18

Dan
If you can twist open a new jar of peanut butter then you have sufficient strength to adequately lock a set of lekis.

fehchet
08-25-2008, 15:27
No lock out for the spring action. Actually, the spring action is so slight you don't really notice the effect. Way way better than the big spring in the older version.

88BlueGT
08-26-2008, 00:18
Hey I went out today and got the new 08 Leki Super Makalu's. i like them alot! I'm going out on a 4 day trip this weekend so I'll see how the perform :)

BTW, I got them at EMS and they recommended me to buy the round rubber tips (since I do most of my hiking in jersey and its really rocky). Anyway, they are made by Kompredell and they dont seem to fit.... is this cause they are komperdell or because im doing somethin wrong...

NICKTHEGREEK
08-26-2008, 06:48
Hey I went out today and got the new 08 Leki Super Makalu's. i like them alot! I'm going out on a 4 day trip this weekend so I'll see how the perform :)

BTW, I got them at EMS and they recommended me to buy the round rubber tips (since I do most of my hiking in jersey and its really rocky). Anyway, they are made by Kompredell and they dont seem to fit.... is this cause they are komperdell or because im doing somethin wrong...
My wife uses Lekis and I use Komperdells. The rubber pole tips are different, but we are able to interchange them to the point I'm no longer sure which caps go with what pole. One type is a bit harder to get on the pole end. Push it on as far as you comfortably can then bag the pole end onto a hard surface to seat them further. We use the caps for rail trail (paved) walks and take them off for all other surfaces including rock.

Wake
08-26-2008, 09:19
I haven't had any problems with mine. Great poles!

88BlueGT
08-26-2008, 10:46
My wife uses Lekis and I use Komperdells. The rubber pole tips are different, but we are able to interchange them to the point I'm no longer sure which caps go with what pole. One type is a bit harder to get on the pole end. Push it on as far as you comfortably can then bag the pole end onto a hard surface to seat them further. We use the caps for rail trail (paved) walks and take them off for all other surfaces including rock.

yea i definitely cannot get them on by hand... havent tried banging them on yet...

NICKTHEGREEK
08-26-2008, 16:38
yea i definitely cannot get them on by hand... havent tried banging them on yet...
EMS may have suggested the wrong one. Take 'em back.