PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you're not hiking?

angewrite
08-22-2008, 09:15
I believe we would all agree that most hikers have adventurous spirits. That leaves me wondering what other adventures my fellow hikers have embarked on and if there are other exciting activities they pursue.

So, what do you do when you're not hiking?

CaptainScarlet
08-22-2008, 09:20
Dreaming.

fiddlehead
08-22-2008, 09:28
Spending too much time on the computer.
But, i also: rock climb, jog, play music (professionally), lately been working as a movie extra for a Bollywood flick, play with my 3 year old son, and hike. (when the weather and my schedule suits)

Old Hillwalker
08-22-2008, 09:35
Goin to the beach, trailwork, AT Boundary work, cruisin in my old Porsche, hand splittin firewood, readin and not watchin TV (don't have none anyway). Watchin the sun come up listenin to Reggae (Three Little Birds) n' just enjoyin life without workin for a paycheck.

An lookin for a woman who wants to do the same:D

IceAge
08-22-2008, 09:44
I have a small farm where I raise a couple of pigs, a handful of chickens and a smattering of turkeys and ducks, and tend a relatively large garden. I play the banjo(badly), make the best beer you've ever tasted, and make the worst wine you've ever tasted. I hunt deer, pheasant, and ducks in the fall, and rabbits in the winter.

And when I'm not doing any of the above, or working, I hike!

mrc237
08-22-2008, 09:50
Doing my job: Fresh Air Inspector! :D

Lyle
08-22-2008, 09:51
Very active with North Country Trail, both locally and nationally; Studying and practising alternative/natural building techniques such as Straw Bale and Cordwood Masonry (in anticipation of building my new home); Gardening; Instructor/Coordinator for EMS Education Courses.

That's the bulk of my major interests and keeps me fairly busy.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2008, 09:51
quality control at Dot's

mrc237
08-22-2008, 09:52
However I'd like to try to make my own beer. Got any tips Ice Age?

mrc237
08-22-2008, 09:54
quality control at Dot's

Mans work indeed!!!!:D I applied for that job at Farrell's but was told theres a long long wait list!

Blissful
08-22-2008, 09:54
Read. Write. Run. Cook and clean. Internet. :)

Tin Man
08-22-2008, 09:58
My other adventure sport is boating - all kinds and sizes. My water trail name is Captain.

mister krabs
08-22-2008, 10:03
I've got two small kids, a house and a full time+ job. That takes up 98% of my time, but the other two percent goes to being outdoors, in the woods or on the water in my sailboat, canoe or kayak.

IceAge
08-22-2008, 10:08
However I'd like to try to make my own beer. Got any tips Ice Age?

I have more tips than you can imagine, I'd be happy to help any way I can.

In line with Lone Wolf's post, no fooling, my previous job was Quality Assurance Supervisor for a large midwestern regional brewery.

IceAge
08-22-2008, 10:12
Hey Lyle, I have an interest in Straw bale construction and cordwood masonry as well. I'd like to build a little guest cabin to rent out as a "green" B&B on my farm.

When you decide to build, let me know and I'll come lend a hand!

hoyawolf
08-22-2008, 10:40
fly-fish, ultra-running, cycling, climbing, and introducing my kids to the outdoors one small six and four year old step at a time

i do less trips these days (most of them are 1-2 nights) and more family camping/bike touring trips. with family camping we usualy day hike, rock climb, fly fish, bike, etc

however, i have a great spouse and still get out enough to fish,climb during the month sans kinder - she just wants her turn too!

Lone Wolf
08-22-2008, 10:42
fly-fish, ultra-running, cycling, climbing, and introducing my kids to the outdoors one small six and four year old step at a time

i do less trips these days (most of them are 1-2 nights) and more family camping/bike touring trips. with family camping we usualy day hike, rock climb, fly fish, bike, etc

however, i have a great spouse and still get out enough to fish,climb during the month sans kinder - she just wants her turn too!

what ultras have you run?

Yukon
08-22-2008, 11:18
Motocross racing on my Honda CRF450R, mountain biking with my Giant Yukon, snowboarding on my GNU CHB (ex-instructor), skiing, snowmobiling with the Ski-DOO MXZX800, side job in the winter as a Groomer Operator at the local ski area (Pisten Bully), canoeing, kayaking (used to be a guide), tubing on the river, swimming as much as possible in the hot summer days, cafe racer street bikes (Suzuki GSXR 750 and Suzuki GSXR 600), logging off and maintaining the hillside for firewood to help out my father (thanks for working hard your whole life to raise me right Dad, I love ya), spending time with my huge family, lots of aunts and uncles and what not, doing ANYTHING with the love of my life who participates in EVERYTHING I have already listed, she is the BEST :)

I also play Guitar, drums, and some Bass, like to mess around with photoshop and the camera....I could go on for a long time about what I love to do....live life to the FULLEST!!!

adventurousmtnlvr
08-22-2008, 11:29
I roller skate (inside and outside .. all day trips sometimes), hike, ballroom dance, free style dance, ride rollercoasters at Six Flags!!! ... have a HUGE desire to bungee jump or parachute!!! Thrill seeker in general I suppose. The riskier the more fun!

Mags
08-22-2008, 11:30
Ski tour....

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16646&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4
(http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=16646&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4)

angewrite
08-22-2008, 11:44
I roller skate (inside and outside .. all day trips sometimes), hike, ballroom dance, free style dance, ride rollercoasters at Six Flags!!! ... have a HUGE desire to bungee jump or parachute!!! Thrill seeker in general I suppose. The riskier the more fun!

I can understand that. I'm skydiving tomorrow. 14,000ft, free fall, not attached to anyone and I have to pull my own cord.

Summit
08-22-2008, 12:27
Reading, Internet-Computeer, helping around the house, thinking about hiking! :)

HikerRanky
08-22-2008, 12:34
Let's see.... rollerskating, teaching scuba diving classes, rappelling, and some canoeing....

the goat
08-22-2008, 14:34
i trail run often, hike a little, white water raft a little.....but the most adventurous thing i do is hang out in washington dc on weekends after dark!:eek:

rafe
08-22-2008, 14:41
Nothing too adventurous these days. Skiing, bicycling... Maybe some sailing again if I took the trouble to get my Hobie or windsurfer back in order. I'm thinking of maybe buying cheap beginner kayaks for myself and my wife. We've done that a few times and mostly enjoyed it.

RiverWarriorPJ
08-22-2008, 14:42
Mans work indeed!!!!:D I applied for that job at Farrell's but was told theres a long long wait list!

Farrells in Bklyn..??..:eek:..

hoyawolf
08-22-2008, 15:08
lw,

otscher and swiss alpine post.

you?

Ghosthiker
08-22-2008, 15:16
Well, besides work (is that 4 letter word banned here?) I golf and do a little ghost hunting.

Valentine
08-22-2008, 15:33
Planning my next hiking trip, photographing, mushroom indentifying, making gear or otherwise trying to distract myself from the work I have to do.

Just Plain Jim
08-22-2008, 16:14
I like to work out, I like to jog, I like to fish, I like to dream about my next hike.:banana

ki0eh
08-22-2008, 17:04
Too much dreaming about hiking online and off. A lot of free time building and mapping the GET. As for the rest of the time my 5yo daughter says I work with potties and mommy works with chocolate. Usually people want to hear more about what my wife does as a result.

superman
08-22-2008, 17:12
Winter and I work on this old house. She mostly does "heavy looking on" but if I fall on my head she's supposed to call 911. I just hope she doesn't try to do mouth to mouth...again....although.:)

The Solemates
08-22-2008, 17:23
work 50-60 hrs a week
take care of 5.5 acres
remodel houses
basketball 2x week
softball 1x week
bible study 4x week
travel 2.5x month
read read read
doctoral candidate
chase my daughter around and tickle her a lot

...dont sleep...thats for sure!

Cookerhiker
08-22-2008, 17:27
Planning trips (and taking them), reading, internet (too much), trail maintenance, visiting my GF, baking, and cycling the Great Allegheny Passage (http://www.atatrail.org).

The Solemates
08-22-2008, 17:32
we're getting the highest point in every state as well....did Idaho this past weekend....

smokymtnsteve
08-22-2008, 17:37
we're getting the highest point in every state as well....did Idaho this past weekend....

u must B super man:banana

The Solemates
08-22-2008, 17:37
u must B super man:banana

i wish i could have flown off borah...it killed my knees coming down...

cowboy nichols
08-22-2008, 18:49
Home now trying to catch up as I've been away since Feb. I'm suppose to be retired but noone told my family that . I am now planning to hike after Christmas.Hopfully I'll escape before anyone knows I'm gone. And no I'm not leaving an itinerary.

Bear Cables
08-23-2008, 16:08
When I'm not teaching physical education to 700 kids during the week...tailgating parties for the Saints and #1 LSU Tigers! canoe, snow ski once a year ( we are from Louisiana...) ride my bike, plan hikes and play as much golf as I can!

Bearpaw
08-23-2008, 16:14
Teaching Nashville's juvenile delinquents, selling packs and boots at REI, working out, building new sections of the Cumberland Trail, reading, watching movies, hanging with freakish friends at a Goth Club, watching wrestling and the History Channel, self-medicating, the list goes on depending on available time and inclination.

Bearpaw
08-23-2008, 16:16
work 50-60 hrs a week
take care of 5.5 acres
remodel houses
basketball 2x week
softball 1x week
bible study 4x week
travel 2.5x month
read read read
doctoral candidate
chase my daughter around and tickle her a lot

...dont sleep...thats for sure!

All that AND your doctorate? I'm glad I don't feel your pain on that one. Best of luck.

modiyooch
08-23-2008, 17:00
work hard; play hard. run. plan my next hiking trip.

Mrs Baggins
08-23-2008, 17:23
Well, let's see.............first I THINK about hiking all the time. I read A LOT, cruise the internet (mostly about hiking, travel, Amazon, ebay, news), day hikes on the weekend when there's time, plan trips (leaving for Scotland on the 28th), and then plan more trips (booked for Turkey next May), cook, try to figure out how to escape this hell hole town permanently............

warren doyle
08-23-2008, 17:39
College teaching and dancing.

superman
08-23-2008, 20:08
Winter and I work on this old house. She mostly does "heavy looking on" but if I fall on my head she's supposed to call 911. I just hope she doesn't try to do mouth to mouth...again....although.:)

Did I say retired?:)

Kerosene
08-24-2008, 12:31
So, what do you do when you're not hiking?I'm a CIO for the leading tele-radiology company, which keeps me traveling across the northern tier of the U.S. to visit various offices. I work out (when I'm not injured :o) so I can keep playing soccer (although I quit playing against the youngsters two years ago). I screw around on the piano to relax, sing in choral groups every so often, read a bunch, and play the weekend warrior when I'm not working. I take a week a year to hike a section, usually by myself.

BigBlue
08-24-2008, 12:36
Surfimg and sailing.

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2008, 12:55
Golf in the summer and skiing in the winter - and going back to college full time this fall at age 52. *sigh* I'm older than most of the professors :eek:

RockDoc
08-24-2008, 19:57
professionally making violins
ultrarunning with a passion (see www.marathonmaniacs.com (http://www.marathonmaniacs.com) no. 247)
earned the PhD years ago...

(no, I'm not an overachiever :D )

I will finish the AT when I get time...... really!

Planning an exotic hike. Tramping in New Zealand, Feb-March 09

modiyooch
08-24-2008, 20:37
I'm in denial of the big 50.

bikerscars
08-24-2008, 20:57
working way too much
weekends with my 3 kids trying to raise 'em right
reading
running
swimming
fishing
motorcycle touring
dreaming

superman
08-24-2008, 21:22
I'm in denial of the big 50.

Don't worry...it won't happen to you...if there's a bus with your name on it. LMAO

mtnkngxt
08-24-2008, 21:58
Finishing out my Bachelors Degree full time. Plus looking for a full time job in the middle of nowhere VA so that I can fund my new gear and 2010 Thru and possible Triple Crown though not at any breakneck speeds.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2008, 22:19
planning the next hike

Bare Bear
08-24-2008, 23:08
Why would you ask such a personal question?

Wilson
08-25-2008, 00:03
Playing with my kids mostly...In Sept, bowhunting some. Later in the winter, build another wooden canoe. Flyfishing in the spring.

Odd Thomas
08-25-2008, 00:16
I believe we would all agree that most hikers have adventurous spirits. That leaves me wondering what other adventures my fellow hikers have embarked on and if there are other exciting activities they pursue.

Adventurous? Not me. I just hike to get away from society when hobbies of the month or projects aren't holding my interest.

Right now I'm working on a 199 square foot mini house design project. (199 square feet because 200 is the size that triggers needing a building permit in many places.) I can't seem to beat this guy's design though, so I might abandon it and just build his. (http://tinypic.com/ao8j0m.png)

After that I'm setting up a saltwater aquarium, then I'm going to set up a hydro system, then I'm going to build an HO scale model of some as yet undecided northeastern railroad system. By that time Starcraft2 should be released and a bunch of hobbies will sit temporarily abandoned for a while. :p

Lilred
08-25-2008, 00:24
I like to travel, whitewater rafting, canoeing, I was an avid snow and water skiier. Planning a trip to Michigan's U.P. to catch the color this fall. Plan on hiking a little, canoeing a little and biking around Mackinac Island.

atraildreamer
08-25-2008, 12:48
Designing, building, testing ( and occasionally bliowing up :eek:) soda can stoves!:D:banana

sweetpeastu
08-25-2008, 13:11
normally dreaming about hiking and all the cool places to hike that i've never visited. If not that, than I'm fishing or working or reading...same stuff everyone else normally does :)

Short Term
08-25-2008, 13:28
Dreaming about the next trip, attending music festivals (if time and $ allow), working out, dreaming about my thru-hike in 2014 and for the next several weeks- planning my wedding! :)

88BlueGT
08-25-2008, 13:43
working on my mustang, working, going to school, frisbee, b ball, etc.

MerlinKlein
08-25-2008, 23:32
When not studying for my CCIE cert I am thinking about the trail.
One day, hopefully soon!

Furlough
08-26-2008, 15:31

Slugging into and out of the Pentagon for my work week. Adventure of a whole other sort.

Furlough

Mr HaHa
08-26-2008, 16:06
I oversee all lethal injections administered in the state of Massachusetts. As you can imagine, that keeps me pretty busy! I use what little spare time I have diving in Lake Erie searching for the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

wcgornto
08-26-2008, 16:37
wcgornto.blogspot.com

Footslogger
08-26-2008, 16:51
Recuperating from my dance with the devil this past March ...and thinking positive thoughts about being able to get back into backpacking and scuba diving.

'Slogger

muppet
08-26-2008, 18:35
i continue to put off a career even though i graduated 4 years ago. but my general pattern is:

retail management > take off until i go broke again > retail management > take off until i go broke again.

buff_jeff
08-26-2008, 18:41
plan my next trip out

oh, and college student.

Lone Wolf
08-26-2008, 18:43
quality control at Dot's...

... and i started driving for the Damascus Volunteer Rescue Squad this week

mtnkngxt
08-26-2008, 19:41
Getting ready to sell my soul to Sykes Inc., so that I can afford my Thru Hike.

Kirby
08-26-2008, 20:43
College visits, college applications, navigation of the financial aid system, senior year of high school.

Also thinking about the Gathering in the fall, which I am trying to attend.

Kirby

hoyawolf
08-27-2008, 09:16
furlough, i work at the pentagon too

clicker
08-27-2008, 12:40
Work in a dog boarding facility, rock climb, go to college for 2nd degree, work on the house, play with my dog, dream about anything and everything.

leeki pole
08-27-2008, 12:54
Work two retrievers, a wonderful Lab and a super Flat Coated, work (ugh) so I can try to pay for my two great daughters to get a college education. Cut grass on 5 acres.
But my hiking time is coming.

Furlough
08-27-2008, 14:59
furlough, i work at the pentagon too

hoyawolf,
I retire from the Army after 23 years service on the 31st of this month and go back to work in the Pentagon as a DAC the first week of Sep.

hoyawolf
08-28-2008, 09:36
furlough, i sent you an email.

John B
08-28-2008, 09:49
Live vicariously through Trailjournals; log in here a million times a week; run 20-25 miles a week to try to avoid resembling a lard bucket; count the days until my next hike (which is Oct 23, exactly 56 days from today)...

Hikes in Rain
08-28-2008, 19:57
I have a small farm where I raise a couple of pigs, a handful of chickens and a smattering of turkeys and ducks, and tend a relatively large garden. I play the banjo(badly), make the best beer you've ever tasted, and make the worst wine you've ever tasted. I hunt deer, pheasant, and ducks in the fall, and rabbits in the winter.

And when I'm not doing any of the above, or working, I hike!

You gotta have that backwards. I say that, having never made wine, but having made much mead and beer. And my Strong Golden Belgian did win third place in a strong ale category beer contest some time back. Meads (and I presume wines, by extrapolation) are pretty easy. One of my Tupelo meads once got 42 out of 45 points in contest....and didn't even place! Good beer? That;s hard work! But worth every minute.

We should get together sometime to compare notes.....

Lellers
08-28-2008, 21:09
Ugh, work. Gotta do that with two kids in college. Recreational kayaking (love the Pine Barrens!), sew, make large quantities of Italian food to feed to whoever stops by. The food thing is becoming a problem. I've apparently developed TMJ and I can't chew the lovely full-bodied bread that I like to bake. I've lost 15 pounds in the last two weeks. (1 of those was spent on the trail, however.) I'm really bummed about that. And I can't eat hoagies, steak sandwiches or soft pretzels.

CaptChaos
08-29-2008, 08:40
Working most of the time and trying to keep myself in the Automotive Industry. Most of the time I am an EDI Coordinator but I am also a Chrysler Business Project Manager.

Most of the time now during the Summer my wife and I spend the weekends on our small houseboat. During the Winter I read Sci-FI and keep working on my own book that I want to publish. But I am always thinking of my trip in the Smokies and how I can get down there to live or just backpack.