PDA

View Full Version : AT Hiker in Iditarod Dogsled Race

Dances with Mice
03-08-2004, 16:49
Karen Land of Indianapolis. Right now she's in 40th place out of 87 entrants, ahead of some veteran racers.

http://www.iditarod.com/landkaren.shtml

The Iditarod race is about 1000 miles long, she should finish in less than 2 weeks. And she won't have a single person ask why she brought her dogs on the Trail.

"Karen also enjoys backpacking, and in 1997 she spent six months hiking the Appalachian Trail with her best friend, her dog Kirby. “Kirby is why I am a musher,” says Karen. “I figured if I could have such a bond with one special dog, it would be great to explore the wilderness with 16.”

Peaks
03-08-2004, 17:10
I'll bet that was one dog that was in good shape for the trail.

steve hiker
03-09-2004, 21:03
58th now. Looks like she's at Rohn checkpoint.

I highly recommend the book "Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod," by Gary Paulsen.

gravityman
03-10-2004, 11:43
I'll bet that was one dog that was in good shape for the trail.

What? Dogs can't possible hangle the rigers of hiking the AT! At least that's what I have heard over and over and over and... sigh...

Anyway, very cool that an AT hiker turned into a sledder. Tough stuff!

Gravity man

Blue Jay
03-10-2004, 12:00
What? Dogs can't possible hangle the rigers of hiking the AT! At least that's what I have heard over and over and over and... sigh...

They don't hangle the Iditarod well either. Several are severly injured and most years a few die. It's all kept under wraps, which isn't hard since there are so many of them and it happens miles from anywhere. But then again they're just dogs, who cares.

gravityman
03-10-2004, 12:31
They don't hangle the Iditarod well either. Several are severly injured and most years a few die. It's all kept under wraps, which isn't hard since there are so many of them and it happens miles from anywhere. But then again they're just dogs, who cares.

Yeah, people die doing the same thing. The Iditarod is to dogs as ultrarunning is to humans. Was just reading an article in the Boulder Daily Camera about a guy that died a few days after a 48 hourer. Basically, the runners see how many miles they can run in 48 hours. The record is something like 220 miles. The person died of pnemonia or something similar. The iditarod is a hell of a lot harder than hiking the at. Well, at least for normal hiking, not speed record setting...

Gravity Man

Blue Jay
03-10-2004, 13:37
The human who over exerts has options. No one, has tied them to a sled. Imagine a creature who trusts absolutely. Who is placed in an extreme environment, with no way to communicate hunger, thirst, pain or cold. That creature is then run into the ground (ice). That, my friends is the Iditarod.

gravityman
03-10-2004, 13:56
That was the interesting thing about this person that died. The family is alleging that he was part of a "running cult" that brainwashed him into ultrarunning with a fanatical religious-like culture. Apparently the guy that trained him controlled every aspect of his life, including who he slept with. Very interesting...

As for the iditarod, the dogs aren't whipped or forced to do it in any way. They do it because they live for it and love it. No doubt that it is tough on the dog and leads to injury and even death. But don't think it because people are "forcing" them to. And they are never deprived of water or food. If they are injured they are taken off the team. Don't overdramatize this. Lose of hydration or energy leads to lowered performance. They want their dogs putting out their best effort, so why would they starve or dehydrate their dogs?

Gravity man

steve hiker
03-10-2004, 14:10
Dogs are monitored by neutral parties at several points along the route. I remember reading in Winterdance about the strict regulations and monitoring of the dogs in recent years. And that was back in 1983. Don't remember if they are checked by veterinarians during the race, but I'm almost sure of it. Abuse of the dogs may have occurred in the early days, but is not tolerated anymore.

Also, these dogs are super athletes who live to race and love it. They are to ordinary dogs what thoroughbreds are to ordinary horses. A different breed of animal altogether.

I love animals and cannot stand any act of cruelty. The Iditarod, at least from my reading, is not an act of cruelty to these dogs but a sport of beauty in which man and dog come together at their finest.

Again, I encourage anyone to read Gary Paulsen's book. It is an outstanding read.

sp00ky
03-10-2004, 17:43
Looks interesting...

Here is the book mentioned...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0156001454/qid=1078954899/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-5164599-5667266?v=glance&s=books

Dances with Mice
03-10-2004, 20:33

Strangest way of keeping it all under wraps I've ever seen.

http://www.adn.com/iditarod/news/story/4835185p-4773405c.html

steve hiker
03-11-2004, 00:10
I was right, there are veterinarians who check the dogs several times during the race. Here is a link to the page with vets looking out for them dawgs:

http://www.iditarod.com/ddatmillen.html

smokymtnsteve
03-11-2004, 00:31
Dogs the Ultimate Trail gear...

not only will they carry your food..you can kill and eat the dog if you run out of food.

dog..the ultimate trail food..food that carries itself.

azchipka
03-11-2004, 00:38
I have a pure bread huskie and will say right away that these dogs dont need to be forced or pushed into running and pulling stuff. Juliet is still just a baby and she will out do most hikers i know over long distances. When i hike with her most of times when we stop she looks at me like "What Already! Boy get your butt up and lets go!". We will do a 12 - 18 mile day together and arrive where we are going to camp and all she wants to do is run around and play.

When i hike with others i often find i have to worry more about others in the group getting run down then her.

Would i take Juilet on a thru-hike of the AT with me? I wouldnt think twice about it, of course i would. Why am i not taking her with me this summer? It simple i dont want to have to worry about finding places on the trail that i can stay at that will allow me to bring her inside, since i only had a few months to make my plans. Will she be on the trail with me in 2005. She sure will.

steve hiker
03-13-2004, 16:07
Karen's in 48th place right now. She checked into Ruby checkpoint at 11:27 today Alaska time, a little over halfway through the race. Seven scratches, 80 mushers still in the running.

And a rookie is in 17th place. Check out the standings live, here:

http://www.iditarod.com/2004standings/data/include/standings.html

steve hiker
04-07-2004, 19:28
Karen finished 56th out of 87 starters. The amazing thing is that only 10 scratched. Check out the final standings here:

http://www.iditarod.com/2004standings/data/include/standings.html