PDA

View Full Version : Hammock angle

CarolinaJP
08-22-2008, 21:56
I bought a hammock today and I can't get comfortable in it at all. I understand that the South Americans who invented the hammock slept in them at 20 degree angles so as to lay flat. I cant get it to work, I am a very tall and wide individual though. This was the cheapest ultralight hammock I think I paid thirty bucks for it. Is there another hammock out there I should try or is it just me and my wide shoulders?

Hooch
08-22-2008, 21:58
I bought a hammock today and I can't get comfortable in it at all. I understand that the South Americans who invented the hammock slept in them at 20 degree angles so as to lay flat. I cant get it to work, I am a very tall and wide individual though. This was the cheapest ultralight hammock I think I paid thirty bucks for it. Is there another hammock out there I should try or is it just me and my wide shoulders?The answer to this question and more at Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net). Please pardon the shameless plug, but it's your best source for info on all things hammock. Tell 'em Hooch sent ya! :D

sasquatch2014
08-22-2008, 22:01
I don't know what the angle is of my set up when i hang but i can get pretty flat my feet may be up just a bit but not so much as to cause any strain. I can also sleep on my side in mine and pretty comfortable.

Bulldawg
08-22-2008, 22:20
If you are a big guy, you have got to get a hammock with plenty of width and one designed to be used asym. You have to lay diagonal in the hammock to get flat. It took me some work with my homemade, but once I got the whipping on the ends right, it was perfect. Good luck!

kayak karl
08-22-2008, 22:30
I bought a hammock today and I can't get comfortable in it at all. I understand that the South Americans who invented the hammock slept in them at 20 degree angles so as to lay flat. I cant get it to work, I am a very tall and wide individual though. This was the cheapest ultralight hammock I think I paid thirty bucks for it. Is there another hammock out there I should try or is it just me and my wide shoulders?
try hanging the foot end higher then the head. then adjust to fit:)

CarolinaJP
08-22-2008, 22:34
Wham bam thank ya mam. I appreciate the link Hooch.

kayak karl
08-22-2008, 22:47
Wham bam thank ya mam.
A BOWIE FAN:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5337rDy6hTA

jlb2012
08-23-2008, 12:13
there are two angles that affect comfort with an inexpensive hammock - 1.) the sag angle - the support straps for the hammock should angle down from horizontal by about 30 degrees - this will vary somewhat with the hammock and how it is constructed/whipped 2.) diagonal lay angle - once there is enough sag but not too much then the laying in the hammock side to side angle - here again it will vary somewhat but a good starting point would be about 20 degrees relative to the line that goes from hammock support strap to the other strap

If you are unable to get a good diagonal angle - one that feels relatively flat - then try more sag.