PDA

View Full Version : When is the herd done with Georgia?

StoveStomper
03-08-2004, 17:00
I've got a couple of AT sections in Georgia I want to finish this spring before the heat of summer hits.
When are most of the thruhikers done with Georgia?
I don't want to add to the 'herd' around the limited shelters.

Thanks,
StoveStomper

Peaks
03-08-2004, 17:08
I've got a couple of AT sections in Georgia I want to finish this spring before the heat of summer hits.

Thanks,
StoveStomper

Looking at the survey done in 1989 by Roland Mueser, and published in his book "Long Distance Hiking,", 90% of the thru-hikers start by April 15. The latest any thru-hiker started was May 6. Considering that it takes about a week to get to Bly Gap, the trail in Georgia should be clear of thru-hikers by mid May.

smokymtnsteve
03-08-2004, 17:11
which sections stove stomper?

StoveStomper
03-08-2004, 17:38
which sections stove stomper?I still have Neels to Unico Gap and Dicks Creek to NC to go.
I figure a couple of long weekends will get it done. The drive up and back is the hard part for me.

I was hopeing the large groupings would be over mid April. It's Spring down here on the coast right now.

chris
03-08-2004, 17:41
On my section hike in 2002, I started on May 1 at Springer and saw a few thruhikers in Georgia. The biggest clutch was at Gooch Gap, where there were maybe 8. I saw only one of them ever again. Most of the time I was in Georgia, I saw only a few weekend hikers. At Stover there were three others, Gooch the eight, Blood one other, Low three, Tray two, Plumorchard zero. And, I wasn't passing tents either. May seems to be a good time to start as the heat hasn't arrived in full yet and the cold has (mostly) gone home for the summer.

Dances with Mice
03-08-2004, 19:34
You could be asking one of two questions here, I'll answer both.

If your goal is to stay at uncrowded shelters, then late April - mid May.

If your goal is to avoid overcrowded campsites, then hike anytime. You can't walk a single mile in Georgia without passing good campsites. There's no need to join the herd around the shelters.

hacksaw
03-09-2004, 11:35
You could be asking one of two questions here, I'll answer both.

If your goal is to stay at uncrowded shelters, then late April - mid May.

If your goal is to avoid overcrowded campsites, then hike anytime. You can't walk a single mile in Georgia without passing good campsites. There's no need to join the herd around the shelters.

Yeah, I agree with what D W M said.

Hacksaw