PDA

View Full Version : Who Still Uses External Frame Packs Besides Me

JumpInTheLake
08-23-2008, 09:32
Well...?

Homer&Marje
08-23-2008, 10:04
My father still has an external frame, but he has a 50 year old combination lock on his workshop too, once he has it, if it isn't broke (and he can't fix it) it will stay with him. He's never had a problem with his pack so until it falls apart that's what he'll have. I imagine many people are like this, me being one of them but just with t-shirts and jeans! YEA!!! MISFITS T-Shirt and LEVIS SILVERTABS.

He also doesn't understand how one might go on a backpacking trip with less than 40 lbs. ( I don't understand under 20)

latte
08-23-2008, 10:15
I have a Kelty Super Tioga 5500 external. It was the only thing I could find that fit and carried the weight properly. I often hike with children and need the extra capacity. When hiking alone I total around 35 lbs. When hiking with the kids, my pack is around 65 lbs (They can't carry food and gear, just their personal stuff - sleeping mat, sleeping bag, clothes, snacks). The only internal frame pack I found to tackle the loads is one of the Osprey styles, but it weighs just as much as my external. No point in spending the money on a pack that doesn't save me any weight...

CrumbSnatcher
08-23-2008, 10:23
Well...?
i haven't checked out packs for a couple years,(new tech) but i have always used a external pack. they are designed to stay off your back so you don't sweat into them.and air flows between you and the pack. the load rides higher and carries better. the best part is all the external pockets for your gear. you can pack and unpack alot faster in and out of camp too,i would say thats my opionion but i can rememember all the times people with internal packs told me that as they watched me pack up. they weigh more on avg. but they are also half the price on avg.:D theres a million ways to hike and almost as many packs to choose from. to each his/her own...

Lyle
08-23-2008, 10:24
I probably would if they offered lighter weight frame packs. They are more comfortable, but at 5 lbs, the pack itself would be about 1/4 of my load! That isn't acceptable.

The pack manufacturers quit doing any research or innovation on external frame packs in the mid-eighties. It was the manufacturers that chose to kill the external frame pack.

The one exception on the market today is GROSSLY overpriced.

clicker
08-23-2008, 10:26
I still use my fathers old Jansport that is about 35 years old. Just got back from a one nite trip with it and I think it may need to be replaced, the padding on the shoulder straps/hip belt is just worn out. But it is external. I will probably replace it with a new external frame. That Jansport will carry a lot of weight. Hopefully my new one will.

T-Dubs
08-23-2008, 10:34
My Kelta Tioga, circa 1979, still serves me just fine. Unfortunately it doesn't have all that many miles on it.

TWS

Tipi Walter
08-23-2008, 10:39
Well...?

So, what do you use??

I probably would if they offered lighter weight frame packs. They are more comfortable, but at 5 lbs, the pack itself would be about 1/4 of my load! That isn't acceptable.

The pack manufacturers quit doing any research or innovation on external frame packs in the mid-eighties. It was the manufacturers that chose to kill the external frame pack.

The one exception on the market today is GROSSLY overpriced.

My pack weighs 8 pounds empty but I got no problem with it(internal). It's totally acceptable. No innovation? You should check out the limited production of Kelty's 50th Anniversary pack if you want to see some recent innovation. Which overpriced pack are you talking about? And how about Mystery Ranch's NICE frame and Overkill NICE? Brand new, researched and innovative.

modiyooch
08-23-2008, 11:05
I still hike with mine from 1980. It started the trail with me and it will finish with me even if I have to eventually duct tape it. I have 422 miles to go. Although huge, I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I am obsessed with reducing weight. I weighs less than 5 pounds. I don't know how that weight compares to the newest internal packs, but when comparing please add in all the extra attachments that people add to store things such as camera cases. It's feestanding. I don't have to drag it into shelter area. It has compartments and I know where everything is located. My bread can have it's very own compartment. It's also based on my hips instead of burdening my shoulders. It is my friend.

Lyle
08-23-2008, 11:08
Tipi Walter,
I have no desire to carry 100 lbs - that is what the Overkill NICE is designed for. I have no desire to carry 50 lbs on a regular basis. I want to carry 20 - 25 lbs normally, 30 - 35 lbs max during winter. I would appreciate an external frame pack designed for these loads so that I could continue to enjoy many of the attributes of an external frame (ventilation, easy packing, etc.)

The Kelty might warrant some attention (tho it is still 4 lbs), but on 6 sites I checked it is unavailable from the manufacturer. Not backordered or temporaritly out of stock, but unavailable. It does no good to design a pack if you aren't going to manufacture it.

The overpriced pack I was referring to was the LuxuryLite - $385.00

Bob S
08-23-2008, 11:13
I like external packs for many reasons, a lot of the ones mentioned above.

mister krabs
08-23-2008, 12:09
I imagine many people are like this, me being one of them but just with t-shirts and jeans! YEA!!! MISFITS T-Shirt and LEVIS SILVERTABS.
( I don't understand under 20)

I kept my crimson skull and Danzig tshirts until I saw a high school hipster wearing one. I gave up the battle and let my wife throw them out.

JumpInTheLake
08-23-2008, 12:20
So, what do you use??

It's a Kelty Trekker 3500 I think. I bought it in the early nineties. It's still doing well.

superman
08-23-2008, 12:33
I started the AT with a external frame pack. I looked like a junk man. I had stuff lashed to it every which way. Nothing fit the way it was supposed to. I bought a 3500 CI Osprey internal frame pack and my load of junk got organized and my extra stuff was sent home. That worked fine for the rest of the AT. Since then I replaced my gear with smaller, lighter stuff and now it all fits easily into my external frame pack. Now I have a light, compact load with air flow on my back. I carried a G 4 pack for a while but it was like wearing a furnace on my back plus I don't need that kind of room any more. Adapt an over come.

Pedaling Fool
08-23-2008, 12:45
http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?terms=tioga%205500&id=186

DocSarvis
08-23-2008, 14:41
Still using California-made Kelty Tioga as modified by A-16 in the early 80's. Wish they still made 'em!

SmokeHouse
08-23-2008, 14:43
My wife has a Kelty 2900 ext frame for her one time a year trip with me. I use a MysteryRanch 6400 because most of the time I'm gone for several weeks, so what I take is all I have with water being the exception.

papa john
08-23-2008, 15:11
I have a Kelty Trekker 3900 that is bulletproof. I cut out the divider between the main compartment and the sleeping bag area. I like to use that in the summertime. You can throw that sucker off a cliff and it wouldn't bother it at all.

I also have a Kelty Super Cirque external frame, but I have not been able to find out any information on that pack. It is considerably larger, pobably over 5,000 ci. Would make a good winter pack when you are going out into really cold weather for extended hikes. I haven't used that one yet.

I just got a used Kelty 2900 Redwing which I will use this fall. It isn't an external pack, but should be just right for a fall hike. Kind of heavy but pretty bulletproof. It is a frontloader rather than a top loader. Has 2 front pockets as well, one is perfect for the tarp and the other could be used for snacks/lunch and stuff you don't want to get wet.

Gorp-Gobbler
08-23-2008, 17:04
I bought a Kelty Tioga in '74 and it still looks good and serves its purpose. I used it for years section hiking so it's been in and out of car trunks. With that said, I still have the pack but the more expensive cars...I don't know where they are. They should have been built as well.

Wilson
08-23-2008, 17:36
I still use a Gregory evolution from the late 80s.

I wanted to try an internal, but with an actual load the external felt more comfortable, to me.

Slo-go'en
08-23-2008, 18:02
I bought a brand new Jansport "Scout" external frame pack for $99.95 at my local hardware store, which also carries hiking gear. It was the smallest of three sizes (3800 cu-in) and weighs 3 pounds 10 oz if I remeber right. Just a few oz more than my REI mid-sized Ulta-light pack. The large size runs $129.00.

I used this recently for the DWG to Lee, MA section hike I compeleted a little over a week ago. I have mixed feelings towards this pack. On the plus side, I love the compartments and side pockets. On the down side, I don't think it carried quite as well as the internal frame, expecially down hill. Not sure if it keept my back any cooler, it has a pretty large pad against the back. The REI pack has a bit of air space behind it, so might have worked out about the same.

I still have my first pack, a Camp Trails (remeber them?) external frame and it weighs in at over 5 pounds, but you can carry a load in it! This pack has a LOT of miles on it!

Sleepy the Arab
08-23-2008, 19:20
Right here.

I've used a Dana Designs K2 Shortbed for 6100 miles of AT. Lord knows I've tried going to an internal frame but I just have some sort of disconnect when it comes to packing the things. It's better to just shrug and accept what you like.

Blue Jay
08-23-2008, 21:46
Right here.

I've used a Dana Designs K2 Shortbed for 6100 miles of AT.

Mine's a Longbed, for around the same milage. I sometimes carry an internal in the winter, but in the heat I'll never carry one. Good to see you in Rutland.

Ape 99
08-24-2008, 04:55
I also carried a Dana/K2 longbed on my thru & still use it. That said if anyone could produce an ultralight external (sub 2lbs?) I'd buy it in a second.

squirrel bait
08-24-2008, 05:20
I do. Bought used here on WB. Kelty undetermined model, huge and bulletproof. I agree with "you could throw it off a cliff." Love the way it rides on the hips, ya just gotta learn to adjust them. They never get very muddy but they are heavy. Designated pockets for certain items. And yea you can hang a ton of stuff off them.

rigidpsycho
08-24-2008, 11:45
I have a Camp Trail pack that one of my neighbors gave me I like for the airflow with off my back, but am now considering to get an internal frame pack since I just hurt my back. I thought I should get a lighter weight pack so I wouldn't hurt my back on the trail.

Lyle
08-24-2008, 11:51
That said if anyone could produce an ultralight external (sub 2lbs?) I'd buy it in a second.

My sentiments exactly. I might even go 2.5 lbs if the price was decent. :)

Whiskyjo
08-24-2008, 12:00
Wife and I both still use the Gregory Evolutions mine 4500 and hers 3500 tuff, heavy and lots of miles on them.,

boarstone
08-24-2008, 13:32
Kelty external frame, women's trekker,(circa 1987) weight, 2# ....I'm not giving mine up, I've tried the internals and they don't work for me and the Kelty allows airflow..dimishing the sweat overload...I use my two internals for fiddleheading in the spring..

Lyle
08-24-2008, 14:03
Would be nice, but according to REI today's Women's Trekker weights 5 lbs.

http://www.rei.com/product/734293

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 14:35
I traded my Kelty in a long time ago for an internal. I don't carry over 25lbs

Wilson
08-24-2008, 14:54
I traded my Kelty in a long time ago for an internal. I don't carry over 25lbs
Neither do I, much of the time.
Having an external doesn't mean you have to throw the kitchen sink in it.
I've concentrated on reducing the weight of all my gear except the pack...because of the way they feel, some packs are worth an extra pound or more.

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 14:58
Neither do I, much of the time.
Having an external doesn't mean you have to throw the kitchen sink in it.
I've concentrated on reducing the weight of all my gear except the pack...because of the way they feel, some packs are worth an extra pound or more.

Honestly, my Kelty was great, Tioga 5000. It helped relieve pressure on my back, and I didn't have to bother too much about spreading the weight in the pack. But i did have some issues because the frame was universal, it's not custom welded to the fit of my body, so it caused bits of pain in areas, and rubbed raw in another.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-24-2008, 16:44
I still use my super tioga 5500. It's about 10 years old and almost broken in.

mudcap
08-24-2008, 18:15
Kelty tioga...1979 ish, Own many packs,still fall back on this beauty. I love the ventilation.

tight-wad
08-24-2008, 18:56
Jansport Carson, tall. 7 years (?). Huge! >> 6000 cu in. Feels real good on my back. Never any problems. <<6 pounds?

I am upgrading my gear one item at a time, one hike at a time. I only upgrade to something that is equivalent AND lighter. Very few internal packs have the capacity of the larger externals. Next trip will be with a go-lite odyssey internal. Will post again if it is worth it to me, or if I decide to go back to old reliable.

Why so big? Because 1) 6+ days of food, and 2) I carry a change of clothes and shoes for camp. The simple pleasures of hiking/camping for me include decent meals, and being dry and comfortable and... less stinky in camp. Size 11 crocs take a lot of space!

mudcap
08-24-2008, 19:06
Jansport Carson, tall. 7 years (?). Huge! >> 6000 cu in. Feels real good on my back. Never any problems. <<6 pounds?

I am upgrading my gear one item at a time, one hike at a time. I only upgrade to something that is equivalent AND lighter. Very few internal packs have the capacity of the larger externals. Next trip will be with a go-lite odyssey internal. Will post again if it is worth it to me, or if I decide to go back to old reliable.

Why so big? Because 1) 6+ days of food, and 2) I carry a change of clothes and shoes for camp. The simple pleasures of hiking/camping for me include decent meals, and being dry and comfortable and... less stinky in camp. Size 11 crocs take a lot of space!

Ditto,very realistic post !

Jim Adams
08-24-2008, 19:39
I just returned to external and now wonder why I ever left. My first thru was in 1990 and I used a Peak 1 XPD and swore that it was the most comfortable pack that I've ever worn. Now 18 years later I just went back to a Peak 1 (used) and have found that it srtill is the most comfortable pack that I've ever worn. You don't need to carry alot of weight to justify using an external. My pack weight is between 25 and 30lbs. and with that weight it is way more comfortable than any of my internals. Empty pack weight is 2lb. 10oz.

geek

T-Dubs
08-24-2008, 20:04
Not necessarily to Jim A. but a question in general. I wonder on the age breakdown of those using internal and external. Some have their age listed but I'm guessing externals are more of an old-guy thing.

(I posted my Kelty Tioga earlier)

TWS

mudcap
08-24-2008, 21:25
Soon to be 47,within a week.
Not necessarily to Jim A. but a question in general. I wonder on the age breakdown of those using internal and external. Some have their age listed but I'm guessing externals are more of an old-guy thing.

TWS

superman
08-24-2008, 21:31

TWS

Who you callen old guy? :)

Jim Adams
08-24-2008, 21:45

TWS

No problem. 55 y/o. I was 37 during my first thru, 49 on my second thru. I have / do own TNF (2), Gregory (2), Osprey (1), Dana (1), Jansport (1), Camp Trails (1), Kelty (1), a Brawny copy, homemade, Northwest River Supplies (2) all internals.
I had a Peak 1 external for 3 years then went to the "internal fad" just like most people. I just went back to the Peak 1 external in April when I purchased a used one. I was amazed at the difference in comfort. In 1990 I got my thru hike pack weight down to 41lbs from 65lbs. and the pack was comfortable.
Fast forward to 2008 and I loaded my "new" Peak 1 with all of my needed gear plus 4 days of food,1 liter of water and 1 liter of whiskey...29lbs. plus change.
The loaded pack feels great this light.:sun

geek

Sleepy the Arab
08-24-2008, 21:56

TWS

I am not old! I'm not even middle aged, dammit.

Wilson
08-24-2008, 22:01
I am not old! I'm not even middle aged, dammit.
You will be. Sooner than you think.:)

Gumbi
08-25-2008, 10:21
Not me! My internal frame is quite comfortable and fits my body well... I can't imagine not using it.

Tipi Walter
08-25-2008, 10:22
My first pack was an old BSA Yucca pack w/o the frame(Texas, 1963):

atraildreamer
08-25-2008, 12:05
You will be. Sooner than you think.:)
I thought i might be getting old when I got an invitation to join the AARP...:confused:

I knew I was getting old when I accepted the invitation and joined the AARP...:-?

But when the teenage boys call you "Sir", and the teenage girls hold the door open for you...:eek::(:mad:

You know that you have summited the last mountain and are sliding fast down the other side into decrepitude!!!:D:banana

(Kelty Tioga is my hauler.)

fancyfeet
08-25-2008, 19:10
Wife and I both still use the Gregory Evolutions mine 4500 and hers 3500 tuff, heavy and lots of miles on them.,

I also have the Gregory Evolution. I love the way they're built and wish Gregory would have continued the line, with improvements (weight and size). I have come to the realization that, though I love the pack, it isn't for me. I have an absurdly short torso (xs). I have had lots of fit issues over the years of use, resulting in some small scars from straps rubbing wrong! I am planning to get another external pack, though will probably go to a Kelty, which makes smaller packs. Either that or go to a youth sized pack.

superman
08-25-2008, 19:57
I thought i might be getting old when I got an invitation to join the AARP...:confused:

I knew I was getting old when I accepted the invitation and joined the AARP...:-?

But when the teenage boys call you "Sir", and the teenage girls hold the door open for you...:eek::(:mad:

You know that you have summited the last mountain and are sliding fast down the other side into decrepitude!!!:D:banana

(Kelty Tioga is my hauler.)

It only gets worse. Teenage girls assume that I need them to carry my purchases to my car. Men in their 30's and 40's call me sir. The one that gets me is when I'm buying ski's, or what ever, they say "these should last the rest of your life." I feel like Papion when he sticks his head out through his cell door and asks the guy in the next cell how he looks. The guy says "you look good" when he really looked like crap.

Jim Adams
08-25-2008, 20:11
It only gets worse. Teenage girls assume that I need them to carry my purchases to my car. Men in their 30's and 40's call me sir. The one that gets me is when I'm buying ski's, or what ever, they say "these should last the rest of your life." I feel like Papion when he sticks his head out through his cell door and asks the guy in the next cell how he looks. The guy says "you look good" when he really looked like crap.

Kinda works the same way with me only mostly about conditioning........I hate it when people ask me how long it took me to waddle from Georgia to Maine!:D

geek

boarstone
08-26-2008, 19:05
Would be nice, but according to REI today's Women's Trekker weights 5 lbs.

http://www.rei.com/product/734293

I put mine on my hanging scale....2 lbs.

rafe
08-26-2008, 20:51
I used a Camp Trails "Adjustable II" from about 1988 through 2006. Other external-frame packs before then. In 2007 I finally made peace with an internal-frame pack.

hopefulhiker
08-26-2008, 22:18
I thru hiked with a luxury lite frame in 05, but it was a brand new pack design.. to check it out go to Luxurylite.com

sirbingo
08-27-2008, 09:15
I still use my old external pack when hiking with my wife...that's b/c when I'm with her she gets to use my nice Granite Gear internal pack.

russb
08-27-2008, 19:29

Papillion is one of my favorite movies. Thanks for mentioning it.

I use an external frame sometimes. I have a no-name stripped down frame with shoulder pads and a simple hipbelt, it weighs 26oz. When I use it, I either go packless and lash a few stuffsacks with gear onto it, or I attach my Thompson Peak (9.5oz) to it and lash another stuff sack below it. Works great in winter when the gear I take is more bulky.

Erin
08-27-2008, 21:17
I love my Kelty yukon Reg. 2900. You can see it in my gallery for our Grand Canyon hike. I am small, it fits and packs light. I grew up using my brother's exterior frame camp trails and was thrilled to find an exterior pack that fits. I carried an interior pack on our AT section. It was very comfortable,but heavy. I really think the exterior frame forces me to pack lighter. I know it worked for me in the Grand Canyon when I had to really go light.

Mags
08-28-2008, 10:52
Curiously, the frameless lightweight packs are very old school in design..just a ruck sack with no frame! So instead of leather or canvas, we use nylon. :)

It was only ~ the WW2 era that framed packs become common. After WW2 and Korea, there was a glut of military surplus equipment on the market and framed packs became popular for the average person.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_mountain_rucksack.php
(Internal and External frame pack!)

IIRC, didn't Earl Shaffer use a similar pack in 1948?

Kelty came along, made what we called external frame packs .and the rest is history....
http://www.oregonphotos.com/Kelty-1.html

I know others who used the Jansport Scout. Light and cheap (for an external).

Two Speed
08-28-2008, 12:41
Either that or go to a youth sized pack.

I know others who used the Jansport Scout. Light and cheap (for an external).Still keep a Jansport Scout in working condition; never know when I might want to do one of those "Tipi Walter - hang out in the woods for two weeks" style hikes.

fancyfeet, the one thing a lot of folks complain about is the short torso length that the Scout accommodates. I'm 5' 8" and have adjusted the shoulder bar all the way up the frame, and it's still a little short for me, so you may want to look at the Scout. Campmor usually puts them on sale after Christmas. Seen 'em as low as $70.

JumpInTheLake
08-28-2008, 12:59
I put mine on my hanging scale....2 lbs.

Please tell me how you like the women's Trekker. I might buy one for my wife.

Mags
08-28-2008, 13:18
True, the scout is meant for youths.. (or short people like me at 5'6" :D)

Still, a good example of a still popular external frame pack.

fancyfeet
08-28-2008, 18:26
Still keep a Jansport Scout in working condition; never know when I might want to do one of those "Tipi Walter - hang out in the woods for two weeks" style hikes.

fancyfeet, the one thing a lot of folks complain about is the short torso length that the Scout accommodates. I'm 5' 8" and have adjusted the shoulder bar all the way up the frame, and it's still a little short for me, so you may want to look at the Scout. Campmor usually puts them on sale after Christmas. Seen 'em as low as $70.

Thanks, Two Speed. I'll definitely check it out! :)

fancyfeet
08-28-2008, 18:33
True, the scout is meant for youths.. (or short people like me at 5'6" :D)

Still, a good example of a still popular external frame pack.

You call that short? I'm 5'1" (and so is my backpack)! :p

T-Dubs
08-28-2008, 19:35
I love my... <SNIP>

That shoots my 'old-guy' theory.

TWS

summitnh
04-04-2009, 19:00
When my husband comes on the trail with me, he uses my 25 year old camptrails external pack

Saint Alfonzo
04-05-2009, 10:27
Tis a ponderous pack I wear... E.M.S.4500 external..

GrubbyJohn
04-05-2009, 11:00
I got a Mountain Smith External from Dick's for $99.99. It weighs 4 lbs and has 4500 cubic inches. Did first section hike for 8 days with the starting weight of 70 lbs. Being a newbie - I over packed but the pack rode great! Would love to go lighter but love the convenience the external frame offers.

yaduck9
04-05-2009, 11:39
Back in the 80's I used a Camp Trails Adjustable 2. At the time I thought it was a great pack. But looking back I remember how often it would get snagged in brush and overhanging trees, although, one time, that was a blessing because I avoided stepping on a diamondback rattle snake. So after some experimenting I eventually got a Mariposa Plus, but then I became obsessed with avoiding brush and laying tyvek down before putting the pack on the ground. I presently have a kelty Internal, 4200 cu in, 3# 12 oz. which I will probobly modify. Big enough for light bulky items, pack cloth rugged enough to handle the AZ vegetation.

I still miss the way that Camp Trails rode on my hips. It rode like a Cadillac.......smoooth. I looked at a jansport scout, maybe i will look at it again.

gtg
04-05-2009, 20:54
Ok I really enjoyed reading all the comments about external frames, so a couple of questions or seeking advice here as well. After years of using externals I slipped and fell of course this must have been the fault of the external bulky pack and not my own lack of coordination! I went with the Osprey Aether 70 and it’s a totally awesome pack. The problem I ran into isn’t the pack but my back you see it seems to sweat big time! I have used my Aether on several 5 day trips mostly spring and fall. I tried it last august for 5 days in summer humidity and it was like I was wringing out the pack. So here is my dilemma if you will. I plan on through hiking the LT starting in August. I will have two major layovers were if necessary I can switch out packs. I plan on the LT this summer and then if the economy makes some sort of recovery and I can afford the time away the AT as a through trip the following year. I want to try out going back to an external while on the LT to see which pack I am better off with. Back to my dilemma is I no longer have the giant kelty I had and want to get a new one. No outfitter around here stocks them for me to compare them. The two externals I am considering are the Tioga 5500 and the trekker 3950. It looks like REI has both on back order. While I don’t see an issue at all with volume in that I pretty much have gone to a minimalist amount of gear, I am wondering if any one knows what the differences beyond capacity would be in these new models? I am curious about differences in the frame, and the belt mainly. I am large and have the long torso issue so having even the extra inch torso the trekker offers might be nice.
I am hoping to make my decision online as which external to try so then I can order just the one. Been greatly appreciative of all the help both in previous answers to my post and in all the other posts its been darn helpful thanks!

CowHead
04-05-2009, 21:07
I got a monster of one I believe I carry my wife in it, mmmmmmmmmmmm one day I just wanted to see how much stuff I could get in there and after fishing pole tackle box and a two man rubber raft with the ores broke down I still had room for everything you need for a 10 day hike. Total weight was 105 felt like military days

jaywalke
04-07-2009, 23:34
I've always used internals, but I want to try an external for the hot weather here (May-September). Campmor has last year's Kelty Trekkers for $79, and now they have one less than they had 10 minutes ago . . . :-]

rainmakerat92
04-08-2009, 00:31
I had an internal frame pack for about 3 days before I boxed it up and sent it back to NJ where it came from. And the only reason I had it that long was because it was the week-end and the post office was closed.

First thing I didn't like about it occurred when I tried to put some stuff into it. Unlike my external frame pack, the stupid thing fell over. Okay, I thought, I'll just pack it while it is lying on the floor. Then, when I tried to put more stuff into it, it moved away from me and I had to keep running after it. In addition, when I did manage to get it loaded, it rested right in the small of my back and hurt like hell.

So, I went back to an external frame. I have a custom made silnylon pack that is mounted on an old Camp Trails frame. It fits me like a glove, is a snap to load, never hurts my back and the pack and frame weigh about 3.5 pounds. And, yes, I'm an "old guy".

SunnyWalker
04-11-2009, 22:14
Well, I have a Kelty Continental Divide (5300) external pack. I have used it all over Big Bend, Sangre de Cristo Mtns., and et al. I sacrifice pack weight cuz it is so comfortable and I like the air flow because I sweat a lot. When I get down to doing a thru hike I may look for another smaller pack. But it will probably be an external. I have suspected what one writer here said is true that the Internal Frame are "furnace on the back"? ps.does anyone else here use a Kelty Continental Divide 5300?

mbanja
04-13-2009, 23:55
My REI external has carried my stuff sectioning from springer to Sams Gap and many weekends in between. I ditched the actual cloth pack bag along time ago and sewed a top bag for all the heavy stuff. Food and water sit higher over my head and is easy on my hips. Sleeping bag and clothes go in a sil ny strapped to the frame over the sleeping pad at the bottom. Skin out weight is about 30 for long section.

I am starting to look at making a gearskin copy.... The two pound pack I have now could be a 1.5 pound pack....hmmmmm. Gonna use the hipbelt and shoulder straps from the external and see if it works out the same. Something tells me I'll be back to the external by next spring... Wheldon suggests this in one of his videos.

No good pics of my pack in rentman or chaco's galleries. Just picture a 6 and a half foot garage sale strapped to a 5 foot 10 guy.

Gray Blazer
04-14-2009, 07:47
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26856&catid=member&imageuser=6217

Got a lot of miles with this one.

hikingsailor
04-29-2009, 19:47
I grew up on external packs so I have not tried the fancy new stuff yet. I like to use the frame to tie things on. I am trying to go lighter though. I might try internal just too see if it is better but I have talked to people who went over to internal but switched back. :-?

hikingshoes
04-29-2009, 20:33
I also have a Kelty Super Tioga that ive had for 10yrs .I can pack it up or down if i like on a as needed bases.like said in some of the post,i like the air on my back.Plus you can adjust the length on top if you need it.I like the way the bottom of the pack is made also it protects your tent or Pad(air) onces you sit it down.:)
I have a Kelty Super Tioga 5500 external. It was the only thing I could find that fit and carried the weight properly. I often hike with children and need the extra capacity. When hiking alone I total around 35 lbs. When hiking with the kids, my pack is around 65 lbs (They can't carry food and gear, just their personal stuff - sleeping mat, sleeping bag, clothes, snacks). The only internal frame pack I found to tackle the loads is one of the Osprey styles, but it weighs just as much as my external. No point in spending the money on a pack that doesn't save me any weight...

Oldgame
05-21-2009, 09:54
I have a Kelty Trekker that I use rarely. Most of the time I use a Vapor Trail (internal 2 1/4 lbs). A friend bought a 1970's Kelty on E-bay. It only weighed 3 lbs. The Trekker is close to 5 lbs. I think this is the biggest problem with the externals today, none of them are light.

JuiceBox
05-31-2009, 11:22
My hiking buddy still uses a Kelty external he bought for boy scout trips 8 or so years ago. He packs it full to 40 pounds and still flies past me :P.

CowHead
06-02-2009, 11:55
I used mine during hunting season it's a tank and can carry alot of stuff

vonfrick
06-03-2009, 17:19
warrghy has always used one and i quickly grew jealous of how easy it was to pack up. i HATE that with my internal i have to dig through it to find stuff. i just picked up a camptrails night song for FREE and absolutely love it!! :bananai put everthing i usually take into it and there's still more room, and it's all very easy to get to.

zeus307
06-03-2009, 18:56
I use external frame and love it! easy to use, well vented and overall the better of the two.

vonfrick
06-03-2009, 19:04
I use external frame and love it! easy to use, well vented and overall the better of the two.

:welcome:welcome