PDA

View Full Version : waterproof socks

Frosty
08-23-2008, 14:43
Slogging through bogs and beaver ponds on the NPT was a royal pain. Crocs proven less effective than I thought because of the frequency of standing water on the trail and the rugged footpath inbetween water areas. I estimate that changing into and out of Crocs where appropriate would add about four years to an NPT thruhike. Well, almost.

Anyone have any experience with waterproof socks? I mean, people who have actually used them. I can Google and read all the manufacturers sales pitches, but would like to hear about youe experiences:

1. What manufacturer?

2. Were they actually waterproof?

3. If so, were they still waterproof when totally immersed (over the tops)?

4. Are they durable (how long do they last)?

5. Was the sizing accurate? (I have very large feet and if their advertised size 12-13 were tight on a size 12 foot, I'll neve squeeze my size 17's into them.)

Thanks in advance.

Pokey2006
08-23-2008, 15:10
Hey Frosty. Hope you had fun on your hike, despite all the water. It has certainly been a wet one in the northeast!

I don't know about waterproof socks, but this summer I've taken to using just a thin pair of synthetics with plain old sneakers -- the kind with mesh on top. They get wet quickly, but then they dry out quickly. You could always bring a couple extra pairs of sock to change into here and there.

I don't think anything will keep your feet dry this summer!

highway
08-23-2008, 15:47
Slogging through bogs and beaver ponds on the NPT was a royal pain. Crocs proven less effective than I thought because of the frequency of standing water on the trail and the rugged footpath inbetween water areas. I estimate that changing into and out of Crocs where appropriate would add about four years to an NPT thruhike. Well, almost.

Anyone have any experience with waterproof socks? I mean, people who have actually used them. I can Google and read all the manufacturers sales pitches, but would like to hear about youe experiences:

1. What manufacturer?

5. Was the sizing accurate? (I have very large feet and if their advertised size 12-13 were tight on a size 12 foot, I'll neve squeeze my size 17's into them.)

Thanks in advance.

I have used sealskinz socks. I hike in shorts and sandals and only use them if it gets really cold...really cold. But they do work and keep the feet warm and dry. They start to smell bad, though, because of all the sweat that literally exudes from one's feet and accumulates in the white fuzzy material inside. They are hard to dry (remember, they are water proof) even turned inside out. And, do NOT wring them out as it will trap an air bubble inside and pop a seam and they are no longer waterproof-at least not the sock that popped.

But, they do work for what they are designed for, just do not wash them frequently and let them drip dry. I started doing it pinned to the outside of my backpack while I walked if it was not raining. And, dont use them unless you really need them.

There is also some made of Gore Tex, Rocky brand I believe, that I bought but have not used yet.

Summit
08-23-2008, 18:33
I use Sealskinz waterproof socks and love them. Haven't had the odor problem nor a drying out problem. They are a great combo for use with sandals or mesh trail runner shoes in heavy rain. I wear my same merino wool liner sock that I use with normal outer socks and it works great.

Summit
08-26-2008, 13:42
If waterproof socks, i.e. sealskinz are used in warm weather, you are likely to have a hard time telling whether or not they leaked in water or the wetness is from sweat. But a little wet from sweat is preferable to submerged in water under normal wet shoe/boot conditions. At least when I take my 'skinz' off my feet don't look like I've been in a swimming pool for hours . . . you know, the whitish, wrinkly look! :eek:

Footslogger
08-26-2008, 13:50

1. What manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.
=================================

Have the "Rocky" brand name sold by REI. Never wore them back east though. Too humid and the moisture from your feet sweating gets trapped inside the sock and is worse than just plain getting your feet wet without the socks.

As for size ...I wear a 10.5 shoe and got the size 10 Rocky and they fit well. I can even get a Thorlo Light Hiker sock on underneath.

Yes ...they are totally waterproof - - at least mine are.

I've owned them for over 5 years now and they are still going strong.

'Slogger

Kerosene
08-26-2008, 13:50
I used Sealskinz for one Fall hike, and while they clearly kept out rainwater, I ended up pouring half a cup of my sweat from each sock at the end of the day! Needless to say, my feet were pretty shriveled.

Dogwood
08-27-2008, 20:55
I ditto Highway's accessments of Sealskinz.

GlazeDog
08-31-2008, 10:06
I love Sealskinz for cooler hikes, but once it warms up--no way. I ended up getting heat rash on my lower legs--they help retain heat which is great for hiking in snow with tennis shoes. I wear 12EE or 12EEEE shoes and the Sealskinz were accurately sized imo. During a quick plunge they had no leaks. Definitely no leaks thru hours of wet cold rain. But slogging thru a beaver pond for 50+ feet---I'm not sure. Good Luck.

Frosty
08-31-2008, 11:46
If waterproof socks, i.e. sealskinz are used in warm weather, you are likely to have a hard time telling whether or not they leaked in water or the wetness is from sweat.
You can tell the difference because sweat doesn't leave you feet stained black like the mud does :D

I have yet to find anything that fits me, so I may have to make something myself.

minnesotasmith
08-31-2008, 12:06
Really handy for day-after-day rains or (above all) hiking in slush. Yeah, hard to dry, but worth it.

Summit
08-31-2008, 14:08
You can tell the difference because sweat doesn't leave you feet stained black like the mud does :DLOL . . . I can't imagine mud making its way to the inside of my Sealskinz. I'm sure I'd recognize where it came from (inside or outside) if it did. But then I've never had the pleasure of dealing with the Maine bogs, so I guess it is possible.

Frosty
08-31-2008, 14:34
Really handy for day-after-day rains or (above all) hiking in slush. Yeah, hard to dry, but worth it.I'd love to. They just don't make them large enough for me.