PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike in May 09

Unclegorb
08-23-2008, 17:52
In your oppinion if i'm not starting my thru hike untill May 2009, would it be better to hike the trail northbound or southbound? I'm worried that I may be cutting it close if I hike northbound...thoughts?

Pedaling Fool
08-23-2008, 18:26
May is generally too soon to start a SOBO thru. You'll have plenty of time to do a NOBO if you start in May.

DapperD
08-23-2008, 18:27
In your oppinion if i'm not starting my thru hike untill May 2009, would it be better to hike the trail northbound or southbound? I'm worried that I may be cutting it close if I hike northbound...thoughts? I haven't thru-hiked yet but in my opinion from everything I have learned I say go southbound. You are young, which helps, if you are in good condition, that's a plus too. A lot depends on you. Does it matter if you finish in the south without ending on Katadyn? Only you know that. If you successfully complete a southbound thru-hike, you will be in a smaller group of thru-hikers who have achieved success going southbound, as apposed to northbound, which will probably give you satisfaction over the years. Remember the start will be harder than a northbound start, and supplies will most likely be harder to obtain. You will also have to deal with the approaching cold weather towards the end of your hike. On the major plus,you will probably miss the scorching heat that you will run smack into if you begin your thru-hike from Georgia in May. Another major plus is you can take as long as you want to finish. If you do plan Southbound, it is recommended you don't begin until the end of June, beginning of July I believe. Also remember it can still get cold at night.

Pedaling Fool
08-23-2008, 18:40
If you start in May, you will see very hot and cold temps regardless of which direction you choose. The below link is why I say May is generally too early to start, not saying you can't start then, but more issues with Baxter state park; not to mention all the bugs you'll encounter up north during this time of year.

Read carefully: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

4eyedbuzzard
08-23-2008, 20:43
May is generally way too soon to start a SOBO - snow, mud, bugs, raging streams, etc. This year there was still up to 4 feet of snow in mid May in ME. Weary posted some pics here on WB and the trail was basically impassible. He even posted about a young moose stuck in the snow that had to be rescued around that time.

Just too early though even if the snow depth isn't an issue. As the snow melts the trail turns to mud, the streams are raging making fording very difficult, and the black flies start to emerge. Add that trail maintainers will not have cleared blowdowns or done any other trail maintenance at that point.

Early June would be about the earliest realistic start date in ME, and even then it will likely not be near as nice a SOBO hike compared to waiting until late June or early July to start.

I think many here would advise going NOBO if you must start in May - you'll have 5+ months to finish, and if you start running out of time for some reason you can flip to Katahdin in late August/early September and hike SOBO. Just makes more sense than trying to hike in ME in May(perhaps the absolute worst month to try to hike there).

Blissful
08-23-2008, 21:47
You start SOBO after June. You can still make it NOBO in May but it will take some more effort to make it by Oct 1st (generally the safe time to climb Katahdin, though some have done it later in the month). But you have youth on your side. :)

Pedaling Fool
08-24-2008, 10:50
I summited Oct 14th, perfect day, temps were in the 50s and clear skies. But the night before was damn cold. Got down to about 20 deg; all my water froze solid.

fiddlehead
08-24-2008, 11:24
I started a thru in '95 on May 09. Took a week off when i got to PA.
Still made it to Katahdin by Oct 10.

Either that or wait a month and start a SOBO. IMO.

Lone Wolf
08-24-2008, 11:26
Either that or wait a month and start a SOBO. IMO.

i agree. SOBO is a much better trip anyway

the goat
08-24-2008, 11:29
wait a month, save up some more dough & take your time doing a sobo trip.

Lyle
08-24-2008, 11:37
I headed north from Springer on a section hike on May 15th. I hiked my two weeks with a group of probably 10 or 12 planned thru-hikers. I was surprised that several of the hostels were closed for the season when there were still that many Thru-hikers out there.

Starting the 1st of May still gives you 5 1/2 months to finish by Oct. 15th. I think I would be comfortable starting that late, and I turned 55 today. At 24, you should have no problem.

I would take care not to over-do in an effort to make good time (not needed). I wouldn't want to risk an injury that would require a one or two week recuperation. Such a break could easily be absorbed in your schedule if you started earlier, not quite so easy starting later. Just a thought...

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Panzer1
08-24-2008, 12:34
If your going to start a NOBO in May it better be on May 1st or you will be running a little late. Even then most NOBO's on the trail will be ahead of you giving you less opportunity to make friends.

As The Goat said, maybe it would be best to wait another month and do a SOBO in June with a larger group of SOBO'ers.

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2008, 17:35
You can still go Northbound with a 9 May start if you're disciplined about your town time.

(You'll also not have to worry about snow days and can start with a lighter backpack which may help you gain some time).

If you go Southbound, I'd wait til at least 10 June to start.

Other alternative: Start in May in Georgia, hike to Harpers Ferry (which'll take you 80-90 days). Then jump to Maine and head South. You'll have great weather for August and September, and by the time you're in southern New England, it'll have cooled off a bit. You'll finish in Harpers around early November, and you'll be in West Virginia, not far from your home in Cincinnatti.

And Harpers Ferry is a great place to finish a hike.

Kirby
08-26-2008, 20:51
If your going to flip up to Katahdin at some point, do it from a cool spot on trail. For instance, flip up from, say, Kinsman Notch, and have your hike sybolically end on Moosilauke, an awesome summit.

Please note you can summit Katahdin after the 15th of October, it's just that the logistics become harder and the weather becomes sketchier and the rangers become less willing to to let hikers on the moutain, but it is very much a feasible option.

Kirby

BookBurner
08-27-2008, 18:08
When I re-thru in the future, I won't leave until May, by choice. Carry a light pack, move methodically, and you'll finish in the beautiful September colors with most other heavy haulers who left in late March.

TunnelvisionGAME09
08-27-2008, 19:27
My husband and I are planning a May 09 NOBO. We figure that leaves a fair amount of time.
I wouldn't start from ME until after Father's day - then most black flies are gone as a rule of thumb (of course there are no rules in Baxter when it comes to these guys). A May SOBO start also increases likelihood of snow on the trail and you may need to wait for Hunt to open still depending on the winter. This past May we hit the Grafton Notch loop and there was still snow on the Pates and Old Spec.