PDA

View Full Version : Just one more thing to deal with....

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2008, 19:46
Just got back from Port Clinton with my dog Rugby, As I left north from town to go under the bridge I saw something I could not believe. Some juvenile delinquent broke a bunch of beer bottles both in two areas right on the trail. One pile on the blue blaze & One pile on the white forcing you to walk over it. Rugby didn't get hurt but its one more thing to deal with on the trail. I suspect it was done at the beginning of the year as most of it has been pushed into the mud & hardened.

modiyooch
08-23-2008, 20:17
I commonly saw trash in PA at many of the trailheads and on the trails. It's my belief that this trash comes from PA residents and not visitors or hikers. I have not seen this in an other state.

Aussie922
08-23-2008, 22:23
PA is rocky enough that I keep booties on my dog for most of it. Even when she isn't wearing them, though, I throw them on her when I'm a mile or two from a road crossing because of the glass and other trash. It's a pain, but better safe than sorry.

Plus it is really disappointing to see that on the trail.

Cabin Fever
08-23-2008, 22:32
We have had serious problems at the Bear Branch road crossing just north of US19 in Roan Mountain proper, TN. It was mostly by one guy that evidently claimed his land was stolen by the Cherokee National Forest several years ago. He dumped his trash right on the Trail and was very problematic. The police got him on video tape doing it, but held out to get him on better charges. I think they got him on drugs recently.

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2008, 22:40
Yea I was holding out to start a new thread about that too. Turns out the small parking lot on Blue Mountain Road north of the town is directly visable from 61 and has a lot of car window glass on it with tires and other trash. Safer to park in town or at the locomotive station. Most folks didn't notice the window glass and it was everywhere.

darkage
11-11-2008, 23:54
Yeah, i hike alot during the summers between port clinton and DWG ... its my home section basicly, and i can't count the number of times i've cleaned glass up outta campsites where i was staying ... it is getting outta control .. but always has been a problem ... It would be nice if there was something we could do, but as long as kids wanna party and the A.T remains easy access and supplies a free party spot ... This is gonna continue ... I just got a 4 week old puppy to start coming with me after he gets abit older, but i wasn't even thinking about that kinda hazard ... good tip tho .. shouldn't have to be said, but it does ...

Erin
11-12-2008, 00:03
It is everywhere...at trail heads. We packed out what we could carry. This is not hker trash, but kid trash and careless day hiker/horse people trash. I am amazed at the stuff the horseriders toss off....we have seen them do it, although I think most are pretty respnsible. And what is is with the people that have to break bottles in the fire rings? It is always Jack Daniels too. Whoo hooo.

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2008, 15:29
This is a shame, but how do you know it was done by a "juvenile delinquent?"

First off, most juveniles can't buy beer. And secondly, in my experience, the biggest Trail slobs weren't necessarily younger people.

Some of the worst messes I've seen on or near the Trail were left by folks who were thirty years removed from being juveniles, and some of the most conscientious folks I met in my travels were young kids.

Just sayin'.

darkage
11-12-2008, 17:14
Naa, i see what your saying jack ... my experiance is first hand with the younger guys, late teens partying mostly up at bake oven knob ... I did as a young kid ... and i've been invited while hiking thro on overnights a few times to come down to the party camp .... They don't party on the trail so much as they do about 250 feet at a private campsite back there ... but i know its just as much kids as your right about adults ... Generally its the kids that hide and try to prevent themselves from being seen, meaning there off the trail quite aways .... Adults who think there cool by sloshing themselves up and breaking bottles around a trails campsite is prolly more accurate as i've meet plenty of 30+ peices of crap on the trail .... So yeah, i don't mean to point out the youth in general because there's a ton out there who put there young time and effort into maintaining it also ...

darkage
11-12-2008, 17:17
Regardless whom is doing it, it remains a problem ... and one that is pretty noticable.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 12:47
Jack you floored me on that one, You mean to tell me, you didn't have access to alcohol at 18? I was drinking legally at 16 and illegally at 17. Working full time by 18. Pot, Drugs, Sex & Alcohol was rampant in the 70's and it hasn't changed.

Most folks that get drunk around a trail town that have to hide it from adults are juvenile and damage the woods & trail. Adults are more comfortable around a bar. That doesn't mean AT folk get drunk on the trail, I just doubt they would be the ones breaking the bottles on the trail. When I say I am floored, I know you know better, I didn't have to explain it with this post. You make it sound like you forgot what it was, to grow up. Please do not take that personally. We are just talking here.

Feral Bill
01-07-2009, 15:11
This is a shame, but how do you know it was done by a "juvenile delinquent?"

First off, most juveniles can't buy beer. .

Not legally, but they most certainly can get beer, and do.

Tipi Walter
01-07-2009, 15:17
Yeah, i hike alot during the summers between port clinton and DWG ... its my home section basicly, and i can't count the number of times i've cleaned glass up outta campsites where i was staying ... it is getting outta control .. but always has been a problem ... It would be nice if there was something we could do, but as long as kids wanna party and the A.T remains easy access and supplies a free party spot ... This is gonna continue ... I just got a 4 week old puppy to start coming with me after he gets abit older, but i wasn't even thinking about that kinda hazard ... good tip tho .. shouldn't have to be said, but it does ...

"Easy access" about says it all. Sure, there's trash on trails miles back, but alot of the stuff spawns not far from the holy automobile.

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 15:53
The shame is... somebody did this. No one apparently knows who did it, so speculating is pretty silly.

I have picked up my share of beer bottles off of the AT. Mostly at Fitzgerald Falls in NY where I have brought out many hundreds of broken and intact bottles. That's an area to be careful if you have a dog with you.

Folks, carry an empty garbage bag with you if you feel so inspired. You never know when you might encounter some trash begging to be carried out.

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 15:54
duplicate post

inavacuum
01-07-2009, 23:42
. Pot, Drugs, Sex & Alcohol was rampant in the 70's and it hasn't changed.

Love how Pot is listed separately from drugs :cool:

But seriously, I see stuff like that all the time. Growing up, my neighborhood was the only one in the area and was surrounded by a large patch of woods that has, or rather had, a beautiful creek running through it. All the older kids in the neighborhood were always sneaking off in the woods smoking cigarettes or drinking and what not. Its definitely reasonable to say that most older people would rather sit in their own home or local watering hole and gulp down some beers than trek their lazy asses back into the AT.

Gaiter
01-08-2009, 03:21
most broken glass will be near roads or campsites/shelters really close to roads.... so make sure your dog is close by as you approach a road... i've carried my dog around and guided her around broken glass.... she's only 50lbs though... add in my pack and her pack then it adds up

shelterbuilder
01-08-2009, 09:56
We've had problems at the parking lots and road crossings for YEARS - from broken beer bottles to household trash to burned-out cars - it's tough to keep up with it all. I know for a fact that the State Police patrol these areas when they can, but they have to actually CATCH the culprit(s) in the act. :(

We encourage folks to carry an extra trash bag, too, but understandably, when most folks are out hiking, they want to hike, not pick up other people's trash.

Lyle
01-08-2009, 11:36
Naa, i see what your saying jack ... my experiance is first hand with the younger guys, late teens partying mostly up at bake oven knob ... I did as a young kid ... and i've been invited while hiking thro on overnights a few times to come down to the party camp ....

I agree with BJ, but can attest to the above also.

One of the most appreciated incidents of trail magic I've experienced was on Bake Oven Knob. 90+ degrees, hot sun, humid, little H2O available. Met a group of 14,15, 16 year-olds as I was climbing up. They gave me an ice-cold beer from their cooler - probably the best tasting beer I've ever had, enjoyed up top. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but that one sure hit the spot.

I've also witnessed some unbelievable trash and broken glass along the trail as it heads north out of Port Clinton. This has been a major problem for many years.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 21:56
We've had problems at the parking lots and road crossings for YEARS - from broken beer bottles to household trash to burned-out cars - it's tough to keep up with it all. I know for a fact that the State Police patrol these areas when they can, but they have to actually CATCH the culprit(s) in the act. :(

We encourage folks to carry an extra trash bag, too, but understandably, when most folks are out hiking, they want to hike, not pick up other people's trash.

You and I know that the parking lot is 1/2 a mile and in direct view from passing State Troopers and the station. They are useless when it comes to stuff just around the station.