PDA

View Full Version : Water NY 17A to CT line

gumball
08-24-2008, 08:15
Any updates on the water availability between this stretch would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Gum

Homer&Marje
08-24-2008, 08:52
You might have a dry spring at William Brien shelter, 20 mi NoBo of 17A, guidebook suggests if your gonna stay there to stop at Tiorti Circle and fill up, or do your cooking there at one of the picnic tables, will save you in case the spring is dry

Cookerhiker
08-24-2008, 08:55
I would think water would be reliable at Fitzgerald Falls, Dennytown Rd. (spigot), and the brook approaching RPH Shelter. But I haven't hiked NY in late August.

sasquatch2014
08-24-2008, 19:08
I was just at Telephone Pioneer Shelter today and the stream is down to just a few puddles so you need to camel up at Nuclear Lake. if you are NoBo or the Purple house by the Dover Oak if you are SoBo.

karoberts
08-24-2008, 19:39
I passed that way in late July and Fitzgerald Falls was a smelly trickle.

halfnatural
08-28-2008, 22:25
We just returned and only went so far as 17A to the RPH shelter. Other than the spigot at the Dennytown campsite and the water right before RPH shelter, it was literally bone dry. Gumball (my wife) got off after the 2nd day--she'd been stung several times in the face area on the first day, fell down on the second day and had a small knee injury. She and our other hiker's wife met us at various trailheads with water--otherwise, it would have been a pretty difficult trip.

LIhikers
08-29-2008, 11:59
You should also be able to get water at Tiorati Circle and Bear Mountain State Park.

MOWGLI
08-29-2008, 12:32
I would think water would be reliable at Fitzgerald Falls, Dennytown Rd. (spigot), and the brook approaching RPH Shelter. But I haven't hiked NY in late August.

Fitzgerald Falls dries up every summer - and can't be counted on.