PDA

View Full Version : Wapiti Shelter

papa john
03-08-2004, 18:20
I noticed that there are no pictures of this shelter. Other than the obvious reason for this are there other reasons there are no photos of this shelter?

Papa John

MOWGLI
03-08-2004, 18:32
I noticed that there are no pictures or discussion about this shelter. Other than the obvious reason for this are there other reasons there are no photos of this shelter?

Papa John

What I recall most vividly about this shelter, is it's close proximity to a nice little pond. The morning walk leading up to the shelter was a very easy one, and a very pleasant one. I had lunch there and moved on.

Sweet Virginia!

papa john
03-08-2004, 18:41
I saw that on a USGS arial photo. You didn't go in for a dip?

MOWGLI
03-08-2004, 19:16
I saw that on a USGS arial photo. You didn't go in for a dip?

I swam at the swimming hole about 6-8 miles south of there the night before, so I was swum out. It was early im May anyway, so it wasn't too warm.

A-Train
03-08-2004, 19:33
nice shelter and a very pretty area around it. Took a long break there on a long slackpack to Pearisburg. Probably a place i'll try to stay at next time. There was a murder there in 1984. Maybe thats why no one wants to take a pic.... :confused:

papa john
03-08-2004, 20:22
That's why I was wondering, actually there were 2 murders, a man and a woman who had been hiking together.

I did find some pictures on another website, maybe I can find the original owner and ask permission to post them here.

Footslogger
03-12-2004, 15:24
Might be because it's a tad small and somewhat unmemorable. On the other hand, what I do remember vividly were all the stream crossings leading up to that shelter. Another memory permanently etched into my subconscious was the tree branch that stuck into the ground like a javelin, about 6 inches from my tent. Lot's of trees around that shelter and high likelihood of falling branches in windy weather.

Kerosene
09-05-2005, 19:24
Basic 6-person design with a picnic table and fire pit in the large front yard. Easy walk up a small hill from the Trail, where the fast-rushing creek serves as the water source.

There is a nice tent site by a bend in the creek about a quarter mile south, and a field just north of the shelter (is this where the pond is???).

Whistler
09-05-2005, 21:08
There is a nice tent site by a bend in the creek about a quarter mile south, and a field just north of the shelter (is this where the pond is???).Decent campsites all around the shelter, as well as some woodpeckers in June 05. If I recall correctly, the pond is just a short bit north. I was surprised to see it, and larger than I expected.
-Mark

Kerosene
09-06-2005, 10:08
I can't edit my earlier post...

I now recall that the "bend in the creek" was actually the swimming pond, just south of the shelter. I was surprised to find it here also, and would have stopped there for a swim instead of resting at the shelter if I had known (I was hiking SOBO).

Alligator
09-06-2005, 10:16
I can't edit my earlier post...

I now recall that the "bend in the creek" was actually the swimming pond, just south of the shelter. I was surprised to find it here also, and would have stopped there for a swim instead of resting at the shelter if I had known (I was hiking SOBO).
South of the shelter there was a small pond, looked to be man-made, deeper than it should be naturally. When I passed through, 11/2000, it had a greenish tint to it. The tint seemed like it could be from minerals (maybe something with copper?), not from algae. Seemed like plenty of flat space too.

magic_game03
09-06-2005, 11:41
though it is average size it has an overhang that extends quite a ways out. very memorable to me because I pulled in there in late feb in a downpour and even the heavy rain and mist didn't breach the perimeter. Also this shelter was beautifully created by the local forestery service with local hand-hewed logs. it is sad that within weeks of it's creation such a ghastly occurence would stigmatize it.

Lone Wolf
09-06-2005, 11:43
Yup. Double murder.

Kerosene Charlie
09-07-2005, 12:34
If I recall, the murders took palce at the original Wapiti Shelter, somewhat south and almost on the gravel road that comes up the valley. There was a blue blaze trail, at one time, that cut over to it. That shelter has since been torn down. Does that sound right?
Kerosene Charlie

papa john
09-07-2005, 13:33
There is some controversy about that. In the book, they talk about how the new shelter had just been built and how the soon-to-be-murdered girl had talked to one of the volunteers that had been up there working on the shelter.

FWIW, according to WF, he says it was at the old shelter.

BlackCloud
05-23-2006, 07:18
There is some controversy about that. In the book, they talk about how the new shelter had just been built and how the soon-to-be-murdered girl had talked to one of the volunteers that had been up there working on the shelter.

FWIW, according to WF, he says it was at the old shelter.

Who is WF?

I recall the same from the book.....

papa john
05-23-2006, 08:37
WF is Wingfoot.

magic_game03
05-23-2006, 09:22
I belive WF is wrong ( ...but then so could I.) I stayed at a Perisburg trail angels house in '03, '04, '05 and on the last year It just so happened that that one of the builders was there and she recounted the story to me. As it goes the Forestry Service was in charge of building the shelter (I'm not sure what part the ATC had if any) so they cut local trees and what not to build the shelter. They were happy with their construction as I'm sure anyone who builds one would be and when they finished after a couple of weeks they all got together to take a group photo. In the next few days the couple was murdered. A kind of manhunt went on to recount who saw who in that area by anyone and names were taken. After the previously mentioned photo was developed one of the workers noticed a face in the group that didn't belong...it was the murderer!!!!

this story is almost as wild as J.D.'s (a missing '05 PCT hiker) pack being found this year in San Jaciento by two lost day hikers who live on it for three days but doesn't have a good ending as such. also one other footnote, they belive there were two murderers but they could only pin it on the one guy.

magic_game03
05-23-2006, 09:27
I belive WF is wrong ( ...but then so could I.) I stayed at a Perisburg trail angels house in '03, '04, '05 and on the last year It just so happened that that one of the builders was there and she recounted the story to me. As it goes the Forestry Service was in charge of building the shelter (I'm not sure what part the ATC had if any) so they cut local trees and what not to build the shelter. They were happy with their construction as I'm sure anyone who builds one would be and when they finished after a couple of weeks they all got together to take a group photo. In the next few days the couple was murdered. A kind of manhunt went on to recount who saw who in that area by anyone and names were taken. After the previously mentioned photo was developed one of the workers noticed a face in the group that didn't belong...it was the murderer!!!!

this story is almost as wild as J.D.'s (a missing '05 PCT hiker) pack being found this year in San Jaciento by two lost day hikers who live on it for three days but doesn't have a good ending as such. also one other footnote, they belive there were two murderers but they could only pin it on the one guy.

BlackCloud
05-30-2006, 07:19
Finally got to see the lay of the land of the double murder.

Wapiti II is small, comfortably fitting only 5. Good thing there was plenty of room for the 8 tents that camped out.

I was trying to figure out which way Randall Lee (the murderer) came in, but agree that that trail is no longer maintained.

Water source is very good....

veteran
11-03-2006, 13:14
Wapiti Shelter Photo. (http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/trailjournals/2828/tj2828%5F071205%5F14270628.jpg)

g8trh8tr
11-03-2006, 23:44
I remember this shelter well...During my section hike in 05 it was pouring down rain, when I got up to the shelter there was a couple there..Well lets just say they were getting to know each other on a very personal level!...Interesting encounter I must say. I also recall there was a large black snake that had made the privy his personal dwelling.

RAT
11-04-2006, 00:32
Yes gruesome murder there. And yes there are pics of it here in the WB gallery I remember seeing them and one has our hero Pirate in it ! Wasnt there once a Wapiti one and Wapiti two ? maybe I was just stoned when I went thru there ,,,,,

RAT

Lone Wolf
11-04-2006, 04:01
Yes there was a Wapiti one shelter. Was torn down early 90s I think.

RAT
11-04-2006, 04:03
Thanks Wolf, glad to know I wasnt imagining things ;-) So I do have some brain cells left,, kewl !

RAT

Lone Wolf
11-04-2006, 04:06
I remember coming upon Wapiti 1 back in 86 thinking that was where the murder took place so I went on to Wapiti 2 to stay. Found out later the murder happened at W 2.

RAT
11-04-2006, 04:07
LOL isnt that our luck ? Wish I was there right now.

RAT

Quiet Chuck
07-19-2007, 14:58
I remember staying at Wapiti Shelter in 82 on my AT hike. the one I stayed at was on a hill ovelooking a woods, forest road about 100' down from the front. This I beleve is Wapiti I, don't know if they were building the new one then or the next year. I can vouch for the fact that the one I stated at was haunted. The felling of being watched, the strange sounds, the cold feeling you get.
It wasn't until the next year that I found out about those murders. All I know it was one of my strangest nites on the AT. Haven't forgoten it.

And that's all I have to say about that Forrest Gump

Brushy Sage
07-19-2007, 19:25
When I stayed there in 2002 I could see some human activity as I looked up through the woods in front of the shelter. I made my way up there so I would know what was going on before I bedded down for the night. Turns out there was an open field up there, and some local people were getting ready to camp there. They had come in by some other route. So there is an approach to the area that doesn't involve using the AT.

Marta
07-19-2007, 19:33
Here's another photo:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=196557

Marta/Five-Leaf

Cookerhiker
07-19-2007, 20:44
Here's another one:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=79620

Rick Hancock
08-11-2007, 17:26
I spent the night here on my 1980 thru-hike, I remember it was very near a gravel fire road, several vehicles traveled by during the night. The following year, May 1981 2 hikers were killed here. Robert Mountford, a thru-hiker and Susan Ramsey, hiking with Mountford for a few weeks (in fact she was to end her hike within a few days) Ramsey was hiking ahead of Mountford and arrived at the shelter to find Randall Lee Smith, while there a group of trail workers hiked in they took a picture of Susan but according to the book Randall Smith didn't want his picture taken, they left and the rest is speculation. Smith may or may not have come back during day light, they may have tried to feed/ talk to him he was a troubled person and theyworked with troubled people. Most feel he returned after dark and shot Mountford twice in the head, Susan apparently fought him to some degree but was beat with a piece of rebar and stabbed several times. They were buried a short distance away in sepperate areas and weren't reported missing for I think a week or so, a cadaver dog found them and Smith was captured in Myrtle Beach, S.C. a short while later. Evidence was slim a partial bloody print on a book, some of their gear was found some remained missing. Smith was found guilty and served time (I think 5/8 years and was released) he lived in a small community on the outskirts of Perisburg. Quite a few hikers protested his release including Warren Doyle. I believe the shelter was torn down and a new one was built nearby. There was another shelter a few miles north of there in 80/81 I seem to recall that a fellow hiker spent the night there and reported hearing nothing. These are the facts as I remember them.Rick

Deb
08-12-2007, 10:22
5-8 years for a double murder?
That is disturbing.

Quiet Chuck
08-12-2007, 13:51
Excellent info Rick. Thank you

Rick Hancock
08-12-2007, 15:17
Checked my trail journal but could not find my old Guide Book from 1980. I only remember 1 shelter in 80' but there was another further north before Angels Rest and Pearisburg. Could have been Docs Knob? Mountford and Ramsey were at Wapiti II a new shelter. Some feel that Randall Smith did not act alone but there was no proof. Evidence was circumstantial and he pled quilty to 2nd degree murder. 15 years each charge for a total of 30 years but I don't think he served a great amount of time. I seem to recall he had 6/8 parol hearings then I heard he was released appx 1995/1996. A buddy of mine he thru-hiked in 1987 lived in the pearisburg area and knew him slightly said he was weird. Don't know what became of Smith after his release.

Rick Hancock
08-12-2007, 15:21
Forgot to tally but he only spent 14/15 years in prison I was mistaken about the number of years, but 14/15 still isn't alot! I quess I was mistaken due to the years flying by so fast, seems like just yesterday that I thru hiked and not 27 years ago.

Deb
08-13-2007, 09:24
Thanks Rick.
I agree, 14-15 years in prison is not a lot for murdering two innocent people.

BlackCloud
08-15-2007, 20:28
The last people to see the girl alive were USFS trail crew members who were building Wapiti II. Murders occurred @ Wapiti I. The deceased even had a USFS member take her picture w/ Randall Lee as she may have known trouble was brewing. Randall Lee is a dark figure in the back of the picture who didn't want his likeness taken.

The bodies were not found until Randall Lee told police where to find them. There is NO DOUBT he killed that couple, and extremely unlikely there were other players. Randall Lee was/is not a bright man. Criminals rarely are able to fabricate a complete story w/o police poking holes in it. His admissions and confession created a complete picture of those events.

Read the book, it is worthwhile......

Rick Hancock
08-16-2007, 13:56
Blackcloud, with all due respect I think you should go back and check your facts, you are off base on several items. True the last people to see Susan were the 5 party work crew, she WAS at Wapiti II. I spent the night at Wapiti I the year before and II wasn't built yet. The female worker took several pictures and Randall Lee Smith stayed in the background. Wapiti II was a new shelter almost brand new. The workers had been doing trail maintenance on the AT and stopped in on their way out. After they left Bob Mountford arrived and as I mentioned above the rest is speculation. It seems as though they tried to befriend/help Randall, they were both accustomed to working with disturbed people. This was Tue. May 19th that night they were killed apparently by Smith. Mountford was shot in the head 2/3 times, it appeared that Susan fought her attacker in vain. She was stabbed several times and beaten with a piece of rebar that was later found in the firepit it matched skull depressions but any evidence was burned off. Susan's remains were found on Sat May 30th by a cadaver dog and Mountford was found the following day Sun May 31st. there were over 100 people searching the area's. Randall Smith's truck was found on June 7th on the edge of a swampy area in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. There were no plates and the truck was wiped clean. When police entered the truck they used the vin number to trace it to Pearisburg, Va. and to Randall Lee Smith there was a cryptic message on the dash seemed to be part current/future and part past. On June 22 Smith was caught in the swamp he was covered in bug bites, dehydrated, and unresponsive as to time and place. He was returned to Pearisburg a few days later. In the mean time investigators had searched his mother's house and found items in a basement area that were blood stained and some that apparently belonged to the 2 hikers. Other items were recovered in the woods near Wapiti II including a book Susan was reading with a bloody print that matched Smith's. There was a lack of hard evidence proving that Smith actually commited the crimes (murder weapons, etc) but there was enough proof that he was there and knew something, he played dumb through the whole trial and then pled guilty to second degree at his Lawyers advice. He received 15 years for each murder for a 30 year total but as I mentioned above he was released after appx 14/15 years and 8/9 parol hearings where he was turned down. The Jess Carr book "Murder On THe Appalachian Trail" is the only book I'm aware of that was written about this crime. I saw one picture of Susan and Robert and I believe a grainy newspaper shot of her and Smith taken by the Forestry worker. Oddly enough Smith worked for a short while at Newport News Ship Building in Newport News, Va. and I saw the Warwick Motel where he stayed. My buddy who lived in Pearisburg and knew of Smith said some of the towns people got a good laugh at how Smith beat the system, he was guilty, everyone knew he was guilty, but they could not prove it BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT! Some think he had a another person with him, I don't think so. I believe he was in the area for several days and chanced upon these 2 hikers and waited until dark to strike. It was never proven if he raped Ramsey her remains were too decomposed. He never led the searchers to the remains, he was caught after they were found. And true he was not very bright. Low IQ, no social skills, etc. I spend a lot of time on the trail to this day and once or twice I have had a bad vibe when meeting a supposed hiker at a shelter. I always go with my gut feeling and even though I'm a male I do not volunteer info about my plans if I meet strangers at a trail head or in the woods. As I mention no disrespect but some of your facts were not correct. Rick Hancock

chief
08-16-2007, 15:57
Since you're gonna nit pick, I know of no state where you have to prove a case BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT. Beyond "reasonable doubt" will do just fine.

Rick Hancock
08-16-2007, 18:39
I wasn't trying to nor did I "nitpick" I simply gave factual info and corrected Blackclouds errors. I thought he might appreciate having the proper facts in the event he is ever in the backcountry and the subject comes up around the campfire. I know that there have been several times that this has happened on trips I've been on and I don't start the conversations trying to be a know-it-all I simply tell what I know to be accurate. He listed several items that were totally in error and not once did I offer criticism or speak in a belitting fashion. When I said GUILTY BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT I was trying to make a point regarding the scarcity of HARD EVIDENCE. Remember O.J.? the glove fit fine but when you splay your fingers apart when you try it on it will never fit! Blackcloud, if you happen to read this please understand that I meant no disrespect toward you,according to your profile you are a young guy, I'm 52 but remember this case vividly due to the fact that I camped at Wapiti I in 1980. On my thru hike I did meet a few weird characters, 1 on the hike up Blood Mt. in Georgia, and another north of Harpers Ferry near PenMar I think it was at Pleasent Valley crossing, not sure. Anyway, he was caught and served his sentence such as it was. I don't know what became of Smith after his release he would be around mid 50 now. I believe he returned to Giles County. Sincerely, Rick Hancock

Deb
08-16-2007, 20:50
Rick, your post was the most complete and factual information I have read on the Wapati murders. Thanks.
It's a subject that haunts many of us.

Rick Hancock
08-17-2007, 14:57
Thanks for your kind words. I notice you are from Hudson, N.Y. my wife is from a little town called Amsterdam, N.Y. home town of Kirk Douglas.You are correct the 1981 events do still haunt many people. I've met people who spent the night at Wapiti II, before it was removed. Although many did not know anything had happened there they still felt a "presence". We should all be thankful that we have the A.T. to enjoy but we all need to always be prepared.Rick

Hikerhead
08-17-2007, 18:31
It would be nice to see a recent picture of this POS since he is living back in he area now.

gypsy
08-19-2007, 09:58
I remember when I camped there in 2000 I had creepy vibes when I approached that area. Then, Wolf informed me about the murders that occured there. Wierd...

BlackCloud
08-19-2007, 15:36
Get busy for a few days and this place goes nuts.

Ok, my recollection from "the book" was that the murders occurred in Wapiti I, not II, as it was nearer the road and the pond. I am moving right now & have no clue where the book is. Whatever.

As for my "NO DOUBT" comment, that was an opinion, not a fact. To expound upon my opinion, I do not believe that an objective, rational person looking at the evidence could conclude that anyone other then Randall Lee Smith killed those people. There is no credible evidence indicating anyone else.

Now let's talk about evidence. There are two kinds: direct, and circumstancial. The term "hard evidence" is a colloquilism for direct evidence. Examples of hard evidence in a murder case would include: a murder weapon (gun), a video of the murder, and/or a confession (didn't he confess, I can't remember). Circumstancial evidence would include a video of the defendant and the deceased walking together 30 minutes before the murder, testimony as to the defendant's possible motive, and/or possessions (clothes) of the deceased in the defendant's possession after the murder (like in Randall Lee's house).

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled, and I believe more then once, that a capital murder conviction can be had solely on circumstantial evidence. In fact, many (most?) "white collar" cases only involve circumstantial evidence.

So the notion that Randall Lee's conviction is somehow suspect on the grounds that the evidence only included bloody clothes, bullet holes of a caliber from a gun Randall Lee was known to own, and a confession of the defendant is without merit. Let's not even get into the circumstantial evidence of him fleeing to Norfolk to elude capture.

Finally, every element of every crime must be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt". All attempts to define that phrase short of indicating that it is less than "No doubt" and more then "a preponderance of the evidence" have been struck down as unconstitutional.

And despite my age, I am an attorney, so I just might have a clue on this stuff....

Rick Hancock
08-19-2007, 17:00
This will be my last post concerning the 1981 murders at Wapiti II. Blackcloud, before I begin, did you read my post? Did you understand that I meant no disrespect toward you? Heck I don't know you! Before I begin however, I do need to make one correction (here I go again) Randall Smith did not flee to Norfolk, Va. that area is north and east of Pearisburg he fled to Myrtle Beach, S.C. south and east of Pearisburg. Sorry.I agree with you 100% he was guilty, I know it, you know it, the judge knew it, the lawyers knew it, the jury, the town of Pearisburg, the man selling peanuts on the corner, they all knew it. But the evidence was all circumstantial, by some twist of fate this loser with his low IQ and lack of social skills was able to plead to a lesser sentence. And while he served time I don't believe he served enough time for killing two innocent people. I to included info that was in error. I stated that he lived at the Warwick Motel while working at Newport News Ship Building in Newport News, Va. He actually stayed at the Colony Hotel (both have been torn down). Anyway I hope to see you on the trail someday. Rick

thecaptain
08-19-2007, 19:19
I must after reading all replies to this thread add the following:
1. I have lived in Giles County all my life but for four long years in the USMC
2. Smith lived in a very very small house with his mother (Easy to search)
3. The 1st search of his house the law found nothing
4. Only searching the second time did the law find anything (read into that what you like)
5. Almost every male of Smith's age in this county own one or more firearms
6. Riding thru the mountains and visiting the near-by pond was common for many residents
7. I also think Smith did it but a conviction was going to be diffucult
The Captain

BlackCloud
08-20-2007, 17:58
Now that we're all in agreement, if anyone finds info about Smith's whereabouts today,

by all means.........

DesertMTB
05-09-2008, 14:23
Now that we're all in agreement, if anyone finds info about Smith's whereabouts today,

by all means.........

Too late

Thangfish
02-15-2009, 22:32
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29187510/

LBJ
02-15-2009, 22:53
Everybody know what happened to Randall Smith now?

Rain Man
02-16-2009, 10:15
Everybody know what happened to Randall Smith now?

He went to his reward last year. Discussed in this other thread on WB--
Randall Lee Smith reported dead (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36764&highlight=randall+lee+smith)

Was on Dateline MSNBC last evening.

Rain Man

Smile
02-16-2009, 10:33
I watched a TV show on Dateline on this last night,oops, just read the above post, never mind! :)

Smile
02-16-2009, 10:33
Double post, sorry. :)

Tipi Walter
02-16-2009, 11:01
I remember staying at Wapiti Shelter in 82 on my AT hike. the one I stayed at was on a hill ovelooking a woods, forest road about 100' down from the front. This I beleve is Wapiti I, don't know if they were building the new one then or the next year.

Forrest Gump

I spent the night here on my 1980 thru-hike, I remember it was very near a gravel fire road, several vehicles traveled by during the night. The following year, May 1981 2 hikers were killed here.

My theory is that these type of incidents happen in fairly close proximity to roads. Just a theory.

The Scribe
02-16-2009, 12:26
5-8 years for a double murder?
That is disturbing.

He got 7.5 years for each murder. Served 15 I believe.

The Scribe
02-16-2009, 12:31
Since you're gonna nit pick, I know of no state where you have to prove a case BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT. Beyond "reasonable doubt" will do just fine.

The Dateline transcript I read (darn, I didn't know this was on) indicated that the prosecution reached a plea bargain with Smith before it ever went to trial. The officer that led the investigation was not happy. He was told there were too many holes in the case.

JP
02-16-2009, 13:16
I remember coming upon Wapiti 1 back in 86 thinking that was where the murder took place so I went on to Wapiti 2 to stay. Found out later the murder happened at W 2.
Lone Wolf in a shelter??? Say it isnt true!

ASUGrad
03-03-2009, 17:34
We stopped in at Wapiti on Saturday. It looks really nice but there is lots of trash near/in the fire ring.

Pringles
06-18-2009, 19:54
I was there a couple of days ago, and the pond's dam appears to have washed out. There was orange fence all around the pond and little water in it. It rained pretty hard most of the night and the shelter stayed dry, for which I was thankful. Pringles

ridgerunninrat81
09-08-2009, 01:32
Smith was released from prison then shot 2 more hikers and died in jail.

Two Speed
09-08-2009, 09:22
Technically Smith's last victims were fishermen, not hikers, but yeah, he shot two more people after being released.

Berserker
01-11-2012, 14:14
Other than the mystique of this area due to its history as documented in the posts above, this is a neat area. The shelter is located on a "bench" with lots of level area for setting up tents. I just stayed at this shelter this past weekend, so it being January all the leaves were off the trees. It made it nice and open, and a full moon really lit the area up.

One negative thing is that the picnic table in front of the shelter has been vandalized. There were four boards that made up the table portion, and one of those boards appears to have been torn off and made into a bench near the fire pit.

Double-D
05-25-2012, 07:48
Stayed here one night last week. There is a brand new picnic table and some of the old planks have been used to set up seats around the fire pit. Plenty of water in this section.

LoneRidgeRunner
11-19-2017, 16:36
I stayed at Wapiti during a section hike from US 19E to Daleville which I am still doing as I am zeroing at Angel's Rest in Pearisburg, VA right now. I stayed there on Thursday night. I was definitely creeped out by noises not normally heard in the woods including a faint groaning sound and a faint sound of a woman's scream. I will NEVER stay there again but I made it through the night with my marbles still in place. I had read in a post of August 20, 2017 by a user on Guthooks that the shelter was haunted just an hour before my arrival I passed it off as BS but it was NOT BULL****. Definitely something not right going on there.

LoneRidgeRunner
11-19-2017, 16:47
I was told today that the killer shot 2 more who barely survived and died from injuries he sustained while crashing his vehicle trying to escape police while in jail. This was several years after his release from prison for the Wapiti murders.

Draggin Anchor
02-21-2019, 12:11
The pond is actually just a short walk south.

Draggin Anchor
02-21-2019, 12:12
You are exactly right!

Five Tango
02-21-2019, 16:47
I actually saw this case report today on the ID(investigation discovery) channel.As I recall from the program,he served 15 years and was released,shot the two fisherman at some point after that,and died as a result of a blood clot from injuries incurred while fleeing law enforcement in the truck he stole from one of the fishermen.

At some point they commented that he lived with his mother except for when he went to the national forest to hunt arrowheads.Police did find bloody clothing from the murders in his living space so there is ZERO doubt that he was responsible for the crime.In the second crime,one of the fishermen identified him from a picture on a poster put out by local sheriffs department so there is ZERO doubt he shot the fishermen.

Slo-go'en
02-21-2019, 19:49
The only problem with the Wapiti shelter is it's too close to some horse trails and the horse riders often go there and trash the place. Come on, your on a damn horse, take your empty beer cans and trash with you!

tdoczi
02-21-2019, 20:44
The only problem with the Wapiti shelter is it's too close to some horse trails and the horse riders often go there and trash the place. Come on, your on a damn horse, take your empty beer cans and trash with you!
that whole stretch of trail is just strange. and not in a good way. anyone have any idea why its down in a muddy swamp with a horse trail instead of up on the ridge? was it ever?

FlyPaper
02-22-2019, 16:09
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17914602@N00/8385665218/

JPritch
01-07-2020, 18:42
that whole stretch of trail is just strange. and not in a good way. anyone have any idea why its down in a muddy swamp with a horse trail instead of up on the ridge? was it ever?
I'm convinced the entire region is the epicenter of some weird vortex of evil or something. It's damn beautiful, but there has been a lot of tragedy for what is kind of a remote region.