PDA

View Full Version : Wet Dog? what do you do....

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2008, 12:06
I just took a old Mickey Mouse yellow poncho and with some duct tape & sissors I made someting that is open & keeps the rain off... Hasn't rained in two weeks here. but its something to add to his pack. What do you folks do? Short of hiking with a water assorbing towel.... Any thoughts?

superman
08-24-2008, 13:02
I used garbage bags on Winter when it rained. She didn't mind being wet so much as she didn't care much for the rain in her eyes. So I shifted the garbage bag forward until it formed a hood over her head. Her pack held the garbage bag in place. I don't recall ever using a towel on either of us when we were wet. Instead, I opened my rectangular 20 degree down sleeping bag and covered both of us. Winter automatically cuddled right up against me in those situations. In no time at all Winter's heat made us warm and comfy. In the morning Winter looked like she'd been washed and fluff dried.

Mercy
08-24-2008, 21:56
I carry a cheap, fake chamois cloth to dry her off. A small one can quickly be wrung out again and again. I use them a lot.. we live on the water and swim a lot. We each carry one when backpacking. The dog's also gets used to wipe the tent off in the morning, or clean up the mud we've tracked in.

I haven't yet figured an effective rain coat.

Aussie922
08-24-2008, 22:08
I used to have a poncho for my dog. It was real lightweight- the same material as the disposable people ponchos. Can't remember where I got it but I know that they make them. If you can't find one of those, there are raincoats as well. I'm not sure how heavy they are, although they might be worth checking out. I know that PetEdge carries them, JB Wholesale probably has them, or Petsmart or Petco might even have them (though you'll pay about 4x as much through them).

I do the same thing with the fake chamois. I actually use one that is about 18x18- she sleeps on it at night as well, to protect the bottom of the tent. You could probably get away with a much smaller one if all you are using it for is to dry off.

Jager
08-25-2008, 01:33
Wet Dog? what do you do....

Generally nothing. It's been a wet summer here, and we've wound up hiking in the rain on several occasions. Fionn, being half husky, seems to enjoy the coolness.

Regards,
J.

Valentine
08-25-2008, 10:27
So as I have experienced it the dog needs to stay warm. Some wet dogs will chill quickly when you stop. Had to cover mine up with a fleece vest during a rainy July day near Springer Mtn.
Keeping them dry is a challenge as water from the trail soaks their underside. There are (I never thought I would buy dog clothing) commercially made jackets- fleece lined with nylon cover.
Even if they do have a rain jacket of some sort you are going to need a towel if they sleep with you- muddy feet.:-?

leeki pole
08-25-2008, 10:39
I've got one of those shammies that the Olympic divers use to dry off, they're kind of pricey but work great and dry fast. I think I spent about 8 bucks on it but it's lasted 3 years.

Skyline
08-25-2008, 10:44
My dog "Savannah" (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15474&catid=536) will have no part of clothing while hiking or anywhere else. She abhors sweaters and would never stand for wearing rain gear. A shammy-type pack towel helps dry her off, however.

She does, however, carry a saddlebag-type pack into which goes all her gear, food, water--and her tent. Yep, a tent! I found one a couple years ago on the internet, made by Coleman. It's a real, freestanding tent complete with some small poles, made for medium-sized dogs or smaller, or possibly munchkins. Weighs about 1.5 lbs. I think.

Unfortunately, smart as Savannah is, she hasn't quite got the knack for putting up her own tent. At least that's her story. I think she's just being lazy. :rolleyes:

NICKTHEGREEK
08-25-2008, 11:02
I just took a old Mickey Mouse yellow poncho and with some duct tape & sissors I made someting that is open & keeps the rain off... Hasn't rained in two weeks here. but its something to add to his pack. What do you folks do? Short of hiking with a water assorbing towel.... Any thoughts?
Hike with a lab or a GSP, they love being wet.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-25-2008, 11:21
the one asking if a dog raincoat is heavy ... answer is yes (with regard to hiking anyway). Mine had that and try not to laugh too hard but a real coat as well. He hated both but being small and in snow/cold rain when I lived in Canada ... he learned to appreciate the 'warmth' but hated the hood ... it just would not stay on while hiking or just walking. So I just got the snow balls off his fur eventually instead and for rain dried him with a towel ... he hated the 'cloths'.

Does anyone else's dog run WILD when you give him a bath (at home I mean) .. mine went banana's after a bath before dried, lol.

BobTheBuilder
08-25-2008, 11:27
My chocolate lab is the sweetest dog I've ever had, but aside from the fact that she would steal everybody's food and get me universally hated, I would never consider hiking with her for this exact reason. She loves the rain (and any puddle or stream we pass), and there's no way I'm letting a 90-lb wet dog in my tent, much less in my sleeping bag. Even hikers gotta have their standards.

SteveJ
08-25-2008, 11:39
Phoebe's a sibe, and sheds water with just a shake. On one of her first backpacking trips, I put the yellow raincoate I bought for her at PetSmart - she hated it (I don't think that it helped that we were with a group of boy scouts and they kept laughing at her!). I figured out that, even if she's soaked through to the undercoat, she dries quickly - I just try to make sure not to be in range when she shakes....

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2008, 11:54
the one asking if a dog raincoat is heavy ... answer is yes (with regard to hiking anyway). Mine had that and try not to laugh too hard but a real coat as well. He hated both but being small and in snow/cold rain when I lived in Canada ... he learned to appreciate the 'warmth' but hated the hood ... it just would not stay on while hiking or just walking. So I just got the snow balls off his fur eventually instead and for rain dried him with a towel ... he hated the 'cloths'.

Does anyone else's dog run WILD when you give him a bath (at home I mean) .. mine went banana's after a bath before dried, lol.

Yea that's their idea of drying off - heats the muscles.

karoberts
08-25-2008, 15:12
It's a dog, it's not going to melt in the rain! I got wet and the dog got wet too! If he was drenched, I made him sleep UNDER the shelter (if there was room) and he liked that a lot. But whatever you do, never let a wet dog IN a shelter!

Here he is on the trail wet. http://picasaweb.google.com/cchayden/CarrieAT/photo#5227360863196671234

Animal Cracker
08-25-2008, 15:40
There is no need for a dog to wear a rain coat. Wolves, coyotes, and wild dogs do fine without them. Most dogs seem embarrased when subjected to "people clothes."

If you want to dry your dog when your done for the day, the "Sammy" towel is great. Super absorbant and rings right out without feeling wet. It is referenced earlier in the thread without name. (The one divers use.)

Gaiter
08-25-2008, 15:56
multi functional tyvek: tent ground cloth/dogbed/dog raincoat/laundry skirt
it wouldn't cover her head, but i'd rig it to her pack using straps on the pack and it would cover majority of her body, had part of one of those super absorbent camp towels for drying her paws...
also my dog is a bit of a diva, doesn't like to get her paws wet, won't poop in her own yard, loves wearing clothes/dogpack (who knew she would ever make a good trail dog given how much of a diva she is), so she didn't mind the ghetto rain coat but she never saw how bad it looked on her

also some dog coats will shed water better than others, just like some coats hold heat better, so keep your dogs breed in mind
oils that develop on your dogs coat will aid in the shedding of water, so not washing your dog too much or immediately before a hike

Valentine
08-25-2008, 16:47
There is no need for a dog to wear a rain coat. Wolves, coyotes, and wild dogs do fine without them. Most dogs seem embarrased when subjected to "people clothes."

If you want to dry your dog when your done for the day, the "Sammy" towel is great. Super absorbant and rings right out without feeling wet. It is referenced earlier in the thread without name. (The one divers use.)

Animal Cracker,
Dogs are not wolves and domesticated dogs have different tolerances. They do get cold and feel pain just like we do. IF your dog is shivering it is cold or in pain. The hardiest dogs in the world (sled dogs) wear booties to protect their feet. A domesticated trail dog can and does need attention which includes a warm place to sleep. People used to be naked too and not take antibiotics but they do know. Why deprive your dog of warmth. If they have a heavy coat and can stand the weather than fine, but don't assume because they are dogs that they are some how impervious to cold and such. Dogs don't get embarrased only their owners or caretakers, if you will.

leeki pole
08-25-2008, 17:07
Guys, I have to disagree here. I train a Labrador and a Flat Coated Retriever and from duck blinds in the winter, breaking ice to retrieve I have never seen them cold. This is an all day hunt. These dogs were bred to weather Newfoundland, that's pretty cold. I agree it's breed specific, that's for sure. But to make a Lab or a Flat Coat submit to a raincoat or booties...well, that's just wrong.

Rouen
08-25-2008, 23:06
leeki, you say all day hunting trips, where did you retire to at the end of the day? a tent or a house?
I agree that while working most dogs wont notice the cold, the same as if someone is working out in the cold, if their heart rate is up they will stay warmer, but once you've stopped working you will start to get chilled.
I think part of what Wise Old Owl was asking is how do you dry them off at night or keep them from getting wet all together so at night when they've settled they wont get cold(or get you soaking wet).
with that said I have a lab mix and he dries fairly quickly, so I dont think theres a need to put a rain coat on him, a towel works. in the winter he does wear a coat as he gets cold..

Lars
08-29-2008, 20:55
I havn't had any problems with my dog since I started spraying her with the same silicone water proofer as my tent whenever it looks like rain.

oldfivetango
08-30-2008, 08:48
I havn't had any problems with my dog since I started spraying her with the same silicone water proofer as my tent whenever it looks like rain.

Are you pulling our legs?
OFT

Lars
08-30-2008, 08:50
LOL, All four of them. I love my dogs!!!

CrumbSnatcher
08-30-2008, 09:54
I used garbage bags on Winter when it rained. She didn't mind being wet so much as she didn't care much for the rain in her eyes. So I shifted the garbage bag forward until it formed a hood over her head. Her pack held the garbage bag in place. I don't recall ever using a towel on either of us when we were wet. Instead, I opened my rectangular 20 degree down sleeping bag and covered both of us. Winter automatically cuddled right up against me in those situations. In no time at all Winter's heat made us warm and comfy. In the morning Winter looked like she'd been washed and fluff dried.
i must of read your how to book, this is exactly the same way things went down in camp,on team crumb:D(BEARdog and me) she never wanted the raincoat. i know what you mean about the wash and fluff dry.thanks for the memory trip...:)

CrumbSnatcher
08-30-2008, 10:20

maybe some of those little (door stop) dogs, might want a raincoat.even during all day hikes in the rain, my dog liked the rain. my dog was half lab/ half chow. my vet said it would take alot to soak her skin,her 1st base layer of hair would always keep her dry and warm. she loved the snow the most and chewing cooked soupbones. during a blizzard once,i called her once and she didn't respond(not like her)called again she popped her head out from under the snowbank! during the heat we night hiked hundreds of miles over the years.

RiverWarriorPJ
08-30-2008, 10:29
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

..Great line Aussie.....thnx..

Aussie922
09-03-2008, 11:04
Haha, I knew the dog people would appreciate it :D

leeki pole
09-03-2008, 11:24
leeki, you say all day hunting trips, where did you retire to at the end of the day? a tent or a house?
I agree that while working most dogs wont notice the cold, the same as if someone is working out in the cold, if their heart rate is up they will stay warmer, but once you've stopped working you will start to get chilled.
I think part of what Wise Old Owl was asking is how do you dry them off at night or keep them from getting wet all together so at night when they've settled they wont get cold(or get you soaking wet).
with that said I have a lab mix and he dries fairly quickly, so I dont think theres a need to put a rain coat on him, a towel works. in the winter he does wear a coat as he gets cold..
Fair question, we go back to the house, but they ride in the back of my truck in carriers for up to a couple of hours, so I make sure they're dry before I crate them. There's a lot of waiting around in a duck blind during the day, so I try to keep them as dry as possible in the blind. Those shammies are great, you can just wring them out after wiping them down.

superman
09-03-2008, 11:43
i must of read your how to book, this is exactly the same way things went down in camp,on team crumb:D(BEARdog and me) she never wanted the raincoat. i know what you mean about the wash and fluff dry.thanks for the memory trip...:)

memories...
Some where early on the AT it rained all day. I set up my slick rock tent. Winter and I crashed for the night. During the night there was a clap of thunder and lightening. We woke up and Winter indicated that she needed to go out. So I let her out and listened for her to come back. I could hear here coming from her dog tag clinking on her collar. The pull tab on the tent zipper had a glow in the dark tab. I kept fumbling with it as Winter stood waiting outside the tent. Just as I got the tab Winter tried to knock on the door. Instead her paw went right through the tent making a three corner rip. I let Winter in and she immediately fell back to sleep. It was pouring out and I had nothing to seal the rip which was next to my knee. All I had was plastic bags with nothing to hold them in place. So I bunched one up and stuck it in the hole. The other garbage bag I pulled over the foot of my feet which was also the low spot of the tent. Morning came and the sun was out. When I moved my feet I realized they were wet...actually they were under water. The bag in the hole had fallen out and the rain filled the bag that my feet were in. The rip was easily repaired with tent tape.

Good to start the day with clean feet.:)

Dirigo
09-03-2008, 12:23
I have an old German Shepherd who still loves to hike. She is 12, with no hip problems and the vet said to keep her hiking so we still take her out for short day hikes. Last winter I noticed she was getting very cold on some of the hikes so I bought her a coat, (said I would never buy an animal a coat) it looks like a horse blanket, and she likes it. Has rain and snow protection on the outside and fleece on the inside.
Not sure I would buy this for a younger dog, but I love my old girl so I wanted her to be comfortable and to be able to enjoy her hike too.

Dirigo

superman
09-03-2008, 13:58
I have an old German Shepherd who still loves to hike. She is 12, with no hip problems and the vet said to keep her hiking so we still take her out for short day hikes. Last winter I noticed she was getting very cold on some of the hikes so I bought her a coat, (said I would never buy an animal a coat) it looks like a horse blanket, and she likes it. Has rain and snow protection on the outside and fleece on the inside.
Not sure I would buy this for a younger dog, but I love my old girl so I wanted her to be comfortable and to be able to enjoy her hike too.

Dirigo

Winter is an 11 year old white GS. She has arthritis in her hind end and the vet said no more hiking for her. Last winter was the first time that she showed any sign of being cold. I got her a coat too. Everything works off the activity level. Like us the more active the dogs can stay the better off they are.

Dirigo
09-03-2008, 15:35
It sucks when they get old, but I know that 12 is old for a Shepherd. My first Shepherd was 12 when she passed.
My vet said to keep her active and he gave me some pills for her to take before and after a hike to help with her joints. Kind of like "Vitamin I" and she also gets all the other stuff, like MSM.
Your white shepherd is beautiful.
Happy Hiking
Dirigo

superman
09-04-2008, 09:14
I've had many dogs of different breeds in my life. They were all good dogs. They all had their own strengths, weaknesses and personalities. Some required more care than others did. None of them were ever my protector...I was theirs. Winter is the only one that I would consider taking on the AT. If she had thumbs, she could probably re-wire my house for me. She was the one who kept us on the right trail and kept us moving. She even picked some of the campsites. She has always been a stand on her own dog. Mostly she needed me because I have thumbs :). She showed other dogs how to navigate the cow stiles. She figured out how to deal with the most difficult ups and downs. She was a strong, smart dog that made everything look easy. Besides hiking the AT, she hiked other trails and traveled all over the country. People talk about how much work it is to bring a dog hiking or traveling. Winter was never a problem hiking or traveling. I'd like to take credit for that but it was all her. I recently was in Sweden and was talking to Winter as I was making camp. I was surprised and disappointed when I looked up and realized she was back in the states.
Rain...it's just one of the many experiences you share with your dog along the way...with or with out a towel.

Wise Old Owl
09-06-2008, 22:55
It's always funny as dogs adapt to what we are used to, after a few dog promtings of when are you going to play with me? during a Hurricane I took the fun squeeze toy and tossed it out the door in a little frustration. (apparently WB was more important at the moment....) He looked at me with " what the hell did you do and I am so not going to go for that in that downpour...eyes"

Oh well - I guess I am going to have to adjust my nice scales....

He is going for a wonderful hike tommorrow as soon as the rain lifts.

esabacz
09-22-2008, 23:41

YES!!!! for about 10 min you would think they are on fire!!!!! And if they are able to get out of the house prior to being completely dry.....they end up dirty than before the bath.
-----
As for on the trail, we just use whatever towel / shirt (usually mine) / other article of clothing to dry off them off the best we can as they go in the tent.

wrongway_08
09-23-2008, 11:04
Ruff Wear makes a nice rain "jacket", only covers the back/shoulders and butt of the dog. This lets the jacket keep the dogs core dry, sleet/snow off him/her. Makes a great wind breaker for the pooch also.

Just like people, dogs can get cold and die from it also, watch for your dog shivering and make sure to take care of him/her.

Yes, dogs in the wild get wet also but they hide in dens or hudle together under bushes to get warm. Also wilds wolves and dogs do not hunt in the rain for 4-8 hours without finding shelters/hudles to warm up in.

If your going to be out for 1 or 2 hours to hike, no big deal - the dog can be wet without hurting him - that is if its not freezing out.
If your hiking for hours on end, bring a small cover for him and watch for shivering when you take breaks.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2008, 12:01

I know you are pulling ONE of our four legs my freind, but I have occationally used Deep Woods Off spray to keep the midges & for some bug relief.