PDA

View Full Version : Where is Privy Monster?

smaaax
08-24-2008, 12:58
Early on in my thru-hike, I met Privy Monster, a rather unique individual with many stories, and many stories about him. Whenever a hiker caught up to me from behind, I would immediately ask "did you meed Privy Monster?" and usually an interesting story would ensue.

So, who here sighted Privy Monster, where is he? Any good stories?

Doctari
08-25-2008, 09:08
When did you last see him?

Last I saw him, we ate together at the Old orchard shelter on 5/3, he had lunch, I had dinner. He started at Wise, I at Thomas knob. I think his plans were Trimpi shelter that night & Partnership & PIZZA" on the 4th.

I would love to hear from / about him. I had spent a few nights at shelters with him, we first met at the Watuga Lake shelter: I love his hiking style "Im walking from GA to ME looking for good places to sit" & the fact that he spent the night in, , , , well, his name IS; Privy Monster :D

smaaax
08-25-2008, 09:51
When did you last see him?

Last I saw him, we ate together at the Old orchard shelter on 5/3, he had lunch, I had dinner. He started at Wise, I at Thomas knob. I think his plans were Trimpi shelter that night & Partnership & PIZZA" on the 4th.

I would love to hear from / about him. I had spent a few nights at shelters with him, we first met at the Watuga Lake shelter: I love his hiking style "Im walking from GA to ME looking for good places to sit" & the fact that he spent the night in, , , , well, his name IS; Privy Monster :D

I last saw him at Sassafras Gap shelter. I stayed and he went ahead, but I never saw him again mysteriously.

That would be the farthest along I had heard he was.

I first met him after he overnighted ON Wayah Bald the coldest night of the year with 6" of snow included. Spent a few more nights with him, and a zero at the NOC.

IIRC, his motto was "looking for good places to sit on the uphills"

Doctari
08-27-2008, 12:38
Sadly I got off the trail at Atkins, & all the registers were either full or missing between Orchard & Atkins. I did read an entry in the side of the trail registers (the ones in the little box "houses" on posts) just N of Partnership saying he had passed thru about 2 days before.

You may well have passed him as he sat at a off trail view. I know I did a few times: he would pass me mid AM, & then again mid / late PM, I never passed him, at least I never saw him as I passed him.

Dirty Harry
09-10-2008, 21:54
I meet him, I think at the shelter before Roan Mtn. Funny guy, I mean the name it self can start up all sorts of conversation.

Vagus
09-15-2008, 21:55
the first and only time i saw privy monster was just south of springer on day 1 of my thru-hike. that was feb. 1, 2008. last i heard, he had made it to kincora. i was somewhere in PA at that time. finished my hike june 18th. you still out there privy monster?

mweinstone
09-16-2008, 06:57
do you all know privy peeper? hes with chuck and johnney thunder and choco and wacapack i think. i may or may not know privy monster depending on memory available.

Gray Blazer
09-16-2008, 07:21
AKA: Poopacabra

Sonny1974
09-16-2008, 21:30
last i saw Privy he was hobbling in Pearisburg right before trail days.. knee looked to be blown out... never heard after that..

Doctari
09-17-2008, 10:10
Just to clarify:

Is we talking about the privy monster that carries a (few) rubber chicken(s)?

Sorry to hear he got a bum knee, he was taking it easy just to avoid injury. Also the reason he started so early in the year "I only planned on doing 5 mile days to start".

I just checked my journal, the last entry I have was from a trailside kiosk just S of the Mt Rogers HQ. He was about a day & 1/2 ahead of me by this time.

smaaax
09-17-2008, 15:31
Just to clarify:

Is we talking about the privy monster that carries a (few) rubber chicken(s)?

Sorry to hear he got a bum knee, he was taking it easy just to avoid injury. Also the reason he started so early in the year "I only planned on doing 5 mile days to start".

I just checked my journal, the last entry I have was from a trailside kiosk just S of the Mt Rogers HQ. He was about a day & 1/2 ahead of me by this time.

3 Rubber chickens. He told me and a few others he was doing the AT to prepare for the PCT, which he was doing this year as well.

HODOWN
09-21-2008, 21:55
Dorothy and I camped with him in Hot Springs. His insanity was interspersed with disturbing moments of total lucidity. He also had a great laugh.

He's not a conventional hiker, or a conventional drifter. He had been staying in Hot Springs for a long time before we encouraged him to move on. He simply believes you should stay in a spot as long as it makes you happy. Hikers, in my experience, have a hard time wrapping their minds around this.