PDA

View Full Version : cost to hike AT

hoozr
08-24-2008, 13:02
was curious if anyone would have an idea of how much $$$$ it would take to thru hike the AT southbound. i was wondering how much money I should need to save before the start next spring ?

Lone Wolf
08-24-2008, 13:06
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32626&highlight=cost+hike+trail

CrumbSnatcher
08-24-2008, 13:10
was curious if anyone would have an idea of how much $$$$ it would take to thru hike the AT southbound. i was wondering how much money I should need to save before the start next spring ? i've been hearing a dollor a mile for so many years,you'll hear alot of opionions on cost. IMO for a standard thru would be 2.25 dollors a mile(i've said two dollors a mile for the last 6-8 years,but in the last year everythings gone way up)with most/to all your gear purchased already.(alot of hikers make small adjustments to thier gear in route,which cost money) this allows for restraunts and treats hostels and some motels. (4,896.45 my count for a good but not way over the top hike)i've known hikers that spent anywhere from 1,500.00 to 7,500.00 alot varies how many zerodays how much drinking,motels sightseeing in cities on the way(washington,n.y.boston) i have always spent at least 3,900.00 hoozr sounds like you caught the bug-HAVE A GREAT HIKE

CrumbSnatcher
08-24-2008, 14:07
anyway even if i was a little high on the amount? i think i'd rather plan a little higher and have some cash left after the hike. than plan low and run out. i've hiked both ways it sucks to run out or low on cash. if you can pack a little more away it wouldn't hurt...

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 14:19
I've calculated about $1800 for gear, and about $2 a mile. I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.

EDIT: I WILL NOT BE STAYING IN THE HOTELS BUT I WILL USE AND PAY FOR AMENITIES SUCH AS A SHOWER AND LAUNDRY

4eyedbuzzard
08-24-2008, 14:25
$1800 will buy a lot of great gear. If you shop wisely you should come in way under that. A lot of end of season sales going on now, Labor Day, and just after.

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 14:33
$1800 will buy a lot of great gear. If you shop wisely you should come in way under that. A lot of end of season sales going on now, Labor Day, and just after.

Ya, your not kidding there. The REI sale for Labor Day just took $800 of my fine paycheck. It's actually $1800 guesstimate, I'm always changing and finding better deals. That $800 bought the majority of my gear, minus clothes and some misc items. And I'm using a Gregory Z55 with a HS tarptent, titanium everything, and keeping it around 20lbs minus food, water, and fuel.

CrumbSnatcher
08-24-2008, 14:53
I've calculated about $1800 for gear, and about $2 a mile. I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.
why no restaurants? alot of good buffets in the south to keep you fueled up.

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 15:01
why no restaurants? alot of good buffets in the south to keep you fueled up.

True there are, but one of the reasons behind my hike is to keep the treehugger aspect, not living town to town. I'll prob scarf a Shoney's here and there, but I'm out doing this to enjoy the wild and nature. As for hostels, besides taking a shower, a ride to gear up, or a MAJOR storm approaching, I don't see the need or desire to use them.

CrumbSnatcher
08-24-2008, 15:13
True there are, but one of the reasons behind my hike is to keep the treehugger aspect, not living town to town. I'll prob scarf a Shoney's here and there, but I'm out doing this to enjoy the wild and nature. As for hostels, besides taking a shower, a ride to gear up, or a MAJOR storm approaching, I don't see the need or desire to use them.thats cool, with your 2 dollor per mile cost goal. you'll have a good hike and be able to grub in town anytime you want. alot of hikers money is spent on hostels and drinking beer, i don't use hostels very often either(on thru hikes)or zero at the bar. i hiked pretty much solo with my dog over the years we got a motel once in awhile and i'd hit the buffets if she was in the room. if we were just passing thru i'd get our food and eat outside with her. she never turned down cheeseburgers. have a great hike:D

modiyooch
08-24-2008, 15:18
A hiker I met last year calculated the cost by the # of town stops. lodging, meals & resupply.

Appalachian Tater
08-24-2008, 15:20
$1 a mile still works if you consider that those 1978 dollars and adjust 230% for inflation.

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 16:55
I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.

Where are you going to take showers, then? You will almost certainly want to shower the same time as you do laundry, and there aren't many other places along the way any cheaper than hostels for taking care of that.

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 17:02
Where are you going to take showers, then? You will almost certainly want to shower the same time as you do laundry, and there aren't many other places along the way any cheaper than hostels for taking care of that.

Read 3 posts up. I won't be STAYING in the hostels, but will pay for the showers and laundry usage.

Red Hat
08-24-2008, 18:30
I'm not staying in hostels, and I won't be using restaurants. So I assume to have some left over in the end.
You will be missing some of the best parts of the trail community if you don't see any hostels... and while you should hike your own hike, I sure wouldn't want to do it without any restaurants!

Lone Wolf
08-24-2008, 18:48
You will be missing some of the best parts of the trail community if you don't see any hostels...

i disagee with that

Hooch
08-24-2008, 18:53
No matter how disciplined you may or may not be, I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time passing up the call of hot chow not served in a plastic bag or having to be cooked by you. I've only done a few sections, and won't pass up town food when I get to then end of my hike. But hey, to each their own.

CrumbSnatcher
08-24-2008, 18:56
in post #9 sufernerd already answered he'll hit up a restaurant every now and then. when he gets the food mood he might care to frequent the restorantes more than he thought

Hooch
08-24-2008, 18:59
in post #9 sufernerd already answered he'll hit up a restaurant every now and then. when he gets the food mood he might care to frequent the restorantes more than he thoughtMethinks yer right, Crumbsnatcher. :D

CrumbSnatcher
08-24-2008, 19:31
there are alot of ways to waste money on a thruhike! but i never considered any type of grubbing to be a waste. wether it was store bought, mcdonalds doller menu or the occasional more expensive restaurants!

DapperD
08-24-2008, 19:49
was curious if anyone would have an idea of how much $$$$ it would take to thru hike the AT southbound. i was wondering how much money I should need to save before the start next spring ?This question cannot be answered in any one way. It all depends upon the individual. If you are a disciplined person who can do without "creature comforts" such as in town eats, bar hopping and partying, etc...and would rather camp than go to a motel at the first hint of adverse weather, than I would have to say as a guess to have around at least $3500 available as a minimum, gear may need to be replaced, etc... I would think at least have this available to do a minimalist thru-hike. This of coarse does not include travel to and from the trailheads, and gear! Now I am sure other's will say it can be done for less, but I would have this available as a minimum. You may even need a little more. As far as a high I am sure you could easily spend up to $7500 or even more if you decide to splurge on a steady basis. Other factors include the duration of your trip, short or long, as obviously this will have to be factored into the overalll equation. One thing for sure. Make sure you have the money in reserve that you will need. Better to have it and not use it, than to need it, and be out of luck!

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 19:54
in post #9 sufernerd already answered he'll hit up a restaurant every now and then. when he gets the food mood he might care to frequent the restorantes more than he thought

Thank you! I edited my post to prevent future confusion

Blissful
08-24-2008, 20:36
Excluding gear going NOBO in 2007 we spent roughly $4,000 a piece, and we stayed in hostels, motels, and ate out while in towns. I'm figuring about that for 2011 SOBO, probably a little more as it will be mostly me.

Slo-go'en
08-24-2008, 20:58
I figure I drop between $100 and $150 every time I hit town. Some towns are more expensive than others. Figure about 40 town stops in a through hike (one every 50 miles or so) That comes out to between $4K and $7.5K. Thats just for the hike, if you have bills to pay while your away, those have to be factored in too.

The bottom line is, the more money you have to spend, and not worry about spending it, the better time you will have.

mudcap
08-24-2008, 21:00
I hope you are right. By then I guess the price will be much more,double at least. I hope I am wrong.

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 22:30
Read 3 posts up. I won't be STAYING in the hostels, but will pay for the showers and laundry usage.

Is that many don't have an option to just use the shower, do laundry, and leave.

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 22:36
Is that many don't have an option to just use the shower, do laundry, and leave.

Well I guess since I'm gonna smell already why not just pursue the best stench, haha. I'll probably have to give in here and there.

Red Hat
08-25-2008, 20:15
i disagee with that

What about Kincora? Hiker's Welcome? Chets? come on LW, you know meeting trail people (Bob, Packrat, Phatt Chap, Chet) is part of the fun.

Lone Wolf
08-25-2008, 20:17
What about Kincora? Hiker's Welcome? Chets? come on LW, you know meeting trail people (Bob, Packrat, Phatt Chap, Chet) is part of the fun.
i do not stay at hostels

stranger
09-22-2008, 21:23
I agree that missing hostels isn't the end of the world, and that if you can bring along a little more money you will have that freedom. Heading northbound you are constantly surrounded by other hikers all the time and it's nice to be able to get a room somewhere by yourself, or with another hiker, and usually the cost isn't that much greater.

For example, 3 of us split a cabin at Blood Mountain Cabins instead of cramming into the tiny bunkhouse at Neels Gap. I believe that hostel cost $15-16, while we had an entire house to ourselves, with a fireplace, two double beds and a pull out couch for $17 each. And the Franklin Motel ran me a whole $35 for the night, yet it was nice to have the dough to spend $60at the Fontana Lodge, Super 8 in Erwin, etc...

I would bring as much money as you can get, and you will most likely spend whatever you bring. Depends how disciplined, or poor, you are in the end.

wrongway_08
09-23-2008, 11:34
Just got done my thru on Sept. 11th,
I spent a little over $6,000. on the trail, this does not include my gear I originally bought for the hike. This $6,000. does include any prices below:
stats:
- 6 months 11 days
- about 45 zero days, includes hostels/hotels and shelter zeros
- adopted a dog in Erwin, spent about $650. on him, includes:
* new tent for the dog and me * Vet visit * Leash/collar * Pack/Toys/ Z-rest pad for Erwin * Jacket and of course food for Erwin.
- around $250. - $300. (guessing) in mail bounces and drops.
- spent around $600. replacing gear to make things easier along the way.

I happen to spend a lot of time in town and hostels because it was fun meeting the people and learning about the towns along the way. If your loking to not spend much time in towns, your cost will be much less. Spent a good deal on $$$ food, like those pre-cooked chicken breast and spaghetti sauce in the foil packets. If you went with different foods, you could knock even more money off your trip.

Hope this helps a little.

mindi
01-23-2009, 06:29
I ran out of money last time, and it really sucks to have to abandon your hike. I'd suggest having some in reserve in case of an emergency..illness/injury can sometimes require you to take time off in town and spend money.

Of course I blew a lot of money even when I didn't have a good excuse, but I think a lot of it had to do with going NOBO :D.

SunnyWalker
07-17-2009, 00:16
Jumping in here after reading post #20. I think you all are missing an important part of hiking and the AT. You talk about how you will will an important part when you don't use hostels, and etc., well I think one is missing out on a lot when one DOES use hostels. There is something to be said for the constant walking of the trail, eating on the trail, sleeping on the trail, washing in streams etc., (appropriately), doing your own laundry (I can do mine on the trail, don't need laundromats), etc., etc., etc.,a nd keeping trips to "town" for resupply. And yes, I have done this-if you are tempted to ask. Not on AT but on PCT.