PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm ticked

wanashunkaha
08-24-2008, 14:31
A brand new jetboil stove, right out of the box and the ignitor doesn't work. I adjusted it closer to the burner and still nothing. The ignitor on our grill clicks when I push it in. Is this supposed to do the same thing? It just pushes in smoothly with no spark. Should I send it back to the store, (then I get to pay shipping as well!) or contact jetboil directly? I guess this is why we test this stuff in our kitchen or on an overnighter before trekking off into the wilderness, huh? :eek:

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 14:39
No, they are supposed to click, Friction Lighter. Yes, I'd say call JetBoil first, they are a great company and might be more friendly to replace it at no cost to you.

Bob S
08-24-2008, 15:10
I notice a large number of the push button igniters I have used fail at some point. I think they make stuff extremely cheap today (can you say China?) and don’t really care if it bites the dust.

I have had several Coleman igniters fail, and while they will replace it. It goes bad again before one summer is over.

I now just use a Bic lighter as it’s not if, but when the igniter is going to fail.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-24-2008, 16:36
A brand new jetboil stove, right out of the box and the ignitor doesn't work. I adjusted it closer to the burner and still nothing. The ignitor on our grill clicks when I push it in. Is this supposed to do the same thing? It just pushes in smoothly with no spark. Should I send it back to the store, (then I get to pay shipping as well!) or contact jetboil directly? I guess this is why we test this stuff in our kitchen or on an overnighter before trekking off into the wilderness, huh? :eek:
Here's a math question. How many packs of free 7/11 matches can you get for the money you save not shipping the stove back?
Piezo lighters are famous for not working

Pootz
08-24-2008, 16:47
Jet Boil ignitors are famous for not working. Even if you get it fixed you will need to have a bic lighter for backup. They are a great stove just have to get over the ignitor not working. Get a small lighter so it fits in with the stove when stored in the pot.

mudcap
08-24-2008, 18:19
Keep it and use a lighter/match. Get to know it,warranty won't help you on the trail.

Mercy
08-24-2008, 21:45
Try contacting the store you bought it from, tell them the ignitor doesn't work, and they may ship you another one... without you returning your jetboil.

When I got my jetboil, the ceramic had cracked, and the thing was grounding out. I used a bic until I got the new ignitor.

Erin
08-24-2008, 21:53
Try taking it to a local outfitter who carries Jet Boil. I did with mine that had problems with ignition. They took it and exchanged it and said Jet Boil stands by their product. They did. I had it over a year and no longer had the receipt. I was impressed by the local outfitters attitutde, but they said if they sent the screwed up one to jetboil, it would not be an issue at all.

Caveman of Ohio
08-24-2008, 21:56
My Jetboil isn’t lighting well. What can I do?

The intensity of the piezoelectric spark is highly dependent on its position over the burner. Adjusting the position of the piezo wire to maximize the intensity of the spark usually corrects the problem; the optimal distance between the wire and the burner head is approximately one-quarter inch. If, after attempting an adjustment, you still have problems lighting, contact Jetboil Customer Service. In addition, we recommend that you always carry matches or a lighter in case of piezo failure.

Summit
08-25-2008, 06:47
I had problems with mine on my last hike as the piezo unit seems to have loosened, but I found that by applying pressure at a certain angle that decreases the distance of the tip from the burner head, it works. But, like was said above, using a lighter is no big deal, when it does completely fail, which I'm sure it will before the stove wears out.

Homer&Marje
08-25-2008, 07:13
Matches or a bic never fail my Alcohols stove. Send that overpriced monstrosity back and hit YouTube. It's at least 3 solid hours of alcohol stoved craziness :D

Mrs Baggins
08-25-2008, 07:23
Think I'll just stick with my faithful Pocket Rocket. Turn the gas on, light a match and woomph! immediate flame. Then there's my husband's Whisper Light - - let gas pour into little bowl, light and carry the blow torch away from the shelter til excess gas in the bowl burns off.............or don't get enough fuel in the bowl and light and light and light and light and have nothing happen.................watch flame catch and then burn out because it wasn't primed properly..........

Bob S
08-25-2008, 09:37
I would not get too mad at Jetboil for the piezo igniter not working. It’s a common enough thing with all brands of stoves and lanterns. I have a lantern that has one that bit the dust as have every one in stoves I have.

I just use a bic for the stoves and the lantern I bought a igniter made by Cooligans (sp?) that works off flint (cost $3.00.) I drilled a hole and mounted it inside the lantern. It works great. a little bit of dumb-downed technology and the problem was solved forever.

MOWGLI
08-25-2008, 09:44
I met the guy who designed the MSR Reactor out at the trailhead for Bishop Pass. After talking to him, it became clear that the Reactor was a superior stove - design and performance wise. Now whether it's worth the weight or the money... That's another issue.

Mags
08-25-2008, 11:12
AS others said, the ignitors are infamous for failing on all stoves, not just jetboils.

I'd stick to a lighter rather than futzing around with sending it back.

YMMV.

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2008, 11:30
In my experience I had to move the metal thing further from the burner, not closer. However, if that doesn't work I'm sure you won't have a problem getting Jetboil to reimburse you.

FWIW, I always carry lighters into the woods just for this reason, as well as others.

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2008, 11:34
I met the guy who designed the MSR Reactor out at the trailhead for Bishop Pass. After talking to him, it became clear that the Reactor was a superior stove - design and performance wise. Now whether it's worth the weight or the money... That's another issue.
That is the great thing with a free and competitive market. I've looked at this stove and I also believe it's a superior design and will out-perform the Jetboil. However, the cost of that thing just does not convince me that I need a new stove. Can't wait to see the next generation of stove the market spits out.

Blissful
08-25-2008, 12:06
Think I'll just stick with my faithful Pocket Rocket. Turn the gas on, light a match and woomph! immediate flame. ..........

Ditto - but it does matter what canister you use (snow peak worked the best for me; MSR stinks) and where the wind is blowing. Though someone insisted you can still use a wind screen somehow without blowing yourself up. (???)

Summit
08-25-2008, 12:30
Ditto - but it does matter what canister you use (snow peak worked the best for me; MSR stinks) and where the wind is blowing. Though someone insisted you can still use a wind screen somehow without blowing yourself up. (???)Don't you usually just lower the wind screen down around the stove AFTER you have it going, unless it's so windy you can't get it going without, perhaps? I had a pocket rocket in my basket to buy at REI when I saw the Jetboil on sale. It was the sale that did it. At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it! :eek: :p

wanashunkaha
08-29-2008, 09:33
Update: To Jetboil's credit, they answered my email the first business day, shipped me a new ignitor asap and changed my warranty date to begin the end of this month. I realize from everyone's post it will probably break again and a bic lighter is the answer. I was venting my frustration that it was broken right out of the box. At least they stand behind their product. Thanks to all who responded.

rafe
08-29-2008, 09:41
Mine failed pretty early on. No biggie.

Odd Thomas
08-29-2008, 09:43
From the thread title I thought you had lyme disease

mudhead
08-29-2008, 09:47
Was it a frig putting in the new piezo?

wanashunkaha
08-31-2008, 11:36
Was it a frig putting in the new piezo?

It was reasonably painless mudhead. They sent me directions. Took about 10 min. If anyone wants them, let me know and I'll scan and post them. Odd Thomas...Thanks, for the laugh! :D

wrongway_08
08-31-2008, 12:20
Forget that thing, toss the ignitor in the trash. They dont work well in the cold anyways.
I ended up taking mine off and just using a lighter to light the stove with.
At some point the thing will crack anyways, went through that also.

Rain Man
09-01-2008, 10:05
Think I'll just stick with my faithful Pocket Rocket.

I bought a Pocket Rocket and took it on exactly one section hike. Returned it to REI immediately. That thing was just way too tall and unstable for me. I felt as if my boiling pot or frying pan was going to tip over at any second. The stress was just too much for me. Too much I say! LOL I go into the woods to relax

For what it's worth, I feel the same about the JetBoil. Just too tall and skinny and unstable. After I returned my Pocket Rocket, I bought an MSR WindPro. Now that thing is as low and stable as they get. People can bang into the picnic table without it tipping over and the rocks and ground don't have to be within a tenth of a degree of plumb.

I'll leave the life of excitement and danger to you adrenaline junkies! :D:

Rain:sunMan

Obiwan
09-01-2008, 12:51
Funny....including myself I know about a dozen people with Jetboils and none of us has had a single issue over several years of use....go figure

And yet to read these comments it appears inevitable

Note: I realize that my friends and I make up a statistically insignificant sample suze, but so do those that have responded here :-)

Glad you got it sorted out....new stuff should work and it should not cost you anything to make it right

wilconow
09-01-2008, 13:05
I can understand being frustrated with this in principle, but the fact of the matter is that using a lighter/match is really quite a simple way to work around this

Mine broke after a couple times. 4 years later and the jetboil is still a great item