PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Paper?

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 17:18
Ok, before I get raided by comments, I did a search, and got no returns. Toilet paper, and 6 months of it... Anyone have opinions, ideas, suggestions? I won't buy those overpriced individual "hiker" packs. I'm worried about leaf identification, but am up for ideas. I've even heard of bandana's..should I just buy a roll as needed and put it into a plastic bag.

CrumbSnatcher
08-24-2008, 17:25
are you asking about mountain money,(thats what i call toilet paper) priceless in the woods. not to expensive at hostels or stores. i always ask for a roll at the motels. free with cost of room:D some hikers split up rolls! thats not for me! it don't weigh that much. buy one roll at a time and put it in a ziploc..

Roughin' It
08-24-2008, 18:24
i heard of one thing to make the roll stay together better:
take out the center cardboard, flatten the roll, wrap ductape around it, and feed the toilet paper out from the middle, kind of like baby wipes.

I myself have never actually tried it, but it sounds like it could work.

Bearpaw
08-24-2008, 18:35
Toilet is best when foraged from bathrooms in hotels, gas stations, and other places where it "grows" in abundance. You'll be able to frequently get more, like at every town stop.

cowboy nichols
08-24-2008, 18:47
If you use it burn it or pack it out!!!

Hooch
08-24-2008, 18:47
You can get TP about anywhere you go that is remotely close to civilization. Get a roll, put a couple strips of tape around the outside of it, cut or pull the cardboard core out of the middle and pull the TP from the center. It's easy, no muss no fuss. I keep mine double bagged in ziplocks. :D

Hammock Hanger
08-24-2008, 19:01
Go w/o. If you are a guy, easy!! If you are a gal, use a dab rag. Gotta do more then just sprinkle. Limit yourself to 1 wet wipe a morning. Wash your face and then your bum. Pack it out. Easy as 1-2-3.

fehchet
08-24-2008, 19:12
Not paying for your TP is theft.

Hammock Hanger
08-24-2008, 19:31
Not paying for your TP is theft.

Thank you!!! I find it horrible that so many hikers take TP, that places have to put up signs "Do not steal the Toilet paper". It is a bad rep of thru-hikers.

Lyle
08-24-2008, 19:36
Sometimes a convenience store will have those small rolls of cheapo TP. They flatten out pretty good. Just stick one in a plastic ziplock. Sometimes I'll buy a full cheap roll, then exchange it at a public restroom, hostel, motel room for a partial roll if I don't want to, or need to, carry a full roll. I think this technique eliminates the "don't steal from folks who are helping you out" situation.

SurferNerd
08-24-2008, 19:50
You can get TP about anywhere you go that is remotely close to civilization. Get a roll, put a couple strips of tape around the outside of it, cut or pull the cardboard core out of the middle and pull the TP from the center. It's easy, no muss no fuss. I keep mine double bagged in ziplocks. :D

Definitely going to take this idea and run with it. Since I can't waste valuable tape, I'm thinking of making a small collapsible box and feed the paper from the inside out.

I would always buy TP, never steal. It's like what $1 a roll...

Slo-go'en
08-24-2008, 20:19
I scavange my TP when ever possible.
Don't be an idiot and take a whole roll out of a restroom, just 10 or 15 feet - thats good for at least a week. A whole roll is too much bulk anyway.

Footslogger
08-24-2008, 20:20
Ok, before I get raided by comments, I did a search, and got no returns. Toilet paper, and 6 months of it... Anyone have opinions, ideas, suggestions? I won't buy those overpriced individual "hiker" packs. I'm worried about leaf identification, but am up for ideas. I've even heard of bandana's..should I just buy a roll as needed and put it into a plastic bag.
=====================================

I started off my thru in 2003 carryng toilet paper (yes ...a partial roll flattened in a zip lock) but soon switched over to wet wipes. Much more versatile and can be used for other hygeine needs as well. I located the "fragrance free" ones without alcohol. I squeezed the excess fluid out of a fresh pack of wipes and stuck them in a freezer strength ziplock. Kept them handy (top of backpack).

'Slogger

workboot
08-24-2008, 20:24
Babywipes...no TP

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 20:24
take out the center cardboard, flatten the roll, wrap ductape around it, and feed the toilet paper out from the middle, kind of like baby wipes.

I do remove and discard the cardboard out part (I call it "field stripping" the TP). The best way IMO is to make a small tear in the cardboard where its spiral join hits the end, then tear it out along that join. (If you try to just yank out the cardboard, the TP roll tends to come with it.) Then, flatten the roll. Lastly, put it individually in its own gallon ziploc freezer bag. (I suggest throwing in enough individually-wrapped wet wipes for the whole roll, so you'll have them when you need them.) I prefer the generic brands of TP, not just BC of price, but BC they're smaller and fit better in a backpack.

Oh, and you'll likely have some change in your stools from your switch to a hiker's diet, thus your TP usage rate can be expected to change some as well. If you overplan your total-resupply maildrops, you'll likely be off somewhat on included TP...

bikerscars
08-24-2008, 21:10
no tp
babywipes with excess moisture discarded...does a better job...worth the extra weight for me
to each their own

fiddlehead
08-24-2008, 21:24
I don't agree with burning your used toilet paper. Bury it! Deep! 6" is good with a big rock thrown on top.

One of the things that really bothered me when hiking the Pyrenees and the Himalayas is that people just seemed to ***** wherever they felt the need. Very unsanitary.

We in the USA are much more advanced in this regard IMO. Let's keep it that way.

drastic_quench
08-24-2008, 21:52

This works well. I use this method.

Wilson
08-24-2008, 21:54
Spent some time in the Sinai of Egyt...It was a great insult to touch a nomadic Bedoin with the LEFT hand....Cause thats what they used to wipe with.

Sleepy the Arab
08-24-2008, 22:01
Toilet paper is for nancy's. I use bunnies.

Blissful
08-24-2008, 22:27
Toilet is best when foraged from bathrooms in hotels, gas stations, and other places where it "grows" in abundance. You'll be able to frequently get more, like at every town stop.

I'm sorry but isn't this stealing? One thing you don't want to do in towns is give hikers bad names. Like they can help themselves to rolls of TP in business establishments or other things when they can well spend a little money to buy some. Many convenience stores have one roll for sale, esp in trail towns. Or buy a four pack roll while in town and split it with other hikers or put it in a hiker box for others. I had my roll in mail drop, but I was also sending myself my medications, etc.

kdholmwood
08-25-2008, 04:40
"In days of old, when knights were bold
And paper was not invented,
They wiped their arse
On blades of grass,
And walked away contented."

This British children's rhyme reminds us that tufts of grass, leaves, sphagnum moss, even smooth stones can do the job with less environmental impact than paper. Check for thorns before application.
Keith

Marta
08-25-2008, 05:29
Small packets of tissues work, too. They are usually sold at convenience stores, drug stores, etc.

Ditto on the "taking tp without paying for it is theft."

weary
08-25-2008, 08:46
....should I just buy a roll as needed and put it into a plastic bag.
That's what I did and what most long distance hikers do.

CrumbSnatcher
08-25-2008, 20:10
"In days of old, when knights were bold
And paper was not invented,
They wiped their arse
On blades of grass,
And walked away contented."

This British children's rhyme reminds us that tufts of grass, leaves, sphagnum moss, even smooth stones can do the job with less environmental impact than paper. Check for thorns before application.
Keith
thanks, i had a crappy day and that made us laugh!

besides, most public restrooms have what we call "John Wayne" paper......Rough, Tough, and doesn't take any crap off of nobody:D

Turtle2
08-25-2008, 20:37
Ditto on the theft issue from hostels and hotels. There is nothing more agravating than to go to the bathroom at a hostel before hitting the trail and every bit of TP had 'walked'. Geez! Talk about inconsiderate hikers!

Hikes in Rain
08-27-2008, 16:53
I don't agree with burning your used toilet paper. Bury it! Deep! 6" is good with a big rock thrown on top.

One of the things that really bothered me when hiking the Pyrenees and the Himalayas is that people just seemed to ***** wherever they felt the need. Very unsanitary.

We in the USA are much more advanced in this regard IMO. Let's keep it that way.

Actually, I do both. Dig the hole as you describe (wide enough to compensate for not being able to aim well), drop a match after (reduces the bulk), then fill hole. Replace the sod if I can, and use a rock if convenient.

And wholeheartedly agree on some people's kids lack of hygene!!

Appalachian Tater
08-27-2008, 21:06
I use a partial roll of TP flattened with the roll removed and pull it from the center. It stays in a quart ziplock inside a gallon ziplock along with a quart ziplock of baby butt wipes with alcohol added plus a small (one ounce?) bottle of alcohol gel. This "package" stays in the top of my pack.

beerandpizza
08-29-2008, 20:50
i plan on taking scott brand. it is septic and rv safe so it will break down faster. I could never get by with just a wet wipe. think gum in 100 degree heat on asphalt. all are not created equal

Bare Bear
08-29-2008, 23:00
I carry the half roll of TP in a quart freezer zip lock. But I also carried the unscented baby wet naps with rubbing alcohol added in their own ziplock. You can clean your face, then hands, then whatever.........I would not burn it unless there was a really good fire going that would not leave a residue or smoulder UGH. The alcohol works as it's own sterilyzer and helps them burn quickly and completely; otherwise pack em out with the rest of the trash.

Homer&Marje
08-30-2008, 07:30
If you use it burn it or pack it out!!!

Sounds like fun. I'd rather leave biodegradable waste behind if I can. Using cheap single ply helps speed that process along. Doesn't take more than 6 months to a year to biodegrade into the soil. Dig a deep hole or use a privy.

Odd Thomas
08-31-2008, 02:40
Spent some time in the Sinai of Egyt...It was a great insult to touch a nomadic Bedoin with the LEFT hand....Cause thats what they used to wipe with.

That dumb taboo always cracks me up. If it's assumed everyone's walking around with crap on their left hands, then you can probably assume it's on their other hand too. among other places. If I assume someone is covered with crap, the hand used would be of my least concern. :p

Wilson
08-31-2008, 08:18
You're probly right.
In that regard they're like a lot of hikers.

Tipi Walter
08-31-2008, 08:46

Burying toilet paper is not a good idea as dogs and other creatures sometimes like to dig up the freshly birthed turtleheads and eat them, thereby exposing the paper to view, etc. A better option is to collect said wipes in a ziploc and at the appropriate firepit ring burn them all together or throw them all away in the nearest garbage can when in town. Burning the paper at each cathole could be a real problem if the wind is up and the ground cover dry(dead leaves, pine needles, etc). Plus, oftimes the partially moist paper will not burn completely or it is too wet with snow or it's raining.

Who would want to use toilet paper, anyway? It's clumsy and thin. I much prefer paper towels in sheets of ten rolled up together in a tight tube and secured with a hairtie. About 25 sheets will get me thru about 15 days(Bounty used to be the fave, now I use Viva--yawn). And they perform dual purpose as snot rags, pot cleaners and sponges. One paper towel can be folded and used for two wipes-per-turtlehead, usually enough to produce a clean bunghole, etc. Oftimes a wet paper towel will result in a cleaner bunghole(info for those wishing advanced knowledge).

Homer&Marje
08-31-2008, 08:56
I buy cheap paper towels for my home, can't use them in the woods, I might as well use pine bark. From what I hear, pine bark doesnt clean that well.

Borrow a little TP from a gas station if you run out, leave at least half the roll though, Was at Galehead hut a month ago in the Whites and we had been at Guyot the night before in a rainstorm, somehow the TP for our last 2 days got very wet and unusable. When we stopped at Galehead for lunch I presented the problem to the caretaker, who was more than willing to give me a roll, of 2 ply at that, and just requested a few dollars go to the tip jar! $5 is the most I have ever spent on 1 roll of TP and I would have done it again in a heart beat vs. not having it.

LIhikers
08-31-2008, 21:34
Have your friends and family send you half used rolls. They could even write you a letter on the paper.

Nearly Normal
08-31-2008, 22:52
TP supply is not that difficult.

Bearpaw
08-31-2008, 23:14
[quote=Blissful;687720]I'm sorry but isn't this stealing? One thing you don't want to do in towns is give hikers bad names.
[quote]

Since so many folks have commented on this, I feel the need to respond. When I stay in a hotel or resupply at a gas station, I have no problems grabbing 8 ot 10 squares a day extra for each day till my next resupply. If I took the rest of a trial size shampoo when I has used part, would that be stealing? I'm NOT saying take the whole roll, and I purposely did not include hostels because because they are so shoe-string on budgets as it is.

If you need to carry a full roll of TP, you are truly FOS. Yes, I meant it as a pun. A roll and change lasted me my entire thru-hike.

Lighten up folks. In more ways than one.

Panzer1
09-01-2008, 01:29
I don't like the idea of burning toilet paper because the burning embers tend to become airborne real easy.

Panzer

minnesotasmith
09-01-2008, 11:18
I don't like the idea of burning toilet paper because the burning embers tend to become airborne real easy.

Panzer

Is a questionable thing to do on dry days. A silver lining to the AT being wet half or more of the time is that the foilage is often damp enough burning wastepaper would arguably be low-risk.

TD55
09-02-2008, 19:59
After reading this thread, me thinks perhaps a thread is needed on commom trail ethics and manners. Burning crap paper at a fire pit!!! Are you kidding me?

TD55
09-02-2008, 20:12
Oh, ya, finding justification for stealing. It's not the monetary value of the toilet paper being stolen that is important, it's just stealing. I remember an old saying, "if a person will steal a buck, they'll steal ten of 'em". Even most thieves live by some minimum codes. They try not to steal from family and friends, not unless they are maybe H-junkies or crack heads. Folks along the trail that provide services to hikers should be treated like family.

taildragger
09-02-2008, 20:35
Oh, ya, finding justification for stealing. It's not the monetary value of the toilet paper being stolen that is important, it's just stealing. I remember an old saying, "if a person will steal a buck, they'll steal ten of 'em". Even most thieves live by some minimum codes. They try not to steal from family and friends, not unless they are maybe H-junkies or crack heads. Folks along the trail that provide services to hikers should be treated like family.

If I'm more diligent with the paper usage in the stall, then I feel that the 8-10 sheets I saved would be be alright.

So, is it stealing if you wad up a big ol' pile of TP and waste half a role on one dump. I've come into a crapper after this has been done, and if I owned an establishment, I'd rather just lose a few sheets of my bulk TP rather than deal with a clogged toilet.

Also, the TP in the hotel room is paid for with the room. End of story. :eek:

TD55
09-02-2008, 22:22
Like I said, "..finding justification for stealing." No one cares about 8 or 10 sheets of crap paper, unless 15 hikers come into your establishment one morning and each one takes 8 or 10 or a handful and you learn about it when another customer tells you your restroom is out of paper, so you have to stop what you are doing to restock the bathroom. When it becomes a routine you may start to get a negative attitude towards the inconciderate hikers.

If you wad up a big pile of TP and clog up the crapper, that would not be theft, that would be either vandalism or just being a not so nice person.

It's everyones own business as far as the definition of theft I suppose. For me, if I didn't pay for it, or if the owner doesn't know I am taking something, it's theft. Would you have the strenth of character to inform someone that you were taking some extra TP for some silly reason. Doesn't it sound kind of dumb. Would you ask the hotel clerk if you can take "leftover" TP after your stay?

I'm far more interested in what happens to the TP once it get's onto the trail. The trail has been degraded over the years by the lack of actual backpacking and hiking skills, ethics and behavior of hikers.

taildragger
09-02-2008, 22:32
So, if the paper is flushed at the establishment is it stealing? What if I returned the paper to its original bathroom after trail use and flushed it?

The bathroom is a free service. If you're gonna jack a roll of TP, thats abusing the system, using the term theft is just a way to guilt people (and stealing a roll is a jerk thing to do).

But the whole argument about being out of TP and that being an inconvenience for the clerk, doesn't that happen to TP, or has Georgia Pacific come up with a new finding that I am currently unaware of (regenerating TP). How does one tell if the TP was stolen? What if someone got the runs from filtering their water and used all the TP? What if I don't buy anything at the store and I use the restroom, is that stealing? If I am hiking in TX and I drink water out of a stream, am I stealing (technically yes by Texas water law, since I am using water w/o having water rights)?

Just think about it :welcome:

smokymtnsteve
09-02-2008, 22:36

ok if my family needs a little Tp they can take it ..no problem

Appalachian Tater
09-02-2008, 22:56
Gee people, buy a roll for under a dollar and if don't want to (or can't) carry all that weight, take what you want and give the rest to someone else or leave it in the hiker box or donate it to the hostel where you're staying.

I was in one town and the grocery store didn't have single rolls so the lady at the laundromat sold me one when I asked. I let her name the price and she said $0.50.

HikerMom58
07-25-2013, 13:19
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/76582_624132377605756_1868306013_n.jpgTP and TB- trash talkin!! Ah ha ha!!

moytoy
07-25-2013, 14:24
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/76582_624132377605756_1868306013_n.jpgTP and TB- trash talkin!! Ah ha ha!!
Now that is funny:)