PDA

View Full Version : tights v. mid-wt btms

cburnett
03-08-2004, 22:23
Would people provide their personal pro & cons of running tights? of mid-weight bottoms?

my specific interest is concerning wind resistence

do tight or md-wgt perform better?

what about chaffing?

has anyone had specific use of Duofold running tights? (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=32287031) ?

DeoreDX
03-08-2004, 22:42
Would people provide their personal pro & cons of running tights? of mid-weight bottoms?

my specific interest is concerning wind resistence

do tight or md-wgt perform better?

what about chaffing?

has anyone had specific use of Duofold running tights? (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=32287031) ?
I attempted to use some running tights this weekend while on Blood Mountain (Nike Drifit running tights). While the running tights are awsome while moving around, but just plain did not give any warmth while stopped. My legs got really chilled when the temps hit the mid 30's at night if I was not in my sleeping bag. This will probably not be a problem if you get in your bag once you get to camp... but they did not seem to offer me much warmth unless I was moving.

tlbj6142
03-09-2004, 09:59
If you have windshell pants (for stops and camp), they might be a good option. Cut down of chaffing without needing to carry body glide, provide some warmth and leg protection while hiking without the annoying floppy cuff feeling you get from trail pants.

Switch to spandex shorts once it gets warmer.

This past week I have been out walking/running in the evening (after 10pm) and have been completly conveinced that windshirts are the best 3oz you can carry in your pack. I would assume the same could be said for windpants. Though the later would come in contact with thorns and such more often than a windshirt.

chomp
03-09-2004, 10:21
I never found the need for tights on the AT. I did carry a pair of very light windpants and they suited my needs just fine. I wore them on cold, rainy days and I wore them in town when doing laundry. Being a runner, I use tights, but I find that windpants work much better for "hanging out" by a fire and whatnot. Wind resistance seems more important at night when you are not moving.

chris
03-09-2004, 10:29
I use midweight thermal bottoms rather than strict tights. But, the bottoms are cut like tights. I wore shorts over the bottoms a lot this summer in the early morning. It was cold enough on the PCT to warrant some extra warmth and I really like the stretchiness. If you are hiking in the spring or fall, consider something like: Windpants, shorts, and thermal bottoms. Poly or nylon pants are fine as well, but do much for wind.

Note: Unless you spring for heavy and expensive tights, neither they nor mid weight bottoms will do anything against the wind. When wind blows over them, you will lose warmth.

smokymtnsteve
03-09-2004, 10:46
a cheap pair of fleece excercise pants and a pair of long underwear...

having the two pieces allows you more layering options

Patco
03-09-2004, 11:27
First off, are you male or female?
My suggestion either way is to exchange the tights for something more 'normal' for off trail wear in the south. While most civilized, up to date, syntheticaly-advanced people groups would have no problem seeing a man or woman wearing spandex tights on the side of the road asking for a ride into hiawasee (Hillbilly capitol of the world), there might be a few uncivilized, out of date, syntheticaly-challenged individuals, out making a 'shine run from the still, who would be somewhat tempted to harrass said hiker in some fashion.
(If my stereotype is out of line, so sorry. I'd rather err on the side of safety)
:rolleyes:

I wore biking tights for several days through Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands area and they felt great and were functoinal except for the lack of pockets and the aforementioned lack of warmth when you stop walking.

Kozmic Zian
03-09-2004, 11:50
Yea.......Men in Tights! Of course, tights. They cut the wind and provide warmth. Anybody says different has the wrong kind. REI makes a good pair, make sure the ones you get area better than just underwear tights. They make different thicknesses and types. Some are better wind cutters than others. Make sure they fit well, I like a wide waist band. I'd rather wear tights (lightweight shorts over) than baggies, or zip offs. Tights give better overall support. They must be very good wickers. But, to each his own. It's like everything else in life......choices. KZ@

Glee
03-09-2004, 13:52
I purchased a pair of Under Armor pants the other day and I've wore them twice now and I can tell a major difference in a few areas. One is them really do seem to support my leg muscles very well and my legs don't seem as tired after a 18 mile hike. They wick very well as I sweat a great deal. (I have to drink 5 litters of water in 6 hours to stay up to par) They are not wind resistant but the weather in Northern CA hit the 80's yesterday and what wind there was felt great. I wear mine under pants and shirt but I would not have a problem wearing them ‘as is’ either. Of course the better shape you're in the better they will look on one. But then doing the AT is not about entering a beauty contest...

tlbj6142
03-09-2004, 15:22
Get them in black. Black is less reveiling (but in your case that won't be an issue):D IV is my youngest brother so I'm allowed to make fun of him.
Take a pair of umbros for town stops and doing laundry. And for warmer nights around camp.

geckobunny
03-09-2004, 20:29
I wore a pair of short duofold tights for about a week. They felt great, but weren't very durable. After I sat down, there was a hole in the rear, so I had to replace them in the next town. :datz

Patco
03-10-2004, 00:47
(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10)
cancel