PDA

View Full Version : Feet issues

MommaJ
08-24-2008, 19:00
I am an avid hiker and with age, (hate to admit this :)) my bunions are killing my feet. I have vasque back packing boots purchased at REI, I wear good socks. Anyone out there have the same situation? I am have heard many bad things about the surgery and do not want to be out of hiking for 3 months. :confused:

Blissful
08-24-2008, 20:14
Welcome to White Blaze! Good to hear from another fellow Virginian.

I don't have bunion problems but wondering if trail runners might be better than hiking boots? How do athletic shoes work for you? I use Brook Adrenaline ASR trail runners; never had blister issues or nail problems, etc. like I did with my hiking boots.

Tagless
08-24-2008, 23:04
When I first read your post I wasn't sure I knew what a bunion was. After reading this information (http://www.medicinenet.com/bunions/page2.htm), it seems like getting into a shoe with a "big toe box" might be helpful. The Montrail Hardrock trailrunners are one good option in this regard.

adventurousmtnlvr
08-25-2008, 00:20
I have a number of foot problems, past surgery, current heel spurs and yes a bunion on my right foot. My podiatrist says "Asics" (and get the type with mesh not leather) as they have a larger toe box. You can also put moleskin 'around' it .. cut a hole in the middle. Some medical supply places sell these gel pads just for bunions in fact that resembles a band for the foot with gel pads on the one side ... it works but it's hot to me and it has on part that goes between the big toe and other toes are all in same section. I tried cutting that to make just a band but it won't stay in place unless you use that big toe part sewn together. fyi ... I too refuse the surgery. My podiatrist wife is a runner, she had surgery and said it didn't help that much. But they are painful aren't they??

highway
08-25-2008, 05:43
I'd consider some trail sandal or.at least a cushioned trail runner with wide toe box. I had issues with my feet and sandals worked best..for me, that is

CherrypieScout
08-25-2008, 19:59
I had trouble with Vasque Sundowners - too stiff I think. I like a boot that is canvas (?) and leather. Lowa for example.

MommaJ
08-26-2008, 17:16
Appreciate the advice and yes very painful. That is what I get for wearing heels most of my adult life. That was before I took up hiking and was actually into my career and the "professional world". :) Now I just want to be "out there".

Nice Gallery by the way.

boarstone
08-26-2008, 18:45
I use to suffer w/bunions :( until I went w/a wide shoe/boot. Between flat feet and the bunions I was searching a spell before the suggestion was made to me to try the wide shoe sizes. I have a small foot but it splays out like a ducks:D... so a womens B width was not wide enough. I wear a youths size 5-6 in boots/sneakers, usually boys which are made wider than womens. I tried a boys Hi-Tec boot and never looked back..worked for me, maybe not for everyone...