PDA

View Full Version : Odd trail prank

Tennessee Viking
08-24-2008, 23:26
Sunday, I was returning up the Grassy Ridge climb back to Carvers, and passed a group of men and teenagers (all in camo) who said they were walk back home down in Roaring Creek. Also, the only people I encountered while on Grassy Ridge either direction.

When I reached the new relo trail, a large amount of brush was brought up on trail. Some of it was even pinned in between trees. Placed on rock work and steps. Even overhead branches were bent down to hit face level. Take in mind, when I walked it about 30 minutes before it was clear. It took me about 30 minutes to clear all the brush off of the 2000 foot length of the relo.

Is this just the most odd and pathetic attempt to punk hikers...

minnesotasmith
08-24-2008, 23:32
Sunday, I was returning up the Grassy Ridge climb back to Carvers, and passed a group of men and teenagers (all in camo) who said they were walk back home down in Roaring Creek. Also, the only people I encountered while on Grassy Ridge either direction.

When I reached the new relo trail, a large amount of brush was brought up on trail. Some of it was even pinned in between trees. Placed on rock work and steps. Even overhead branches were bent down to hit face level. Take in mind, when I walked it about 30 minutes before it was clear. It took me about 30 minutes to clear all the brush off of the 2000 foot length of the relo.

When I crossed into PA from MD in June 2006, I heard some hikers had gotten nailed by some fake white blazes some joker painted.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2008, 23:33
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/crockdundee.jpgNo Mate you have it wrong see- You are looking at it in an American sort of way .... They were testing your Bush wack'in skills! Wack On!

Blue Wolf
08-24-2008, 23:34
Some do good for the trails................some don't thats all I will say...........

mtnkngxt
08-24-2008, 23:36
Typical ran into some locals around Roanoke 2years ago who were having a good ole time trying to pile logs across the trail and tell me it was closed. Needless to say after them hasseling me for a good 20 minutes I turned to my then 55 pound pack and grabbed my hatchet and made the point that I was fat tired and couldnt breathe and didnt want to be messed with. Needless to say I've lightened my pack lost the hatchet lost the body weight, but to this day I cannot figure out why people feel the need to mess with other's work.

Lugnut
08-24-2008, 23:41
Thanks Ben!

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2008, 00:01
What does Esbit smell like? - Can't imagine.

Egads
08-25-2008, 06:57
When I crossed into PA from MD in June 2006, I heard some hikers had gotten nailed by some fake white blazes some joker painted.

Happened to me on the BMT. I was 3/4 mi the wrong way before I figured it out.

sasquatch2014
08-25-2008, 07:15
Does this mean that my plans to introduce a version of a trail rotary at intersecting trails will be met with resistance?:-?

Homer&Marje
08-25-2008, 07:25
Just make sure the Rotary is all sloppy mud to walk through, and if you could put lane markers like those little aluminum sticks with pink flags, that way we could have lots of people on the rotary at once. OH and do it at an intersection of like six trails so people don't know when to exit:D

Cabin Fever
08-25-2008, 08:00

I say we go Chuck Norris on those cats!

minnesotasmith
08-25-2008, 08:10
Does this mean that my plans to introduce a version of a trail rotary at intersecting trails will be met with resistance?:-?

Is "roundabout". You also hear the term "traffic circle".

cavscout
08-25-2008, 09:14
Just make sure the Rotary is all sloppy mud to walk through, and if you could put lane markers like those little aluminum sticks with pink flags, that way we could have lots of people on the rotary at once. OH and do it at an intersection of like six trails so people don't know when to exit:D

I can't get right! Look kids! Big Ben; Parliament!

Digger'02
08-25-2008, 10:33
could it be that Konnarock put the brush there on purpose?

MOWGLI
08-25-2008, 10:36
Take in mind, when I walked it about 30 minutes before it was clear.

could it be that Konnarock put the brush there on purpose?

Don't think so. Buliwyf is a trail maintainer.

Blissful
08-25-2008, 11:38
I've seen fake blazes painted on trees several times. Can't think of the areas offhand though. But you could tell they were fake - they were baaad.

Digger'02
08-25-2008, 14:43
Sometimes K-rock aren't the clearest communicators. Also, that relo isn't finished yet is it? The fact that the 'soon to be old AT' wasn't brushed in all the way (the last step when you open a relocation) makes me think that the Relo is still being worked on and the club doesn't want to reveal to the public that its there.

Buliwyf, did you get a chance to go out there with Konnarock? I'm pretty sure that that relo still needs work right?

Digger'02
08-25-2008, 14:46
then again I'm thinking of the relo from the little hump summit north to the campsite south of bradley gap.

Tennessee Viking
08-25-2008, 15:00
Sometimes K-rock aren't the clearest communicators. Also, that relo isn't finished yet is it? The fact that the 'soon to be old AT' wasn't brushed in all the way (the last step when you open a relocation) makes me think that the Relo is still being worked on and the club doesn't want to reveal to the public that its there.

Buliwyf, did you get a chance to go out there with Konnarock? I'm pretty sure that that relo still needs work right?
The prank was done on top of the mountain on Grassy Ridge where Hardcore worked. I walked it about 30min before and it was clear, and the way up I ran into only those folk. When I hit the relo on the way back, it was trashed with brush.

I went out with Konnarock on Little Hump one Friday. We finished the wooded section that day, and the club and crew worked on the next couple days on the sod. It won't open till next year to let the sod re-root.

We did open the Unaka re-route the next couple weeks.

sasquatch2014
08-25-2008, 16:10
Is "roundabout". You also hear the term "traffic circle".

I'll make sure to tell all the State Dept. of Transportation's that label their road signs with Rotary that they are wrong. If they have any questions I'll direct them to you if that's OK.