PDA

View Full Version : Tenting at Amicalola State Park

Kerosene
03-09-2004, 09:10
Three of us are planning to hike from Amicalola to Wallace Gap the first full week of April. We want to tent at the start of the approach trail on Saturday night, April 3rd, and get an early start the next morning.

Given that this is right in the middle of the thru-hiker rush, should we be concerned about available tent sites? I see that the Lodge is sold out for that weekend, so I wonder if we should try to reserve a tent site at the Park. There's an AT shelter at the start of the approach trail where we'd like to camp if there's room. Is it an option to stealth camp off to the side of the first mile of the approach trail? Any advice would be helpful.

hacksaw
03-09-2004, 11:30
Three of us are planning to hike from Amicalola to Wallace Gap the first full week of April. We want to tent at the start of the approach trail on Saturday night, April 3rd, and get an early start the next morning.

Given that this is right in the middle of the thru-hiker rush, should we be concerned about available tent sites? I see that the Lodge is sold out for that weekend, so I wonder if we should try to reserve a tent site at the Park. There's an AT shelter at the start of the approach trail where we'd like to camp if there's room. Is it an option to stealth camp off to the side of the first mile of the approach trail? Any advice would be helpful.

Kerosene
At Amicalola Falls State Park there are tent sites that are marked and reserved in advance DURING THE TIME OF YEAR THAT THE CAMPGROUND IS OPEN. You can contact the visitors center for the dates and details. The area around the shelter is rather hilly and not the best location for a tent, but it can be done. If you don't want to tent at the shelter (Which has been frowned on in previous years) and can't get a tentsite in the campground, and/or the shelter(reserved for thru-hikers or people planning to hike out of the park)is full your best bet is to hike up the approach trail out of the State Park (a mile or so will do it) and camp near the trail. Once you leave state park property you are in the Chatahoochee National Forest and in an area where camping is unrestricted.

Hacksaw

Happy
03-09-2004, 11:50
I agree with Hacksaw that the best bet is to hike the approach trail for 1 mile (the toughest) and cross the parking lot next to the falls and continue on trail and cross footbridge over nice stream. (retreive your camp water there) and cross service road and began accent which will put you out of the park at this point in a short distance and numerous nice camping spots (only 1/4 to 1/2 miles from top of falls) and unrestricted. Have a great TRIP!

Kerosene
03-09-2004, 11:57
Thanks a bunch, Hacksaw and Happy!

bearbait2k4
03-09-2004, 15:00
When I started my hike last year, I got to Amicolola SP the night of April 11th. Tent sites were not open yet.

bluelight
03-14-2004, 11:12
As of March 12th the campground at Amicalola Falls State Park was closed. We only saw two hikers stay at the approach shelter. The wire bunks in the shelter need some serious repair work.