PDA

View Full Version : What boot is keeping you walking?

darkage
08-25-2008, 13:45
Sup guys, too make a long story short ... all summer and last i got 0 blisters ... yes, ZERO ... This past weekend i didn't notice my boots "both" blewout in the heels on the inside with the gel inserts ... needless to say, i ended up with heel blister's about a quarter size an puffed out 3 coins stacked ... :eek:

SOOO, i never wanna feel that again =0

What are some boots you guys would recommend ? ...

I wear a size 13 .... lightweight is good ... I'm willing to spend the $$$ ...
Just not sure where to begin .... just looking for a few ideas and maybe personal opinions if you've tried a certain boot ...

Thanks,
Here's to hoping to more blister free hikes ...
:banana

minnesotasmith
08-25-2008, 13:55
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMO1201GT.htm

Tabasco
08-25-2008, 14:02
LL Bean Leather Cresta GTX. No break in required, LOVE mine, size 14 here

JumpInTheLake
08-25-2008, 14:09
I've got a pair of Merrell Perimeters (http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZGP/Mens-Active-Footwear/Hiking/Mens/Perimeter-Gore-Tex.aspx) that are full leather and lightweight. They feel great.

Blissful
08-25-2008, 14:10
My son is really liking his Montrail hardrocks. And they are on sale at Sierra Trading Post.

bigcranky
08-25-2008, 14:38
Salomon XA Comp.

But buying boots or trail shoes is all about what fits *you* not what fits me. What were you wearing that "blew out?" Trail runners will last me about a season, then need to be replaced.

darkage
08-25-2008, 14:42
Cheap pair of Ozark Trail peyton II is what i was wearing .... I understand what fits you and is comfortable won't be for me ...

I'm just looking for an idea on were to start when i head to an outfitter ... thanks! =]

bkrownd
08-25-2008, 14:44
My favorite dry weather boots are the Alico Summits I got from sierratradingpost. They aren't waterproof though, and I haven't tried using any waterproofing goo them yet. I use a less treasured pair of boots in the mud and rain. ;)

darkage
08-25-2008, 14:44
bah, hit reply too quick and can't edit ...

Also note, those cheap boots kept me blister free and comfy for 2 years .... I'd imagine investing abit more into my boots breathing and features will do me well ...

Mags
08-25-2008, 14:55
Are you looking for boots or are trail shoes an option? Do you have a narrow or wide foot? How heavy is your pack typically for a typical overnighter?

I ask these questions, because depending upon your preferences and packing style, one shoe may be better for you than another.

FWIW, I found the Crest hikers to be a great traditional leather boot back when I hiked in boots regularly.

I now use Hi Tec altitudes for trailwork. They are a light, all leather boot and have a very small break in process. I've suggested these boots to many of my friends who want a traditional boot for backpacking. At ~$75 MSRP, they are a good deal.

For my own hiking (with a light pack), I've had good luck with Montrail Hardrocks.

If you want to try a light shoe, but aren't quite ready for trail runners, Montrail now makes a boot version of the Hardrocks. I am not sure how these boots are in the field, though, and have yet to hear any LONG TERM reports (more than a few months and for many people) good or bad about them. They are very new, but they do look promising.

Here are some initial reviews:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Trail%20Shoes/Montrail%20Hardrock%20Mid/

Homer&Marje
08-25-2008, 15:27
I have bad ankles, ASOLO is my boot of choice. Pricy, but necessary

sasquatch2014
08-25-2008, 16:06
For about 500 miles or so I had Montrail GTX. like clock work by the 3rd day I was blistered so badly that it was like surgical procedure to get ready in the AM. I have switched to the Keen's in a mid hight and so far i love them have had them about 2 months or so now and while I can feel the trail a bit more through them they are much more comfortable and lighter than the Montrails so I hope this will do the trick. I use the Montrails when I go out to do trail work.

Gaiter
08-25-2008, 16:13
whatever boots u get get some body glide too

darkage
08-25-2008, 16:20
My pack weight for 5+ days is generally 35-42 lbs depending on ammount of water i'm carrying ... Far as i know i don't need a wide boot, and i am flat footed ... I really require ankle support ... i'm 6'4 and 230 lbs ... plus i carry alittle more weight than some from posts i've read ... Even on weekend trips i seem to carry food enough for 5 days to get used to the weight for longer trips ... A highly breathable sturdy boot with perhaps a feature for rock protection since i live in PA and they just shred my feet up ... I'd like to NOT feel the rocks, tight fitting boot with lots of breathing ... waterproofing isn't needed ... i've had waterproof boots an they still got wet regardless ... an take longer to dry once soaked.

Mags
08-25-2008, 16:24
The new Montrail boots may be just the ticket. Moderate weight load capacity, breathability and a pedigree of a good shoe.

>>i've had waterproof boots an they still got wet regardless ... an take longer >>to dry once soaked.

Ain't that the truth!

Mr HaHa
08-25-2008, 17:07
Montrail Hardrocks. Great shoe for pronators. They allowed my heel spur problem to just go away! They are the best piece of gear I have ever owned.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-25-2008, 17:18
Salomon XA Comp.

But buying boots or trail shoes is all about what fits *you* not what fits me. What were you wearing that "blew out?" Trail runners will last me about a season, then need to be replaced.
First good answer:):)

Reid
08-25-2008, 18:08
As a general guideline I personally don't buy boots that have thick soles or hard toe tops. I like boots that fit like socks and are very flexible from the get go. I wear vasque sundowners.

fehchet
08-25-2008, 18:27
Merrell Chameleons (sp) They make them with Gortex or not. My size 13 wide feet love them -- never a hot spot or blister. No break in time for me YMMV.

Cabin Fever
08-25-2008, 18:31
Merrell Chameleons (sp) They make them with Gortex or not. My size 13 wide feet love them -- never a hot spot or blister. No break in time for me YMMV.

I second that on the Chameleons. I have had some for three years and except for the paint spots, look next to new. I use Asolo boots for more rugged terrain. They are awesome.

Jim Adams
08-25-2008, 20:01
Splpmpn XA's rock. I love mine.

Used a pair of BRAND NEW Ozark Trails in '02 during my hike thru Pa......they lasted 3 days before the soles split in several places and I threw them in the garbage.

geek

Toolshed
08-25-2008, 20:43
duplicate to next post.....

Toolshed
08-25-2008, 20:44
Opinions on boots are worth what you are paying for them here.
get your hiking socks and Go over to Nestors and then the Surplus store on Grape and try some boots on - ask for a brannock device and have your foot measured. A good bootier will realize that length isn't where the toe ends, but where it breaks. Walk around for a half hour in the pairs you like and make notes (bring pad & pencil and take notes).
If nothing rings your bell, Cast your net wider - There are too many outfitters and bootmakers to have substandard fitting boots.
REI in Conshohocken is an hour drive from here (Bethlehem). Campmor is 1.5 hour Drive (and a nifty store) from here. EMS is 45 minute away in Bridgewater NJ and Cabella's is 45 minutes away in Hamburg.
That's 6 outfitters within an easy drive.
You and only you can decide to go with lightweight trailshoes, lightweight boots or heavier and more traditional leather boots, but you should be patient and thorough.
If you find a pair that you really like, get em and wear them at home, inside only for the first week. If you still like them, keep them. If not send them back. Most outfitters allow up to 30 days return (Campmor and REI -1 year) if they have not been worn outside or scuffed.
If after 2-3 months you find you really really like them, go back and get another pair to save for the future in the event the bootmaker stops making them. You could also email the bootmaker to find out what last they use and if they use that last in any other shoe, thereby increasing the available number of models of boots you might like.

fiddlehead
08-25-2008, 20:55
I rarely get blisters.
I blew out my 3 year old Montrail's last week so: i bought a similar pair on ebay.
however i will wait until i get home to the states in Oct before using them as it cost too much to ship them over here. (thai)
SO, i went to a used shoe store here that had about 5,000 pair of all kinds of shoes.
AFter about an hour, i had it down to 6 different pair including 2 New Balance pair.

I bought one of them ($6/pr.) and went out walking (felt good as they were trail runners with a good tread which is what i need in the wet jungles here) but then, i went out jogging with them on the blacktop roads. Got a blister on my toe. (upper part)

I think the reason is because i couldn't buy them a size or 2 too big as big shoes are so hard to find here. (thai people are smaller than caucasions by comparison)
So, they are my size but for running, gave me a blister.

Even with the blister, took them out hiking again yesterday to no problems for walking.

Had a great day on the trail by the way and came upon an elephant camp where the mahouts told me that i shouldn't be out there as there are too many snakes including king cobras. And then came across a group of monks living in real rustic huts in the jungle. I think i scared them a bit when i came out of a thick bushwhack into their camp. Putting some pictures up today on my blog (http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2008/08/12/trailblazing-in-phuket/)

sbennett
08-25-2008, 21:42
if you never got blisters in your old boots until they blew out, just get another pair of the same thing and be a bit more mindful two years from now when they blow out again

two years for a cheap pair of boots is a pretty good lifespan

like one of two others have already mentioned, you need to explain a bit more about your feet and what you do in the boots for decent recommendations....

strnorm
08-26-2008, 00:31
HI TEC you cant beat them, waterproof leather over the ankle

minnesotasmith
08-26-2008, 00:39
If ANY of these manufacturers (other than the one I mentioned that I use) makes trailworthy footwear in size 2E or 4E. I can't find a one.

fiddlehead
08-26-2008, 01:08
Don't know what size they make but Montrail's seem to be wider than the rest.
They seem to last longer too. (but maybe a slight bit heavier)

gaga
08-26-2008, 12:02
no one likes Timberland :confused:
http://www.timberland.com/family/index.jsp?totalProductsCount=25&pageType=family&cp=1779791.1761081&pageNum=1&showSizeSearch=true&int_nextBucket=0&categoryId=2150754&pageCount=2&int_prevBucket=-1&hasPagination=false&pageDisplay=superfamily%2Cfilter&page_bucket=0&page=2&pageBucket=0&view=all

Mags
08-26-2008, 12:45
no one likes Timberland :confused:

As others said, Timberland boots may be best for YOU.

So many different choices. What is crap for one person may be golden for another.

I can give general guidelines, but ultimately you have to try different shoes to get a good shoe for your backpacking style, fit and personal preference.

darkage
08-27-2008, 22:04
REI is having a huge sale till 9/1 ... Just in time eh ... heading up this weekend to get my feet measured and hunt down a pair of boots ... thanks all for your input ...

toddhiker
08-27-2008, 22:14
The best I've owned are LLBean Goretex Cresta Hikers.

I, too wear a 13. No break-in period necessary, and they're great on sand, rocks, whatever.

That said, I still own them, but have used trailrunners exclusively for several yrs.

darkage
08-29-2008, 21:52
After going around today and trying on several pair's and getting my feet double checked in measurement, i finally settled on the merrell evo chameleon size 13's ... they fit perfect ... Most i tried on were too small width wise and didn't come in wide "or they didn't have them in stock" ... the evo's were the perfect boot for my foot ... Thanks again for all the info and feedback ... They feel alot better than i thought a good boot would ...

Toolshed
08-30-2008, 09:21
Great to hear it worked out well. I anm just finishing up my boot hunt and have hit Campmor and REI as well as Grape street.
I ended up with a pair of Asolo TPS520 and Asolo Powermatic 200's. I brought both pairs home as I was not sure and haved been wearing them in thehouse for the past few weeks.
I ended up speaking with Asolo and the Powermatics are the newer version, but the same last..... So the TPS's go back next week.

kayak karl
10-11-2008, 10:28
I bought the 1201 boot http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMO1201GT.htm. been waring it for 3 weeks now. hiking, working (roofs and ladders) walks. it took a week to break in (no blisters or nothing) but stiff. NOW just like all my other NB shoes i love them. worth what i paid. ware size 13 also.

Mrs Baggins
10-14-2008, 07:52
Hi-Tech Altitude IV - - on my fourth pair in 6 years and wouldn't buy anything else. All leather, high cut (protects my ankles and supports them - - low cuts make my ankles hurt and they get banged on rocks), Gortex lined for excellent water proofing. Never had so much as a drop of water get inside even when stream crossing. No blisters.

Yukon
10-14-2008, 08:46
My pack weight for 5+ days is generally 35-42 lbs depending on ammount of water i'm carrying ... Far as i know i don't need a wide boot, and i am flat footed ... I really require ankle support ... i'm 6'4 and 230 lbs ... plus i carry alittle more weight than some from posts i've read ... Even on weekend trips i seem to carry food enough for 5 days to get used to the weight for longer trips ... A highly breathable sturdy boot with perhaps a feature for rock protection since i live in PA and they just shred my feet up ... I'd like to NOT feel the rocks, tight fitting boot with lots of breathing ... waterproofing isn't needed ... i've had waterproof boots an they still got wet regardless ... an take longer to dry once soaked.

This description is very close to mine, I'm 6'-5", 235lbs and carry about the same weight in my pack. I also do not have wide feet but am a size 14. I bought the ASOLO TPS 520 GV boots and I don't have enough good things to say about them. Little more expensive than most but your feet are very important...

Yukon
10-14-2008, 08:48
Ok, I never checked the dates on the posts and didn't realize you had already bought some...good luck with the new boots!

dan8794
10-14-2008, 08:55
I use Chaco Redrock trail shoes.

I am a size 12 and bought the shoes to match.

These shoes are not waterproof, but dry very quickly.

I hiked in a downpour Wednesday night, and when I got off the trail this past Sunday, I had no blisters.

Great shoes, requires little break-in.

Cost about $90

LIhikers
10-14-2008, 18:13
I've been using Vasque Clarion boots, with good luck, for years.

Zzzzdyd
10-14-2008, 20:21
Montrail Hardrocks. Great shoe for pronators. They allowed my heel spur problem to just go away! They are the best piece of gear I have ever owned.

Another vote for Hardrocks !!

aaroniguana
10-14-2008, 20:34
Merrell Moab Ventilator Mids. Great boot.

BlackCloud
10-17-2008, 01:08
L.L. Bean boots are the best value. Comfort is another issue, but all L.L. footwear that I've purchased have only reinforced my conviction to only buy L.L. Bean.

I have flat feet that don't like to stand, let alone walk miles.......

Jaybird
10-17-2008, 05:10
Sup guys, too make a long story short ... all summer and last i got 0 blisters ... yes, ZERO ... This past weekend i didn't notice my boots "both" blewout in the heels on the inside with the gel inserts ... needless to say, i ended up with heel blister's What are some boots you guys would recommend ? ... :banana

Darkage,

Asking what particular boot to wear is like asking a hiker how to hike each step all the way to Katahdin. (hike "your" own hike)

Do your homework, investigate the lightweight models, & go try on a few @ your local outfitter...then buy them as cheep as you can find them.:D

good luck with your hike!

Tinker
10-17-2008, 23:31
Keen Newport watersport sandals. Hiked 20 miles of the Hundred Mile Wilderness with them after my low tops stretched out badly, plus the 10 miles to the base of Katahdin, the mountain, and Tues. and Wed. this week, Mts. Madison, Adams, and Jefferson in the WMNF.
I used Sealskinz socks for these miles.

darkage
10-20-2008, 21:16
I've had a pair since post #33 ... still find them to be the most amazing thing i ever put on my feet ... ha ... just pointing that out ... some of ya are only reading the front page, and not the replys .. its all good ... just saying, i've found my boots! =]

hnryclay
10-20-2008, 22:52
I use the Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes, and they are great. Except in snow, which leads me to ask has anyone tried the Vasque Summits? I really enjoy winter camping, esspecially in snow and would love some advice on a good boot for this. I have tried trail runners in snow and frankly they are not for me, even though I love them the rest of the time.