PDA

View Full Version : Cook-kit Weight

flyfisher
03-09-2004, 13:35
I have enjoyed seeing the weight of different people's tent, pad, pack, and bag. What about weight of the whole cookkit?

pot(s)
cozie(s)
potholder
pot scrubber
soap/detergent for cookware
tableware
cup, dish
stove
fuel container and fuel for 7 days
matches, firestarter
stuff sack(s) for storage

Total:

No "right" answer here. I am both curious and interested in each person's individual answers.

Streamweaver
03-09-2004, 14:11
1 qt ss pot /lid- 8.5 ozs
8 oz plastic cup 1
ss spoon .5
plastic matchbox/matches1
p-38 canopener .5
Gaz stove/full canister 24
reflectix cozy 1.5
mesh stuff sac 1
total 38 ozs Streamweaver

Happy
03-09-2004, 14:37
8.6 oz----.80 capacity, "Trangia 28" aluminum pot & lid/coated frying pan with stove, potholder, aluminum foil (for under alcohol stove), scrubber (small piece of onion sack) all inside and snapped shut.

3.1 oz----Mug/bowl/cozie/hydrator/measuring cup (SGT. Rock's lemonaid jar)

0.3 oz----lexan spoon

2.0 oz----matches, lighter and 2 esbit tabs

0.6 oz----silnylon stuff sack

0.9 oz----(20 oz) soda bottle for fuel

Total = 15.5 oz (plus 16 ounces of denatured alcohcol)

firefly
03-09-2004, 14:48
Since I mostly boil and bag I keep it pretty simple: My cookset weighs 1 lb..it incluces the SnowPeak mini solo cookset-titanium (5.8 oz) a SnowPeak giga-stove..a small fuel canister..a SnowPeak spork..a small pot scrubber..a small piece of a pack towell and a lighter...I have other stuff but I have evolved to this rig..this gives me a 28oz pot to boil water in with a seperate cup. And it all packs up inside the pot with the cup nesting on the bottom..very neat..I can go a long time on a small cannister.

flyfisher
03-09-2004, 15:23
Since I mostly boil and bag I keep it pretty simple: My cookset weighs 1 lb..it incluces the SnowPeak mini solo cookset-titanium (5.8 oz) a SnowPeak giga-stove..a small fuel canister..a SnowPeak spork..a small pot scrubber..a small piece of a pack towell and a lighter...I have other stuff but I have evolved to this rig..this gives me a 28oz pot to boil water in with a seperate cup. And it all packs up inside the pot with the cup nesting on the bottom..very neat..I can go a long time on a small cannister.

I looked up some of the components:

Mini solo titanium cookset: 5.5 oz
Snow Peak titanium stove 3.0 oz
small cartridge 3.9 oz
spork, scrubber, towel,
and lighter (approx) 1.5 oz

Total: about 14 oz

If misrepresented, please correct me

okpik
03-09-2004, 16:05
0.7L grease pot from WallyWorld(2.75cups)
cozy/bowl from ripstop fabric traveling dog dish
lexan spoon & fork
wooden chopsticks
windscreen/heat reflector
Altoid or turbo V8 stove (have not decided which one I like better yet)
stuff sack
small bic lighter and/or matches
Total 16oz
16oz of Methyl Alcohol
I do boil in bag so throw in a couple of oven bags/zip tops and I'm good to go.
I drink from lexan Nalgene in camp and use it to rehydrate food between lunch and dinner while I hike and I use a 1.5L bladder on the trail to drink.

melnooshca
03-09-2004, 16:24
what do you mean boil and bag....i've read it a few times and i'm curious. im supposed to start my thru-hike in july...from maine. just waiting to get out of school...

hungryhowie
03-09-2004, 16:41
pot - MSR Titan Kettle - 4oz
cozie - 0oz - (just use the lid)
potholder - 0oz - (pot has handles)
pot scrubber - 0oz - (use finger, water, and dirt)
soap/detergent for cookware - 0oz - (boil water next time, use soap in town)
tableware - Spoon - 1oz
cup, dish - 0oz - (use pot)
stove - tuna can and wire mesh stand - 1oz
fuel container and fuel for 7 days - 20oz coke bottle, alcohol (I can go for 4-5 weeks on this) - 20oz
matches, firestarter - lighter - 0.5oz
stuff sack(s) for storage - Ursack - 6oz

Total: 32.5oz

-Howie

Happy
03-09-2004, 17:04
what do you mean boil and bag....i've read it a few times and i'm curious. im supposed to start my thru-hike in july...from maine. just waiting to get out of school...

A lot of people will just boil the amount of water to prepare their meal (usually 1 to 2 cups is adequate). They then pour the water in a baggie and seal it and put it back in the pot or some container and put a cozy over the pot or wrap some type of clothing for insulation and this allows the meal to continue to cook/simmer without using additional heavy fuel.

You eat the food out of the bag and if any leftovers reseal bag and put it in the trash or if I might want it for breakfast I pull it out in the AM. No pot cleanup and fast and efficient!

flyfisher
03-09-2004, 17:06
pot - Antigravity 3 cup, with top 3.7 oz
cozie(s) 0 oz
potholder 1 oz
pot scrubber 0 oz (use leaves/dirt)
soap/detergent for cookware dittos
tableware lexan spoon .3 oz
cup, dish plastic cup 1 oz
stove CoffeeStove 3 oz
fuel container and fuel for 7 days 0 oz (twigs)
matches, firestarter 1 oz
stuff sack(s) for storage silnylon .5 oz

Total: 10.5 oz

CoffeeStove at:

http://www.imrisk.com/woodgas/coffeestove.htm

Like HH, I carry food in an Ursack, but think of that as food weight instead of cookkit. Mine weighs 5 oz if you feel like adding it.

weary
03-09-2004, 17:08
18.0 oz -- Zip Stove with battery
1.5 -- plastic cup (25 years ago it held margarine)
9.0 -- Aluminum 2 qt. pot and cover
2.0 -- WWII Army surplus stainless steel tablespoon
1.0 -- Bic Lighter
1.0 -- spare wooden matches
0.5 -- plastic grocery bag to hold sooty pot
____
32.0 -- Total weight

I know. I could shave an ounce. The spoon is needlessly heavy, but it's indestructible and free. I inherited it from my folks who camped for two months every summer for nearly 60 years.

Weary

Doc
03-14-2004, 10:23
I just weighed my kitchen bag at 22 ozs. Has titanium pot and top, Pocket Rocket, fuel canister for 10 days, plastic cup, lexan fork and spoon, bottle of soap, pot scrubbers,bic lighter all in a Golite sack. On long hikes I take 2-3 Esbit tabs in my pack as sort of a fall back plan.

Doc

StoveStomper
03-14-2004, 12:38
You guys are way heavy.;)

Take a look at my less than 5 oz set.
http://www.datasync.com/~wksmith/lizstove.html
I made this set for a lady friend of mine.
She was pretty happy with it.

Add 0.3 lexan spoon, 0.5 mini lighter, 1.3 plastic cup, 1.0 drink bottle for fuel, to the 4.8 base weight = 7.9 oz (plus whatever 14 fl oz of alcohol weights)
I use a Henry Shires TarpTent, so the two 'extra' stakes that are used on the middle sides are used for the potstand/windscreen.

Cheers,
StoveStomper

flyfisher
03-14-2004, 14:47
You guys are way heavy.;)

Take a look at my less than 5 oz set.
http://www.datasync.com/~wksmith/lizstove.html
I made this set for a lady friend of mine.
She was pretty happy with it.

Cheers,
StoveStomper

Looks great Stovestomper. Nice, clean, ultralight set-up.

How much would the full weight be if you add the alcohol and bottle for a week, spoon or other flatware, any additional cup, matches, cozy if you use it, and cleaning supplies? Any problem keeping the tent/tarp up while cooking, as you show (I guess) titanium stakes used as part of the set-up?

Kerosene
03-14-2004, 16:43
5.3 1.5L titanium non-stick pot
0.0 cozy
0.5 Aluminum foil (potgrabber, lid & windscreen)
0.0 pot scrubber
0.0 soap/detergent for cookware
0.2 Lexan spork
1.0 8-oz. plastic cup
3.5 SnowPeak GigaPower titanium stove with lighter
7.0 100g iso-butane canister (7+ days for one person)
1.0 mesh bag
---
18.5 ounces

I typically do 1-2 week section hikes with this setup, but I'd probably move to an alcohol stove if I was thru-hiking. My opportunity is to replace the pot with something smaller and a touch lighter.

melnooshca
03-14-2004, 19:51
thanks happy!

firefly
03-14-2004, 23:02
Flyfisher..I listed the incorrect Snowpeak Cookkit I was using but I had trouble with the handles this weekend when my hands got cold. I think I am go back to my old reliable cookset..a MSR TI-kettle and a snowpeak 1.5 oz cup. When I go out for 10 days in april I will switch over to the antigravity rig with the pot/stove/cozie and still use the snowpeak cup. UGG I am such a gear geek..Will you be at Rainbow Springs at the end of this month?

flyfisher
03-15-2004, 08:38
Will you be at Rainbow Springs at the end of this month?

Still in the discussion phase. I will either be there or day hiking with my pretty EllieD up in VA. Her birthday is that weekend. It depends a little on what my son wants to do.

Jaybird
03-15-2004, 10:17
I have enjoyed seeing the weight of different people's tent, pad, pack, and bag. What about weight of the whole cookkit?No "right" answer here. I am both curious and interested in each person's individual answers.

the Jaybird 2004 list:

pot(s) 1 ltr Ti. pot=less than 5oz (w/ handle)cozie(s) none
potholder see above
pot scrubber are u kidding???????????
soap/detergent for cookware never
tableware you're carrying a table??????
cup, dish ti cup=1oz no stinkin' dishes (eat outta the pot!)
stove MSR Pocket Rocket 4oz
fuel container and fuel for 7 days Pocket Rocket 1 canister=4ozmatches, firestarter waterproof matches=1oz
stuff sackstorage:carry all the above in cookpot stuffed into foodbag(6oz)

Total: 1lb 5oz :D

ga2me97
03-15-2004, 11:42
MSR TI Kettle - 4oz
Lexan Spoon - .5oz?
MSR Fuel Cannister - 8oz
MSR Pocket Rocket - 4oz
Matches - .5oz?

Total - 17oz

schrochem
03-16-2004, 16:51
Risk,
I really like the coffee stove concept. Did you ever try it with a tuna can or maybe even a higher corn type can? Just curious for those of us with narrower pots. I might give it a shot and see what happens.
Also, what you if you are getting soaked by rain and all the "fuel" is wet?
I read about the zip stove in the complete walker I believe and he mentioned picking up sticks and dung throughout the day (which would be added weight) so if that is the practice that weight has to be added in.
thanks for the info
scott

flyfisher
03-16-2004, 19:40
Risk,
I really like the coffee stove concept. Did you ever try it with a tuna can or maybe even a higher corn type can? Just curious for those of us with narrower pots. I might give it a shot and see what happens.
Also, what you if you are getting soaked by rain and all the "fuel" is wet?
I read about the zip stove in the complete walker I believe and he mentioned picking up sticks and dung throughout the day (which would be added weight) so if that is the practice that weight has to be added in.
thanks for the info
scott

Glad you like the idea. I have been trying different twig stoves for many months now. I liked the idea of the Zip stove, but it was way too heavy.

I have used several smaller pots as inverted draft woodgas stoves. These work best as fill and start sorts of stoves. (I have them listed on my imrisk homepage.) I have been impressed that finding a stove which creates a good draft is a little like designing a good chimney that draws. It takes some experimenting to come up with a combination that works just right. I have now used the CoffeeStove on several hikes, in wind and in calm, in cold weather and moderate. I am excited about this little simple stove. The fact that it is 15 oz lighter than the Zip Stove, costs essentially nothing, and does not need a battery is really exciting.

For moderately soaking days... I often find plenty of dry twigs under or next to a shelter. Big rocks often have some dry twigs in their lee. After a couple days of downpour, when everything is wet, I can usually split a small log with my knife and then split out small pieces of the inside of the log to be used as twigs. This works best with cedar or hemlock, which burn even when wet. It works pretty well with most pine as well.

Only once did I decide to pick up some twigs one afternoon. It had been dry all day. I was headed south over Three Ridges in VA. I was about an hour away from Harper's Creek Shelter. It began to get really dark really fast. I gathered up a hat full of dry twigs before the T-storm hit. But it turned out that there were a bunch of dry twigs behind the Harper's Creek Shelter anyway.

Almost everywhere on the AT, even at shelters, there are usually enough twigs within reach on the ground to cook supper with the CoffeeStove. But, if everyone starts using one, I'll end up having to walk a few yards to get enough twigs.

jec6613
03-17-2004, 11:59
My "cook kit for two":

Coleman Peak 1 Apex II multifuel stove.
2 Canisters fuel (enough fuel for almost 30 days, but I always carry an extra "just in case")
Coleman Peak 1 cookset - just one pot for me but the whole thing if I'm going with someone else.
Lexan bowl, fork and spoon (x2)
Small scrubber.
Windproof lighter and a container of waterproof matches.

Total weight: Almost 4 lbs, although it becomes significantly lighter when it's either this OR the 4 lb tent. I've carried this with up to a 5 person hike and it only made it to 4.5 lbs with the extra dishes and silverware, so I guess my weight per person depends heavily on the number of people.

yogi clyde
03-17-2004, 20:30
Aluminum Pot (original sold as a grease pot, it has a built in handle like a mug)
and foil lid 3.7 oz

Empty fuel bottle 1.0
Plastic container and lid (from chinese takeout) 1.2
Lexan spoon .3

Stove .3
Windscreen & potholder (stovestomper design) 1.1

Total weight 7.7 (I know the parts add up to 7.6 - one of those things)

Add another .5 for a stuff sack.

Thinking about making a cozy - old foam pad or hi tech wrap?

Also, I like my pot, but would like to find a lite non-stick one.

flyfisher
03-18-2004, 08:02
Also, I like my pot, but would like to find a lite non-stick one.

I'd highly recommend the Antigravity 3 cup, non stick pot. And it is quite reasonable in price!

http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/3-cup-pot.html

Here is my review of the whole Antigravity Mama's Kitchen, including the pot:

http://tinyurl.com/3ct3p