PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 22:13
I bought one of these last week, replacing my old one that I've had for a few year.

They've made some small nice changes. One is confusing. They now have a top lid, which is very nice. They're is a long strap/buckle that goes OVER top of the lid and cinches down at the back and top of the bag. This seems odd to me since the lid cannot cover where this buckles and looks like a good place for water to collect and go into the bag. I think if would have been better is this strap went UNDER the lid. That way the lid would completely cover this buckle and IMO be more water proof.

Has anybody else observed this?

I'm thinking of cutting a small slit in the lid to move this strap underneath the lid.

Sidewinder
08-25-2008, 22:19
Hikerhead, can you post a photo? I have a Catalyst, but haven't seen a top lid and I can't find one on ULA's website

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 22:28
Hikerhead, can you post a photo? I have a Catalyst, but haven't seen a top lid and I can't find one on ULA's website

It shows it on their site. It's not a pocket, just a piece of material that covers the top. But I'll try to post some pics to show what I mean. Is yours this years model?

cburnett
08-25-2008, 22:29
The ULA Catalyst, has not been made with a removable top lid as the former p1 and p2. The Catalyst is designed with a roll top which buckles to sides. Then there is a single strap which aids compression and load control across the top and offer a space to hold gear externally.

Regarding, water: The grid-stop dyneema is not water proof - true. With a properly rolled lid it is unlike water would flow into the body of the bag, however materials may saturate. If it is raining this much, I'd suggest using a packcover.

Casey Burnett
Customer Service
www.ula-equipment.com

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 22:36
The ULA Catalyst, has not been made with a removable top lid as the former p1 and p2. The Catalyst is designed with a roll top which buckles to sides. Then there is a single strap which aids compression and load control across the top and offer a space to hold gear externally.

Regarding, water: The grid-stop dyneema is not water proof - true. With a properly rolled lid it is unlike water would flow into the body of the bag, however materials may saturate. If it is raining this much, I'd suggest using a packcover.

Casey Burnett
Customer Service
www.ula-equipment.com

Thanks for the reply...that's top notch.

Absolutly I would not hike in the rain without a packcover on, with any pack.

I just thought it was odd to put the strap over top of the lid instead of underneath it. I'm sure you looked at it both ways before mfging it this way.
Maybe it's to make sure the lid won't get away ha ha. :)

These are the nicest lightest packs that I've own, and I have a nice collection.

Sidewinder
08-25-2008, 22:55
It shows it on their site. It's not a pocket, just a piece of material that covers the top. But I'll try to post some pics to show what I mean. Is yours this years model?

I got mine in Dec 07, it's a roll top with two side straps and one strap over the top, it looks exactly like the one on the ULA site, no lid. In the rain I use a pack cover.

Great pack!

TwoForty
08-25-2008, 22:56
It's not really a lid as much as a closure. Unbuckle everything, roll the excess material like a drybag, clip the sides down, and then clip the top strap in. It my favorite closure system. I can't stand packs with lids now.

Just curious, why did you replace your first Catalyst? Mine probably has 800 miles on it and it's about 16 months old. It's not even close to being done yet.

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 23:08
It's not really a lid as much as a closure. Unbuckle everything, roll the excess material like a drybag, clip the sides down, and then clip the top strap in. It my favorite closure system. I can't stand packs with lids now.

Just curious, why did you replace your first Catalyst? Mine probably has 800 miles on it and it's about 16 months old. It's not even close to being done yet.

I did a winter hike with Rock last fall in the 20 mile section of GSMNP and I over stuffed it and when cinching it up, it went pop. It was my fault. I tried sewing it up but I'm no semstress.

But they have now doubled up on this point of attachment.

TwoForty
08-25-2008, 23:11
What blew out? I have done horrible horrible things to mine. I actually fit a Bearvault 400 down to the very bottom of the pack, sideways. I think it was designed to carry it up top, where it is wider.

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 23:18
What blew out? I have done horrible horrible things to mine. I actually fit a Bearvault 400 down to the very bottom of the pack, sideways. I think it was designed to carry it up top, where it is wider.

It was where this same strap buckles to the pack, this was a P2. No lid. Right above the large pocket on the back errrrrr...the front.

Cuffs
08-25-2008, 23:20
You do know the 'back' is actually the 'front' right?

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 23:37
You do know the 'back' is actually the 'front' right?

So which side is the left and what side is the right? :)

Yeah, the back goes against your back. I turn them around when I'm not thinking real hard.

Cuffs
08-25-2008, 23:43
the one on the right, of course! I only mention the front/back thing because I goofed it up for the longest time!

Hikerhead
08-25-2008, 23:45
Gotcha....thanks!