PDA

View Full Version : Water Filters

Hne913
08-26-2008, 10:19
ok.. I have to put the dancing banana on here.. :banana

Anyways. My boyfriend and I are going to attempt a thru-hike in '09, leaving mid to late March, North-bound.

Any ideas on good water filters or light-weight water supplies?

Thanks

Lyle
08-26-2008, 10:24
AquaMira - light, compact, no bad taste. Just mildly inconvenient, not the cheapest, but not outlandish either.

Others will have other opinions. This is a very personal preference type decision you will need to make. For me, the bad taste of Iodine and the bulkiness and fiddle factor of filters make AquaMira the winner.

edit: Congratulation on your decision to Thru Hike. Best of Luck - I'm jealous!

KG4FAM
08-26-2008, 10:33
Chemicals are the lightest, but I carry a pump. I like the ability to pump anything that I can get the hose into and not have to wait to drink it.

Hne913
08-26-2008, 10:33
Thank you! Some other ones I saw on-line are:
-SteriPEN Classic
-MSR Miox
-Katadyn Exstream XR Bottle Purifier...

any thoughts anyone? I will look up the AquaMira

Valentine
08-26-2008, 10:41
Thank you! Some other ones I saw on-line are:
-SteriPEN Classic (can only purify a Liter at a time)
-MSR Miox (ineffective at less than perfect dose and h20 temperature)
-Katadyn Exstream XR Bottle Purifier...(check pore size on this one)
Need 2 micron absolute- some are 3 micron) Also can only filter one liter at a time.

any thoughts anyone? I will look up the AquaMira

Read this article first before buying

www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_v2_water_efficacy_pdf.html

Personally I don't like having to carry any more batteries than nescessary.

Grumpy
08-26-2008, 10:46
I too am attempting a through hike though am starting a few weeks earlier than you... so say hi as you pass. Anyhow I have been using my MSR HyperFlow filter which I love. Filters at .2 and has a high flow rate. It helps me get clean water quick. My only concern is ensuring I pump all the water out when I am done so it doesn't freeze on me at night and cause a problem. Not a hard task just something I can't forget to do.

Hooch
08-26-2008, 10:49
ULA Amigo Pro (http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm). Gravity filters are tha bomb! 'Nuff said.

Roots
08-26-2008, 10:50
My only concern is ensuring I pump all the water out when I am done so it doesn't freeze on me at night and cause a problem.

Carry a zip lock to put it in at night and put it in your sleep bag with you.

DapperD
08-26-2008, 10:51
ok.. I have to put the dancing banana on here.. :banana

Anyways. My boyfriend and I are going to attempt a thru-hike in '09, leaving mid to late March, North-bound.

Any ideas on good water filters or light-weight water supplies?

Thanks I recently ran a thread asking about " aquamira and it's long term usage" as I too am planning a thru-hike, and want something to rely upon in case of filter failure. The majority of responses said Aqua -Mira when used correctly would be good to use for water purification. I had originally purchased two Katadyn mini-filter water filters and supposedly they are good quality ceramic filters and are among the lightest available at like 8 ozs. and have a very long filter life, however some have said because they are small you must pump them more to achieve the same volume of water as the bigger pumps,also ceramic is vulnerable in cold temperatures and liable to freeze ups and breakage, and must be cleaned often.

Valentine
08-26-2008, 10:52
Grumpy,
Read up on Hyperflow threads. I had to return mine after less than 20 L, wouldn't backflow and became extremely difficult to pump. Take Aqua-Mira as backup. They don't sell it in GA as apparently it can be used as a chemical for making Meth.

Cool AT Breeze
08-26-2008, 10:59
Grumpy,
Read up on Hyperflow threads. I had to return mine after less than 20 L, wouldn't backflow and became extremely difficult to pump. Take Aqua-Mira as backup. They don't sell it in GA as apparently it can be used as a chemical for making Meth.
Bought mine at Mt.Xings.

Valentine
08-26-2008, 11:40
Bought mine at Mt.Xings.

That's what I get for listening to the guy at REI.:-?
Rei doesn't even sell it on their website either.

mtnkngxt
08-26-2008, 11:58
Katadyn Hiker Pro I have used forever and its a good sturdy filter. I'm going to be taking a steripen or it on my thru in 10. Katadyn filter wise is far superior in quality to MSR. I love MSR don't get me wrong, just their mechanical filters don't impress me.

Hne913
08-26-2008, 12:10
Has anyone here used the steripen?

adventurousmtnlvr
08-26-2008, 12:11
ULA Amigo Pro (http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm). Gravity filters are tha bomb! 'Nuff said.

I haven't seen that one yet, thanks!

Valentine
08-26-2008, 12:25
I saw some Scouts strugling to get one to work, dead batteries and then fresh ones didn't work either. You can only filter one liter at a time and you still have to filter out the silt. With the water table low in GA, the steri pen isn't very useful as getting the water out of the itty bitty puddles requires a cup or pump. In my experience a nalgene bottle is too big to scoop up in the many shallow pools I have run accross. Purifying three liters of water and then transferring it to your water bladder seems like a hastle to me, plus the "bulb" burns out after a while.

TunnelvisionGAME09
08-26-2008, 12:25
Has anyone here used the steripen?

My husband and I use the SteriPen Adventurer. I love it. It is pretty light and is easy to use. Also, if you have clear water, there isn't any need to use the pre-filter. In murky conditions you can attach a pre-filter to a Nalgene and you good to go. What is great is that since it is UV light, it kills bacteria/viruses that can fit through a .2.

I recommend it!

Valentine
08-26-2008, 12:26
"You can only filter one liter at a time"
errr Purify one liter at a time

Blissful
08-26-2008, 12:42
Aqua Mira worked fine for us. But we each took our own halfway through the hike.

Lellers
08-26-2008, 13:09
Katadyn Hiker Pro for me. I use a platy, and so I like the in-line connections in the hoses so that I can pump and filter right into the platy and not have to remove it from my pack. On our recent 7-day SNP hike with a 10-person scout group, my Hiker Pro was used most, as the various Sweetwater and MSR filters some of the kids carried did not do the job as quickly.

CrumbSnatcher
08-26-2008, 21:41
HOOCH, thats pretty cool,i was just getting ready to say nothing beats a katadyn filter.(in filters anyway) i've used a sweetwater filter IN 99' SO-SO,CLOGGED ALOT ceramic filter. since then i've used a pur hiker (WHICH IS NOW KATADYN FILTERS) it outperformes the M.S.R. MINIWORKS.AND ANY OTHER FILTER. I COULD PUMP A GALLON AS FAST AS THE MINI-WORKS could pump a quart. keep in mind this is a few years ago(technology happens). it pumps fast and hasn't malfunctioned at all,in over 4,000 miles of use!!! alot of people do the drops.:eek: HYOH alot of the springs along the way i do not filter at all.

Hooch
08-26-2008, 21:44
HOOCH, thats pretty cool,i was just getting ready to say nothing beats a katadyn filter.(in filters anyway) i've used a sweetwater filter IN 99' SO-SO,CLOGGED ALOT ceramic filter. since then i've used a pur hiker (WHICH IS NOW KATADYN FILTERS) it outperformes the M.S.R. MINIWORKS.AND ANY OTHER FILTER. I COULD PUMP A GALLON AS FAST AS THE MINI-WORKS could pump a quart. keep in mind this is a few years ago(technology happens). it pumps fast and hasn't malfunctioned at all,in over 4,000 miles of use!!! alot of people do the drops.:eek: HYOH alot of the springs along the way i do not filter at all.I replaced my Katadyn Hiker Pro with the ULA Amigo. I'm still tryin to figure out how to turn the Katadyn into a lamp. :D

Tinker
08-26-2008, 21:57
I use a First Need filter. I figure the convenience is worth the weight, especially when there are two or more in the party. It filters fast and threads right to Nalgene water bottles (or their Unbottles) and MSR bottles.

Pootz
08-26-2008, 22:07
Check out the link below ( the dosing stratigies section). If you decide to use Aqua Mira it will save you money and make you Aqua Mira last longer. The link is about Klearwater but also talkes about Aqua Mira. I used this dosing strastagy on my thru hike with Aqua Mira and it worked great. You use less treatment when you are not in a hurry for your water. I alway trreated my water for the next day in the evening. Also makes the water taste batter. I tried the Klear water product but found it went bad in hot weather and Aqua Mira is easy to find on the trail.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/klearwater_xinix_chlorine_dioxide_clo2_water_treat ment.html

Lawn Sale
08-27-2008, 00:14
I treat drinking water for a living and have been in the field for about 17 years. I wonder how they got the ClO2 to stabilize? ClO2 is highly unstable, but very powerful, which is why you don't need much of it.

For filters I have a MSR Waterworks EX, a Katadyn Hiker, and a Katadyn Guide. I have used Cl2 and ClO2 for chemcials, and I own a SteriPen Classic and Adventurer models.

For long hikes where weight is a factor, I take the Adventurer and Aqua-Mira as a backup. When it's not a factor I take the Classic and Aqua-Mira. If I know the terrain and the water quality sucks, I also take a filter.

Don't be afraid of the SteriPen, they're constructed well and have a proven track record. I've visited the facility and grilled the engineers and CEO for hours on potential problems, and they are all they're cracked up to be.

gonewalkabout
08-31-2008, 20:49
A friend has used the Katadyn mini filter on many trips with me as I used the Hiker Pro. Each time I watched him fiddle with the mini until it finnly broke on a recent outting. The few times it worked it took him about 3 times the stokes to pump a litter. I only use a filter with a group. Solo I use Aquamira and used it for 20 days on the LT in 04 no problems although its not certifiled as to kill anything and as with any chemical it has a wait time of up to 4 hrs for cold water. I never waited more than an hour.

Gonewalkabout

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 21:21
just posted a document on my thread called "anyone used the steripen that has an opinion" from the Dept. of the Army ... rather long but details results in a number of types of water purifiers and their results including charts ... fyi

adventurousmtnlvr
08-31-2008, 21:35
forgot to put the link so here it is: Dept of Army water purification doc.
(http://usachppm.apgea.army.mil/wpd/pdfdocs/finalreport.pdf)

squantrilll
09-05-2008, 16:34
I use a millbank bag to filter the water then eithe riodine tincture or Chlorine tablets if im in a hurry or boil if I have time..

tucker0104
09-08-2008, 22:13
Katadyn Hiker Pro works great for me. 100+ gallons and going.

Socrates
09-23-2008, 10:56
AquaMira worked fine for me. I sent my pump home my first stop at Mountain Crossings. (among other things... And I don't want to hear a word from anyone about my Nemo tent! lol) It was just weight that I didn't need, not to mention completely useless if it breaks.
I used a small plastic cup to dip the water into my bottles. A few stops I ended up with tiny debris but not enough to bother me and on rarities when it might be a concern, you can just use a bandanna or shirt to to use as a filter on top of the bottle as you pour.
As far as having to wait 15 minutes, is 15 minutes really gonna kill ya? Hell it takes time to pump anyway. And as far as the chemical taste, whatever. I never noticed. I used individual flavoring packs. But if you want only water, when you're tired and/or sweaty, it'll be the least of your concerns and I'm not saying it has a chemical taste anyway.
Good luck with your hike. I think buddies/companions stand a better chance at finishing if you get along. I wished I had one for the company. My ex-fiance broke up with me just months before my hike and we were supposed to go together. That's partially the reason I got off the trail. So my personal lesson learned? I won't attempt it again till I have a girl in my life to go with me. I'm just not solo material.

wrongway_08
09-23-2008, 11:45
Katadyn Hiker Pro for me. I use a platy, and so I like the in-line connections in the hoses so that I can pump and filter right into the platy and not have to remove it from my pack. On our recent 7-day SNP hike with a 10-person scout group, my Hiker Pro was used most, as the various Sweetwater and MSR filters some of the kids carried did not do the job as quickly.

X2 :D

Mine worked great overall during the thru and when the filter clogs, just wash it off in the stream and your good to go!

mtnkngxt
09-23-2008, 11:45
So basically as far as water treatment goes.

Filters- Pur of Katadyn are the most reliable.

Chemical- Aquamira or Polar Pur

DIY- Stuff sack with inline filter or katadyn filter.

Then theres the steripen and MIOX....

Anyone used the MIOX

Hikes in Rain
09-23-2008, 12:17
I do. Got one as a gift (those things are WAY expensive). But they're light, do a pretty good job of sanitizing water, you can treat a boatload of water all at once, and they have the cool gadget thing going. I usually draw a crowd. Downsides are that they use a hefty battery that doesn't fit anything else in my gear, and they're a sanitizer, not a purifier. That would mean I'm pretty picky about my sources, since it won't do a thing about any organics or sediments in the source water.

And the chlorine "soup" it produces has a serious bleaching effect if you drip it on your clothes!

LIhikers
09-23-2008, 12:25
Most of my hiking is with my wife and she doesn't want to use chemicals to treat the water due to a minor medical concern. So, we've got a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter and it seems to work well. I recommend it.

mtnkngxt
09-23-2008, 12:33
x2 on the katadyn thats what i have, also bought a steripen haven't used it yet.

cravj1988
09-23-2008, 13:26
I thru hiked last year (GAME07), and started with an MSR filter (2 lbs.) Switched to aquamira at neals gap (2 oz), but I did not like the taste. Finally at the NOC I switched to bleach in a 2 oz rei bottle. Make sure the bleach is no less than 6% sodiumhypochloride. I prefer the lemon scented. 2 drops per liter is all you need to sanitize the water. Let stand 20 min if the water is really cold, and be smart about the source. Also the bleach is good for killing chiggers under the skin, and for cleaning bed rolls at Hostels which may have MRSA-staph. After hurricane katrina, there were hundreds of journal articles related to purifying water, so look them up if you do not trust me. 98% of the worlds water supply is treated with chlorine. One tablespoon of 6% bleach will purify 5 gal of water. That relates to 2 drops per liter.

Nitro
09-23-2008, 13:39
Katadyn Hiker Pro with a (new) fuel filter added to the intake line.

The pre-filter is to avoid clogging the main ($$$) filter. Someone on here posted that suggestion a year or two ago. :banana
It really seems to help, but YMMV. It does add weight and bulk to an already big filter, but it's worth it IMO.

gravityman
09-23-2008, 13:48
use the MIOX in 2005. Work 100%, but we got REALLY sick of the taste somewhere in NY. We did everything we could to find potable water from that point North. So I wouldn't suggest it for a through hike if you are taste sensitive.

We use a filter now. Miniworks, but I hate how slow it is. The Hyperflow is very interesting, but haven't decided based on a few people's clogging complaint. I'll most likely buy it from REI so I can exchange it if I'm not happy with performance.

Gravity

lonehiker
09-23-2008, 14:17
[quote=mtnkngxt;700472]So basically as far as water treatment goes.

Filters- Pur of Katadyn are the most reliable.

I have always used a General Ecology First Need water filter (15+ years). It has always been reliable. During my appx 1,700 AT miles this summer, I used two cartridges (had just started on my third). Might have been able to get more out of each cartridge but had sent myself a replacement in a re-supply box. I had not even backflushed either one.

I have filtered some very nasty water with it and have never suffered any digestive issues.

Drawback is that it is heavier than most. But, water consumption is arguably one of the most critical things to consider on a thru-hike (any hike for that matter) so it is an area that I don't compromise on.

Lawn Sale
09-26-2008, 23:53
The MIOX is just a bleach generator, nothing more. It produces hypochlorous acid, which is the component of bleach that actually does the work. I find it better to just bring the bleach, if that's what I'm going to use.

Hikes in Rain
09-27-2008, 09:10
Sort of correct. It does produce a very dilute chlorine solution (Cl2 + HOCl +OCl-). Other, more potent (and unstable) chloroxygen compounds are also created, which seem to have more potent disinfection efficiency than chlorine.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before. Here's a website with a very extensive review, user feedback and company (and other experts) responses. Tons of great info on the MIOX. http://stuff.silverorange.com/archive/2004/september/msrmioxpurifier

It's not perfect, not by any means. But if your water sources are good, such as springs, creeks in protected areas near the source and the like, it's a very compact and lightweight alternative to filters and other methods.

Lawn Sale
09-27-2008, 12:27
The "chloroxygen compounds" are most probably minuscule traces of Ozone (O3), ClO2 (Chlorine Dioxide), and/or H2O2 (peroxide) which are also used in municipal water treatment. But, these traces would be tiny, and I doubt effective at inactivating the protozoan oocysts like they claim, since they must be generated on-site because they're so unstable.

I contacted them years ago when the MIOX first debuted, and got their technical data, of which there was very little. Now maybe they have done more testing since then, but at the time there was nothing to verify their claims.

I treat water for a living and have been in the business for 17 years now, so I am able to read and digest the technical reports, which is why I bought and use a SteriPen (http://www.hydro-photon.com/outdoors.html) (their technical data (http://www.hydro-photon.com/familyhealth/testing.html) is posted on their website). That doesn't mean other forms of water treatment are any less effective, so please don't think I'm trying to pick on MSR, I have a lot of their gear and love all of it. All I ask is that they back up their claims with scientific proof, which they were unable to do at the time.

I see from the website you posted (thanks for the link), that other people had and have the same questions. I haven't been through all of it, but there is some great info there.

Hikes in Rain
09-27-2008, 14:25
Those would have been my guesses, as well, particularly the chlorine dioxide. Not sure about the ozone, although it could come about simply from the current. Also agree there wouldn't be much of them, and question their overall contribution to the mix. Particularly any ozone created, it's really unstable! I don't doubt the effectiveness of the unit itself, though. I don't treat water, but I am an environmental engineer, crossed over from a medical technologist (never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up), and I do agree wholeheartedly and professionally with your observations.

One of the first things I learned from all that info was that I was using the darned thing wrong, which explained why it didn't work. My early model needs a little more vigorous shaking to dissolve the salt than later models, which caused frequent failures. Now it just always works.

On my own, I discovered you really don't want to test it out using tap water, which is already chlorinated. The double dose really brings out the "swimming pool" odor and flavor! In the field, I really don't notice it, but the flavor and coolness of the water seems pretty much unaffected.

If memory serves, a lot of the tech info you'll want is buried in the various responses. Unfortunatly, I think you'll have to wade through all of them to find it! I did a couple of years ago, when I first started using the thing and found the site, but I've slept since then.