PDA

View Full Version : Foot Print on Tent

Glee
03-09-2004, 13:58
It's been years since I've done any camping and I just got a used REI Camp Dome 2 for $39.00. Anyway, I purchased a new footprint as I wanted to stay dry during a hard rain. Am I missing something here as it only seems to be a piece of tarp with 4 holes for the poles to go into. I thought some how the thing would cover more of sides of the bottom of the tent.. Any ideas or web sites for staying dry in a downpour would be great as well..

MOWGLI
03-09-2004, 14:14
It's been years since I've done any camping and I just got a used REI Camp Dome 2 for $39.00. Anyway, I purchased a new footprint as I wanted to stay dry during a hard rain. Am I missing something here as it only seems to be a piece of tarp with 4 holes for the poles to go into. I thought some how the thing would cover more of sides of the bottom of the tent.. Any ideas or web sites for staying dry in a downpour would be great as well..

Glee,

Ideally, a footprint will fit the bottom of your tent almost exactly. It will be just a tiny bit smaller than the bottom side of your tent. You don't want the footprint sticking out from under your tent, because in a hard rain, the water will flow under your tent between the footprint and the floor of your tent.

Regarding how to stay dry, if you purchased this tent used, I would invest $5 and some of your time to seal the seams of your tent. Most tent manufacturers suggest that you seal the seams on a new tent. My tent that I bought in 2000 (new) had to have the seams sealed a 2nd time in 2003.

As they say, better safe than sorry.

Glee
03-09-2004, 15:01
Regarding how to stay dry, if you purchased this tent used, I would invest $5 and some of your time to seal the seams of your tent. Most tent manufacturers suggest that you seal the seams on a new tent. My tent that I bought in 2000 (new) had to have the seams sealed a 2nd time in 2003.

Thanks... What do you use to seal the seams and where do you purchase it..
Thanks again..

MOWGLI
03-09-2004, 15:44
What do you use to seal the seams and where do you purchase it..
Thanks again..

Here's a product sold by Campmor. Go to any outfitter, and ask for seam sealer for a tent. Anyplace that sells tents should have it in stock.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=12389&memberId=12500226&storeId=226

Glee
03-10-2004, 00:02
Thanks for the info and link... Now if I can only figure out which side faces up.. I'm thinking the shiny (Shinnier) side goes toward the ground...