PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Moosilauke

ChinMusic
08-26-2008, 12:55
How easy it it for a NOBO to make a wrong turn after summitting Mt. Moosilauke? A buddy of mine said it wasn't well marked up there and he took the wrong path for about half a mile and had to resummit.

The Old Fhart
08-26-2008, 13:11
The summit of Moosilauke is above treeline and you have a few trails converging at the summit. Any hiker carrying a map shouldn't have a problem. I suspect a number of hikers continue north on the Benton Trail past where the A.T. turns right (east) 0.4 miles from the summit.

Undershaft
08-26-2008, 13:19
Right after you go over the summit the trail drops below treeline and there is an intersection of trails. There are signs that clearly label which trail is the AT. On the actual summit is a sign that says: <- AT -> , clearly showing which direction the AT goes. The only other trail leaving the summit is the gorge brook trail, also clearly labeled. Your buddy was wrong, All the trails on Moosilauke are clearly marked by signs. Pay attention and you will have no trouble finding your way. BTW heading nobo you want to take the Beaver Brook trail after the summit.

Kerosene
08-26-2008, 13:58
I passed over NOBO in wind-blown fog and drizzle near dusk in September 2006. Fortunately I had heard that there was a turn at the summit, so as I started down after turning left at the summit sign I had a sense that I might not be on the right trail. I huddled down against a rock outside the wind, pulled out the guidebook (I'm not sure that the map resolution would have been sufficient), and read that I should have made a hard left turn around the old foundation of the summit house. Upon taking that turn I soon ran into a series of cairns that took me back to treeline. I either didn't see the clear signage that Undershaft mentions (my glasses were pretty worthless in the blowing mist) or it didn't exist then.

chuckbuster
08-26-2008, 13:59
Unfortunately it is entirely possible to make a wrong turn. In '06 an older gentleman made a wrong turn on the summit and hiked off the mountain only to find out that he went the wrong way and had to hike back up again. He came into Beaver Brook Shelter later that afternoon soaked to the bone and hypothermic. Maybe it was the near horizontal rain on the summit that caused his wrong turn! I fondly recall the pain and discomfort of icy cold rain drops driven into my eyes at 50+ mph that day. A mistake above treeline can be your last one, stay safe and carry a map!

Feed the Mountain!

Chaco Taco
08-26-2008, 14:07
Ill let you know tommorow after i go over it!:sun

smaaax
08-26-2008, 14:13
I missed the turn because I wasn't paying much attention. It is marked, but make sure you turn at the sign.

ChinMusic
08-26-2008, 14:30
Ill let you know tommorow after i go over it!:sun
SWEET!!! At least now you know to not just take the first trail you see.......:D

gravityman
08-26-2008, 14:54
This is true throughout the whites. Confusing junctions without always a clear label that says AT. Often missing white blazes for stretches too. Can't go on autopilot for that stretch...

Blissful
08-26-2008, 15:26
Another good plug for the necessity of maps.... :)

We also did the mtn in fog and rain, but had a map.

Footslogger
08-26-2008, 15:32
This is true throughout the whites. Confusing junctions without always a clear label that says AT. Often missing white blazes for stretches too. Can't go on autopilot for that stretch...
=====================

Amen to that ...and following other hikers who "seem" to know where they are going isn't necessariliy the best strategy either. I walked quite a ways off course/trail in a fog during my 2003 thru. Saw the sillouette of a hiker up ahead and went in that direction. That hiker eventually disappeared (??) and I looked off my right shoulder and happened to spot a tall cairn with what looked like a white blaze on it. Sure enough ...that was the AT and I had apparently gone off on one of the side trails that drop down off the ridge toward tree line. Sure glad I caught that before I had gone much further.

'Slogger

emerald
08-26-2008, 15:32
There is a reason to carry guidebooks, read them and proceed with care especially above treeline when the weather demands it. Through hikers who refuse to carry guidebooks should not blame A.T. maintaining clubs for their failure to have what other thinking hikers have in their packs. The world does not revolve around them or their self-imposed budgetary or pack-weight constraints.

Pedaling Fool
08-26-2008, 15:48
I went over it on a cloudless day and don't remember having any problems, despite it being a rocky top and other trail(s) merging on the summit. I've had some hard times staying on the trail on rocky mountain tops, especially up north; my hardest time was crossing the Baldpates with low visibility and wind gusts~50 mph. (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20610&c=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=6936&cutoffdate=-1)

Lion King
08-26-2008, 17:09
1998, I was going over the top in a heavy cloud and wind storm.

It was late in the day and the other 4 hikers I was with where huddled behind the stone wall trying to dry out and eat a snack. I decided to keep going.

I missed the turn to the right that leads to Beaver Brook shelter and kept going.

After a long time I realized I was way wrong, but becasue of weather I kept going.

I ended up somewhere on Kinsman road but found my way back to the bottom of Kinsman Notch the next morning and found my crew all napping.

Head down in a storm aint always the best thing.

Undershaft
08-26-2008, 17:19
I passed over NOBO in wind-blown fog and drizzle near dusk in September 2006. Fortunately I had heard that there was a turn at the summit, so as I started down after turning left at the summit sign I had a sense that I might not be on the right trail. I huddled down against a rock outside the wind, pulled out the guidebook (I'm not sure that the map resolution would have been sufficient), and read that I should have made a hard left turn around the old foundation of the summit house. Upon taking that turn I soon ran into a series of cairns that took me back to treeline. I either didn't see the clear signage that Undershaft mentions (my glasses were pretty worthless in the blowing mist) or it didn't exist then.

The signs were there in Sept. of 2005. It's bright orange, about 1.5 feet wide and 8" tall and says TRAILS in big letters at the top. It then lists the various trails with arrows pointing the direction to the trails off the summit. It's located directly on the summit underneath the bright red sign that says Mt. Moosilauke 4802 ft., and directly above the sign that says AT with two arrows indicating which way the trail goes. The summit is the intersection of two trails: The Appalachian Trail and the Gorge Brook Trail. It's not a confusing intersection. The summit signs are on a post about three feet tall on top of the rocks a couple feet off the trail on the true summit. The sign will be on your right if you are NOBO.

Undershaft
08-26-2008, 17:27
1998, I was going over the top in a heavy cloud and wind storm.

It was late in the day and the other 4 hikers I was with where huddled behind the stone wall trying to dry out and eat a snack. I decided to keep going.

I missed the turn to the right that leads to Beaver Brook shelter and kept going.

After a long time I realized I was way wrong, but becasue of weather I kept going.

I ended up somewhere on Kinsman road but found my way back to the bottom of Kinsman Notch the next morning and found my crew all napping.

Head down in a storm aint always the best thing.

I don't know what it was like in '98, but in 2005 there was a large sign at that trail intersection. You were on the Benton trail. The sign has a large arrow with AT NORTH printed next to it to guide hikers in the right direction.

It was a clear day when I hiked Moosilauke. If the fog/clouds are thick it may be possible to miss the signs (I think thats why they are painted in bright colors). Just pay attention and keep an eye out for the big, bright signs and you should have no problem navigating over the summit of Mt. Moosilauke.

Kerosene
08-26-2008, 17:30
The signs were there in Sept. of 2005. It's bright orange, about 1.5 feet wide and 8" tall and says TRAILS in big letters at the top. It then lists the various trails with arrows pointing the direction to the trails off the summit. It's located directly on the summit underneath the bright red sign that says Mt. Moosilauke 4802 ft., and directly above the sign that says AT with two arrows indicating which way the trail goes. The summit is the intersection of two trails: The Appalachian Trail and the Gorge Brook Trail. It's not a confusing intersection. The summit signs are on a post about three feet tall on top of the rocks a couple feet off the trail on the true summit. The sign will be on your right if you are NOBO.You're correct, that bright organe sign was there. However, it was very easy to mistake a soft left with a hard left, especially when you can't see more than 50 feet of trail in any direction. Take a hard left at the sign and a cairn with a white blaze should show up in 100 feet or so.

Lion King
08-26-2008, 17:32
I don't know what it was like in '98, but in 2005 there was a large sign at that trail intersection. You were on the Benton trail. The sign has a large arrow with AT NORTH printed next to it to guide hikers in the right direction.

It was a clear day when I hiked Moosilauke. If the fog/clouds are thick it may be possible to miss the signs (I think thats why they are painted in bright colors). Just pay attention and keep an eye out for the big, bright signs and you should have no problem navigating over the summit of Mt. Moosilauke.

The sign was there but it wasnt visible in the weather.

I have sinced hiked the Moose probably 50 times or more. I used to work at Lost River Gorge and would hike beer and food up to the shelter and then hike over to Packrats to jam some guitar for the weekend, then hike back to my house in Lincoln.

I miss NH.

ChinMusic
08-26-2008, 17:43
My buddy did say the weather was poor, "once above treeline, enough wind to knock me off my feet twice".

I would think a GPS would be better than a map for this type of problem. I could see the AT on my GPS and it would be obvious to me in short order if I was going the wrong way. With a map, in poor visibility, I still would be guessing for awhile.

Undershaft
08-26-2008, 17:47
The two trails are at a ninety degree angle to each other. If you stand facing the summit signs you can go: STRAIGHT ahead(forward) onto the gorge brook trail; LEFT on the AT north; RIGHT on the AT south. I don't see how you could be confused if you saw (and presumably READ) the signs. The arrows point in different directions, left for the AT, straight up(ahead) for the gorge brook.

Anyway, it's a moot point because they changed the sign. It's now even easier to find your way at that tough two-way trail intersection. Here are some images from the gallery.
New summit sign (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15375&catid=searchresults&searchid=17117)
and Again (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22076&catid=searchresults&searchid=17117)
They actually made the new bright orange signs in the shape of arrows (still pointing at ninety degrees to each other) to further indicate to confused people which way to go.

Undershaft
08-26-2008, 17:54
The sign was there but it wasnt visible in the weather.

I have sinced hiked the Moose probably 50 times or more. I used to work at Lost River Gorge and would hike beer and food up to the shelter and then hike over to Packrats to jam some guitar for the weekend, then hike back to my house in Lincoln.

I miss NH.

Yeah, looking at my photos, the sign at the intersection of the Beaver Brook trail(AT) and Benton trail is painted brown. If you were hiking with your head pointed down (likely in nasty weather) you could walk right by it. Must have been nice to work right at the base of the mountain. Moosilauke is one of my favorite summits.

Undershaft
08-26-2008, 17:58
My buddy did say the weather was poor, "once above treeline, enough wind to knock me off my feet twice".

I would think a GPS would be better than a map for this type of problem. I could see the AT on my GPS and it would be obvious to me in short order if I was going the wrong way. With a map, in poor visibility, I still would be guessing for awhile.

You're probably right about a GPS in situations of very poor visibility. And it does get windy up there. I've been hit by gusts in the Presidentials that slapped me and my pack down like wheat before a scythe.

Frosty
08-26-2008, 18:01
Your buddy was wrong, All the trails on Moosilauke are clearly marked by signs.Yeah, I never heard of anyone ever getting lost in the Whites anywhere. :rolleyes:

Easy to get turned around on Moosilauke. Best thing is to do what his buddy did. Turn back and make sure you're on the right trail.

Keeping going because you THINK the trail marking was clear is a great way to go down the wrong trail.

Undershaft
08-26-2008, 18:32
Yeah, I never heard of anyone ever getting lost in the Whites anywhere. :rolleyes:

Easy to get turned around on Moosilauke. Best thing is to do what his buddy did. Turn back and make sure you're on the right trail.

Keeping going because you THINK the trail marking was clear is a great way to go down the wrong trail.

I disagree. The sign clearly marks the TWO trails that converge on the summit. If you can't read a sign and follow the arrows, you will get lost anywhere. The sign is even easier to read and follow now, based on the photos. The two trails are perpendicular to each other. One is clearly labeled as the AT the other is not. In order to lose the trail you have to climb over a big pile of rocks and descend steeply in a totally different direction. To stay on the AT you just keep going straight.

Yeah, people get lost in the Whites. But the intersection on the summit of Moosilauke is very easy compared to other places in the Whites. It's not like Thunderstorm Junction or Tuckerman Junction where you have five different trails radiating in five different directions. If you are heading nobo over Moosilauke, you either continue straight on the AT or you turn right ninety degrees onto the Gorge Brook trail.

CrumbSnatcher
08-26-2008, 18:59
Ill let you know tommorow after i go over it!:sunchaco i hope you have good weather thru the whites and southern maine. the descent down moosehawkie is awesome. please tell packrat hello for me. and that i'll see him next year... thanks :)peace

Kirby
08-26-2008, 20:45
I was socked in on the summit and had no trouble finding my way, but I could see how you could loose trail if you are not paying attention to the signs.

In the Whites, you need to read all trail junction signs to see which path the AT takes. There are spots where the AT makes a sharp turn while another path continues in the same general direction you are going.

Kirby

fiddlehead
08-26-2008, 21:38

Correct! Here's what it looked like last time i was up there. http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/moosilauki01.jpg
I knew pretty much which way to go having been there 3 or 4 times previously but it was still heavy winds and some guess work.
If you had the trail already on your GPS, it should tell you if you are going to right way or not. Even in fog and heavy wind.

Yes a map would tell you also (with your compass) but these were probably 50+ mph winds this day and i don't see how you could get your map out in that weather. Just get below treeline and hunker down and attempt to figure it out.

Flush2wice
08-26-2008, 23:34
This sign says "all trails go left".

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/4/9/P1010107.JPG

wakapak
08-27-2008, 08:07
In NH while hiking that AT, it's best to know the names of that trails that AT takes, and to have the maps with you. if you pay attention to the names of the trails, then you won't get lost.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2008, 08:15
AWWWWWW YEA Baby, its on!!!!

refreeman
08-27-2008, 14:33
How easy it it for a NOBO to make a wrong turn after summitting Mt. Moosilauke? A buddy of mine said it wasn't well marked up there and he took the wrong path for about half a mile and had to resummit.

As a new AT hiker, a long time ago, at 2 months into a 3 month section hike I lost the trail on Mt. Moosilauke. The fog rolled in fast, and dusk fell quickly as a lightning storm blew in from the west. I just couldn't see anything anymore. I sort of slept on top of Mt. Moosilauke next to a pile of rocks, in 60 mph winds, rain and truly scary close lightning strikes. I only hoped hypothermia acted slowly as I waited shivering for dawn.

ChinMusic
08-27-2008, 14:41
As a new AT hiker, a long time ago, at 2 months into a 3 month section hike I lost the trail on Mt. Moosilauke. The fog rolled in fast, and dusk fell quickly as a lightning storm blew in from the west. I just couldn't see anything anymore. I sort of slept on top of Mt. Moosilauke next to a pile of rocks, in 60 mph winds, rain and truly scary close lightning strikes. I only hoped hypothermia acted slowly as I waited shivering for dawn.
Note to self: Get an EARLY start on this section.

Pedaling Fool
08-27-2008, 14:52
...I sort of slept on top of Mt. Moosilauke next to a pile of rocks, in 60 mph winds, rain and truly scary close lightning strikes. I only hoped hypothermia acted slowly as I waited shivering for dawn.
Did you sleep near these rocks on top of Mt Moosilauke

Also there's a pic of the trail, headed north, looks easy, but I wouldn't want to follow it in heavy fog.

And another pic of the sign.