PDA

View Full Version : at the end of JMT

garbanz
08-26-2008, 13:19
At the end of my JMT hike I will be exiting (possibly camping overnight) at Whitney Portal. My flight home is out of Reno. I know I can catch a bus from Lone Pine to Bishop to Reno. Does anyone have any ideas on how far it is from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine and how I can get there?:banana:banana

Phreak
08-26-2008, 13:23
PM Doodah Man. He's planning our itinerary for our JMT trip, and we are starting at Lone Pine, so I'm sure he can answer your questions.

MOWGLI
08-26-2008, 13:31
Does anyone have any ideas on how far it is from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine and how I can get there?:banana:banana

You need to hitch or ask someone for a ride. You certainly don't want to walk it. It's maybe a 20 minute drive. Took us about an hour to find a ride in '06.

The Old Fhart
08-26-2008, 14:06
There are plenty of people near the store at Whitney portal you can ask for a ride. There is also a good chance that you'll meet someone on the trail down to Whitney Portal that will be willing to give you a ride after chatting with you on the trail. If you get a ride the first stop will be Lone Pine at I-395.

TwoForty
08-26-2008, 20:54
Walk a few feet down from the store to the lower parking lot and stick out your thumb. It's the easiest hitch ever.

Jim Adams
08-27-2008, 00:38
If you stay on the road out of Whitney Portal it ends in Lone Pine.

geek

garbanz
08-27-2008, 06:43
I'll try thumbing, thanks all.

doodah man
08-27-2008, 15:03
I'll try thumbing, thanks all.
Hey garbanz, you should have no problem. The only way out from Whitney Portal is through Lone Pine. There will be many dozens of backpackers, hikers, and visitors heading home through Lone Pine every day. The majority of who would be happy to give you a lift. doodah-man

Dogwood
08-27-2008, 20:23
I agree with TwoForty. I did the same thing last year on July 5 after thru-hiking the JMT and got a ride to Lone Pine from the first person I asked, but of course I'm young and sexy. Seriously, it is always harder for someone to say no to a ride when U politely ask in person rather than simply sticking your thumb out there.

Dogwood
08-27-2008, 20:25
Oh, and it helps to tell perspective rides what U just did and where U need to go. And, by the way, take off the shades.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-27-2009, 14:10
There's a shuttle service at Lone Pine - Bob Ennis does multiple trips a day up to the Portal and down, and if you need a special drop somewhere else he can do this provided you ask early enough. We used his service to go from Lone Pine to Tuolumne Meadows last summer, split the cost with 3 other hikers who had just finished the hike and wanted to get back to their cars.

http://www.mtwhitneyshuttle.com/

Bob only operates this business in the summers when there are plenty of tourists in the area.

He's also a great unbiased resource for all transportation questions regarding the eastern sierra