PDA

View Full Version : Wet suits to combat hypothermia

Jamie Ganote
08-26-2008, 23:28
any one ever used or heard of using a wet suit vest and/or possibly pants or short pants to ward off the cold. they keep us warm here in the winter months when the water is very cold.

HikerRanky
08-26-2008, 23:42
I would be concerned about the loss of water that would result from wearing a wet suit or the vest outside of the water.... Your liquid consumption would have to increase to account for the extra loss...

Randy

smokymtnsteve
08-26-2008, 23:48
vapor barrier type gear is available.

cavscout
08-26-2008, 23:48
During a hike or for an emergency? The times I've spent in a wet suit out of water for long periods of time have been miserably hot. Perhaps a vest would not be near as hot but I suspect you would spend more time with it unzipped that it would not be worth carrying. Add to it the tight fit in order to be effective and it won't be very comfortable.

Better to wear clothing that will dry quickly and easily like polyester or nylon and have wind resistant, heat retaining outer layer.

Jim Adams
08-27-2008, 00:34
I once rode a motorcycle from Pennsylvania to Florida in the winter in 6 " of snow. It was about 25* out and I wore my whitewater wet suit under my normal winter weather riding clothes. I stayed very warm for about 5 hours then I developed a thin layer of sweat between my skin and the neoprene and there was no way to get rid of it. It made me slightly chilled for the next 11 hours even though the weather became warmer as I went south. When I finally stopped in the morning and removed the wetsuit, my entire body felt like it took a giant breath.

geek

mweinstone
08-27-2008, 06:50
no. no one has ever heard of this. it is the first time anyone has spoken those words even. of all the monkeys typing in all the countrys who support monky typeing, this is unknown. even on the moon their is no evedence of any sort of wet suit for cold prevention while hikeing going on. but in your mind, back in the section called area 56, you came up with it and it searves you well in your world. now bring it to the trail and each and every human being i meet will ask, did you see them hikeing with wet suits? and ill say, yes. i know those folks from whiteblaze and their not so weird in my opinion. and the guy might say, well if you ask me, its weird. and ill say it isnt . and well fight. to the death of course. later we picked blueberries and designed an entire wet suit wardeobe includeing a wet suit top hat.

kayak karl
08-27-2008, 07:29
any one ever used or heard of using a wet suit vest and/or possibly pants or short pants to ward off the cold. they keep us warm here in the winter months when the water is very cold.
Yes. I also coverted my scuba tanks into a backpack. one holds water, other rest of gear. i tinted my facemask for those sunny days. don't worry about what others say, we look cool when fording
and:welcome

Tipi Walter
08-27-2008, 08:19
no. no one has ever heard of this. it is the first time anyone has spoken those words even. of all the monkeys typing in all the countrys who support monky typeing, this is unknown. even on the moon their is no evedence of any sort of wet suit for cold prevention while hikeing going on. but in your mind, back in the section called area 56, you came up with it and it searves you well in your world. now bring it to the trail and each and every human being i meet will ask, did you see them hikeing with wet suits? and ill say, yes. i know those folks from whiteblaze and their not so weird in my opinion. and the guy might say, well if you ask me, its weird. and ill say it isnt . and well fight. to the death of course. later we picked blueberries and designed an entire wet suit wardeobe includeing a wet suit top hat.

Wow. I like your train of thought. I don't know who should get the Lysergic Diethylamide Award For Best Post Ever, you or the guy from Area 56. ". . . of all the monkeys typing in all the countrys who support monkey typing . . ." Wow.

Wags
08-27-2008, 16:41
perhaps the OP is referring to something like this:

http://www.40below.com/product_detail_public.php?ProductID=310

Jim Adams
08-27-2008, 17:08
includeing a wet suit top hat.

too floppy Matty...need kevlar spine inserted.:eek:

geek

mweinstone
08-28-2008, 06:50
threads are like liveing rooms. this ones comfy and old and dusty but has sunlight and cool. why cant everyone on whiteblaze travel around in wolfpacks and hang out . we could crash a thread like this then move on when the guys mom comes home.

mweinstone
08-28-2008, 06:51
yes, the wet suit thread is where its at this week. im gettin comfy.

mkmangold
08-28-2008, 20:13
yes, the wet suit thread is where its at this week. im gettin comfy.

Or, we could reverse engineer scuba diving and teach 'em a new sport called "Ultralight Scuba Diving." I also dive so the first thing we need to work on are the tanks. Maybe kevlar with titanium valves? Or clipping off the ends of the fins to save weight? A long, thin snorkel that multi-tasks as a spear?

Wolf - 23000
08-28-2008, 22:39
I would not sugest using a wet suit vest in the winter. It will always be wet and quickly turn to into a frozen ice suit on top where your not moving as much.

Wolf

Jager
08-29-2008, 09:07
Or you could try something like the bikers wear...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2692411&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627620

Regards,
J.

mkmangold
08-29-2008, 20:07
Hey, check out my new signature!

kayak karl
08-29-2008, 20:35
Hey, check out my new signature!
there's spelling and punctuation errors in it and...............OH, -mweinstone.

NEVER MIND:D

CaptainScarlet
08-29-2008, 21:59
http://www.knightsedge.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/suit-of-armor-6012.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ALAN%7E1.ALA/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Gray Blazer
08-29-2008, 22:21
Wow. I like your train of thought. I don't know who should get the Lysergic Diethylamide Award For Best Post Ever, you or the guy from Area 56. ". . . of all the monkeys typing in all the countrys who support monkey typing . . ." Wow.

Timothy Leary would be proud of him.

brooklynkayak
11-20-2008, 20:33
For anyone who should even think about it. A wetsuit is heavy for the amount of insulation it provides. A drysuit or drytop with fleece inside is much better, I know, I've used em a bit:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_avtZwXtvmP8/R3SYgV6ocNI/AAAAAAAACns/0QQdkaOhK6Y/s400/IMGP5026.JPG

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 20:42
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:aaqmf0PDDksJ::paxarcana.files.wordpre ss.com/2008/06/monkey_typing.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/monkey_typing.jpg&imgrefurl=http://paxarcana.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/you-too-can-be-a-star-on-the-internet/&h=294&w=445&sz=16&tbnid=aaqmf0PDDksJ::&tbnh=84&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmonkey%2Btyping&usg=__tzuzpfLRl8WT7onMTkD0BvQlLkA=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1)

JAK
11-20-2008, 21:37
I like to mix gear between sailing and paddling and hiking. I brought my neoprene booties for a hike May 1st-4th on the Fungi Footpath and they worked really well, as the trail was an icy wet snow ditch. I've thought of bringing my splash jacket, and some other stuff, but they really aren't suited. Too heavy. Even for heavy freezing rain wool and fleece and skin layers underneath a waterproof layer is a better way to go. Neoprene or dry suits are only better for 100% immersion, which really only happens with feet. Neoprene cuffs and collars might be interesting for rain gear. Banana. Banana. Must go get banana.

Dogwood
11-21-2008, 00:34
Some cruel cruel funny sh#t!

Tinker
11-21-2008, 02:14
Neoprene is heavy and bulky. Two things that don't fit the hiking style well. In the absence of water, you'd probably be warmer with a down or polyester filled garment and a vapor barrier than a wetsuit garment offering equal coverage. Also, wet suits are not designed for easy ventilation - important for the hiker. Also, I wouldn't want to wear a neoprene garment day after day. You think polyester underwear gets stinky.............

Old Hillwalker
11-21-2008, 08:10
We sure coulda used a wetsuit SOBO in Maine this past July.

Why not try a Tyvek coverall set, you know like Hazmat matty wears on occasion.

Tyvek shorts and black Tyvek teeshirt with no sleeves and a White blaze on the front and maybe a McCain.

Just hijacking this thread. Hi Jack:D

Roots
11-21-2008, 08:27
Health, Safety, and hygiene....wet suits...monkeys....OK, GOT IT! :D